Side Reins?

Rarah

A hole in my Logic!
Sep 28, 2003
West Yorkshire
Visit site
About a month ago, Monac and my daughter's pony spooked and bolted out on a hack, which was very scarey and we were both injured (horses OK though :) )

Couldn't ride for a while, so stuck to lunging to keep Monac's fitness up. When I went out for our first hack since, I went with Monac's owner, who was riding the pony that spooked with my daugher. Anyway, Monac took off with me again, went cantering up the wrong side of the road, it took a while for me to bring him back under control this totally knocked my confidence.

His owner has suggested I try riding in side reins as he lifts his head when he takes off with me. I normally use a martingale, but this dosn't seem to do anything (other than give me something to hang onto when the need arises!)

Anyway, I'm almost healed (physcially) so am ready to get back into riding. Normally only go hacking as we are rubbish in the school, but not ready to go out hacking again. Have rode twice in the arena with the side reins and I've got to say Monac is behaving beautifully with them, and we've managed some lovely canters in the arena (which I always find difficult). Normally Monac is tense, I'm tense and he ends up on the wrong leg or is really unbalanced and throws in the odd buck.

Had read a previous thread about side reins, saying there should be no need to use them. Can someone please explain why they shouldn't be used. Am I going to do some damage? All I see at the moment, is that he seems to be working correctly.

Please advise. Thanks

I don't know much about riding in side reins, but I'd guess you would need them short enough for them to be placing the head in a controlled position for you to get any 'benefit'. To do this for the length of a hack, even a fairly short one, must produce tension and fatigue in muscles that would want to stretch but can't. As a result, I would think that you would produce muscle spasm and soreness.

I sympathise with your situation. You obviously have more bottle than me. I would be terrified of hacking after that! I think schooling must be the best way as these things always have a strong behavioural element (even if they start off due to discomfort from e.g. an ill fitting saddle, after a while a behavioural element develops). If you must hack before you work with him on it, I'd change the bit instead of using side reins. Figure out what he did to get away from you. Head down - Cheltenham gag, Head up - Continental snaffle/gag, if he takes hold of the bit, you may want to combine that with a Waterford mouthpiece. These are only strong if either or both of you take a pull and lets face it, you'll be needing strong if you are in that situation again (slinks away awaiting responses to suggestions of gags and waterford :eek: )

side reins aren't going to stop him lifting his head - he'll be able to move it in an arc determined by the length of the side rein..

but you could try a standing martingale ? (They have bad press, but actually are a simply device which works as intended when fitted correctly - to prevent the horse lifting the head beyond the point of control).

remember your (lack of) confidence and tension will affect the horse as well, so have you thought about lessons in the meantime to help you with this ? You may even be able to find someone who would start with school lessons, but be prepared to ride out with you at some stage ?

Does the fact he is better in side reins (and not fighting them) suggest the OP's conact is uneven and he prefers the steady contact of the side reins? Or have I got the wrong gadget in mind??

Would agree they aren't the thing to hack out in though - unless he is used to working for a long time in an outline - would be very hard work for him!

aj xx

Im sorry but you should never ride in side ride reins, you can lunge with side reins but not ride.

Please for you and the horses benefit get someone qualified to help you.

But why can't they be used on horses while you ride them. My RI uses them for the little kids sometimes when she hasn't got enough leaders. I asked if they would be alright and she said they would be fine. So why not use them??

Kirstie

with young riders and small ponies, you often find grass or daisy reins used. These are similar to side reins but aim to prevent the pony getting their head down to eat grass. I suspect thats what your RI is using them for.

The problem with using any kind of restriction like this is what happens if there is a problem. if the horse needs to stretch for whatever reason and can't, it may panic and you end up with a bigger mess than you started with :eek: Especially as such devices tend to be used where there is already a problem...

This is a situation where less is more. You might ask what the difference between side reins and a standing martingale is - the martingale only restricts movement in ONE direction - side reins will affect lateral flexion as well and are more restrictive. There are also clear guidelines for how to fit a martingale correctly, whereas a side rein depends on so many factors...

Side reins are designed to give a contact for the horse to work into - when the rider is not there. So it will also be more confusing for the horse to be getting two lots of information. (Tho you CAN long-rein and do work in hand with side reins - as the Spanish Riding School do... I think its that catch 22 situation where you need to be a pretty experienced rider/handler to manage this yet where it is used to solve a "problem" the rider is often NOT experienced).

ajhainey - I don't think you have the wrong gadget in mind. But I'm not sure it suggests anything about OP's rein contact. The horse has probably been lunged in sidereins (sarah ?) and will have tested out their limits there ;) i.e. what the side reins do is set some boundaries for the horse to respect. There may also be a pyschological effect of Sarah having more confidence when the side reins are there...

