Showjumping on Sunday!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
So far this year I have been show jumping and was eliminated twice, once for missing a jump out and then being overly cautious and doing an extra one, whoops!

And then I went to a clear round competition and was merrily heading to the gate at the end when one of the dads told me I still had a jump to go.

Seems I am not very good at remembering where I'm going in the ring!

On Sunday I am hacking over with a horsey friend to a nearby yard show and we are both going to give the 50cm and perhaps the 60cm course a go. If anyone has any spare good luck vibes I could do with them. I am just hoping to get round the whole course accurately!!

Good luck! I used to have to remember courses by shape (eg figure of eight, change rein across the diagonal etc) because I couldn't do it by fences. Once I get beyond about 4 fences I'm lost lol.

Reactions: MrA
You will get better at remembering courses the more practise you get. Though I have to admit that even after several years' competing there was still always one point in every course where I knew I'd forget whether to go left or right!

Definitely always make sure you know where the start AND finish flags are. In the past I have seen several people do all their jumps and fail to ride through the finish.

I would walk to course, then try and make sure your not entered to jump first and watch others jump the course( this is the way I learn best) I find walking the course helpful but actually watching the course been jumped sinks in far easier for me. Remember to keep calm and be aware of where the beam is so you don't accidentally break it as you enter the ring. You will be fine, but try if at all possible to watch someone go round before you go in. x

Well I remembered the course this time, helped that it was only 8 jumps! And my share horse jumped beautifully and obviously pretty speedily as we came 2nd out of about 15!! Couldn't believe it, very very pleased with how good he was!

There may be a professional picture later depending on how silly a face I was pulling and how much they are :D

newrider.com