Side Reins?

Agree with idea of standing martingale - though I'm wondering why your martingale didn't work - is it too long - or did you drop your hands - running martingales work best in this situation if you lift your hands - they then act as a pulley!!
(cvb - this is from experience!! Remember those gallops??)
Please don't take on the idea of draw reins - IMHO there is never a reason for riding with them.

On the side reins and ponies thing - I have used them for ponies - they look like they are holding the ponies head in - but they are an attempt to stop the pony eating grass. Have to say it doesn't always work - my wee pony is so determined she will pull the saddle and child over her withers in order to get grass (she is laminitis prone and flat backed!!!)

Hope you can get it all together - I'd also add that when you are able relax a bit, then the problem may calm down - these things can become a horse/rider mutual tension problem but don't ask me how to solve that one....... (thinking here ...could be why he is going well in side reins - cos you believe in them.....???)

sarah l blackbu said:
Still a little confused with regard to the harm that side reins do

im agreeing with pinks lady - have a look at www.sustainabledressage.net - it gives some really interesting information about the effect different bits of tack have. side reins are often used to force the horse into an outline, and he is not stretching down into the contact.

the presure this causes , especially if the horse is n ot warmed up properly, can result in bony growths on the neck where the ligaments join and permanent disabilities if used for a long time and regularly.

obviously this is a very severe situation, but it is unnecessary, especially as you were saying before that he just likes to be in the lead. schooling sounds definitely the best option, but without the sidereins, to get your confidence back up.

is there another horse you can ride a few times to get comfortable again before riding monac?

newrider.com