O.k i got you now:p

But if this is what side reins looks like then this is what the RI use on the horses for the young riders.

Sidereins.jpg

She definately doesn't use them i don't think i've even seen them on the yard. No its definately something that attaches to the ring on the bit and goes to the d-rings ( i think that what you call them) on the saddle.

I have to agree and say that definately don't hack out in side reins, I would honestly look at why your horses have started this habit of bolting, if it's something that has only just started happening then there could be a reason for it, I have to say that i'm a firm believer in schooling, it teaches your horse to listen and work the way you want it too, I would definately get some qualified help with this problem before starting to use all sorts of gadgets.

kirstie said:
She definately doesn't use them i don't think i've even seen them on the yard. No its definately something that attaches to the ring on the bit and goes to the d-rings ( i think that what you call them) on the saddle.

I think what cvb means by improvising is that you RI IS using side reins, but adjusted so they only come into play if the pony tries to put its head down (or up for that matter) a long way, just like a standing martigale, or grass rein would. Rather than being used to keep the horse in an outline - as you would when lunging.

Does that make sense, or are the ponies reins set to hold them in a dressage type outline?

aj xx
p.s Cheers cvb, what you say makes sense. Was just a thought, I've only ever seen them used, not done it myself.

I get what you mean about improvising now:eek:

Well i wouldn't say shes using them as a dressage outline but they are tight so that the horse can't put his head down for the grass. Because the little kids aren't strong enough to keep the horses head up (hope its made sense!):D

ajhainey

the only time I can think of riding a horse in side reins is on the lunge as a lunge lesson - and I didn't like the feel at all as to me it felt like the horse was backing off the contact :(

Its interesting that both standing martingale and daisy rein are SINGLE reins so don't restrict sideways - I suspect this is key.

cvb said:
side reins aren't going to stop him lifting his head - he'll be able to move it in an arc determined by the length of the side rein..

but you could try a standing martingale ? (They have bad press, but actually are a simply device which works as intended when fitted correctly - to prevent the horse lifting the head beyond the point of control).

AGREE
I had ex racer who bolted reguarly, i then used a standing martingale and changed bit to a PELHAM (vulconite) with all the trimmings, and had no more problems, i know a lot of people have a problem with both of these items of tack, but they worked for tb and me,which enabled us to return to safe enjoyable rides once again.

Why is your horse bolting should be the main question. It is probably not that all of the sudden he decided its fun,its either fear or pain. Have you checked his teeth,saddle,feet? I would never use side reins or any constricting device! Fix the problem the right way! Get someon qualified to help you,and not someone who just gives you gadgets to use please.

Stella2 said:
Figure out what he did to get away from you. Head down - Cheltenham gag, Head up - Continental snaffle/gag
A continental/dutch gag is still a gag, and a fair chunk of it's action is asking the horse to raise it's head still (have a look on sustainable dressage).
If you want a bit to ask them to lower, maybe try a pelham?

ps - agree, you're far FAR braver than me :eek::D

WillieLove said:
Why is your horse bolting should be the main question. It is probably not that all of the sudden he decided its fun,its either fear or pain. Have you checked his teeth,saddle,feet?

Willie - I'm sure he's OK physically. The first time he bolted, a loose horse came galloping at us in the woods and it scared the pants off all of us. The second time he did it, I wouldn't describe it as a true bolt. Monac is very competitive and likes to be in front. I asked the person riding the other horse to go in front because I wasn't sure of the route, so she trotted past us and I think it was more a case of HEY I'M THE LEAD HORSE!!!! and he cantered off. Have had his teeth and saddle checked quite recently.

Still a little confused with regard to the harm that side reins do (will read through replies again). Is it just that it's restrictive for him and he'll get tense in his neck area?

The regular trainer left our yard months ago, but I've been told there's a new freelance instructor in the area, so as soon as I get her details I'll be booking some lessons. I know I'm not the greatest rider, and I'm sure that both my daughter and I will benefit from a few lessons.

Thanks for the replies.

Sarah

Still a little confused with regard to the harm that side reins do

Basically, if they're on tight enough to have the effect you wish, they're too tight and he won't be able to stretch at all.

A standing martingale will do the job much more effectivly without the unintended restriction - he can stretch from side to side and up and down, but not to the point of loss of control. In side reins he won't be able to move his head at all.

newrider.com