*Sigh* Canter Issues

horseygal90

Going
Aug 27, 2004
Just after christmas, my RI stopped teaching us and so recently we've had a couple of new trial instructors. Well, one seems to be here to stay! (That's fine, both were nice people :)) They're also lost the two horses they had and got a couple of new ponies in.

Well my problem is this: I'm nearly always put on the new pony - An *extremly* on the forehand/downhill Coblet who has a bit of an attitude with novices :p but when someone tells him what to do, rather than suggests, he's ok. That's not really my issue, my issue is his canter!

Because he is literally so downhill and will never be able to have the 'normal' headset, his canter is shockingly uncomfortable. Neck set on low + general cobiness = Owchie. Every stride is him pulling himself forward, and consequently pulling me forward, through his neck. It's really bumpy and getting to the point where his sitting trot (!) is more comfy! I can't sit to it at all and because of this the new RI seems to think that I'm of a much lower standard than I am. I can ride a canter, I've been doing it for 8/9 years, it's just his is... Difficult to an extreme! I mentioned this to her and she was like "He's the favourite pony in the school!" (Personally, can't see it myself, he's steady but is a typical RS pony, not going to work until you make him and even then it's not going to be anything about Prelim dressage standard, if you get me)

There is another pony there that I could ride, but one of the other girls in my lesson is extremly attached to him and I only get to ride him when she's not there (erm, that's once then). It's a shame really, without trying to sound boastful, he's a young pony and she just hammers his sides when she wants him to do anything, is too ready with the whip and is very forceful with him. When I rode him the week she was off I was able to get a decent lap of the school with him in canter without any additional aids - All he needs is the knowledge that you're not going to be too tough on him too quickly, and he's perfectly happy. Anyway, enough about that.

How do I sit this ponys canter? Hopefully the new horse should be ready in a fortnight, so I can ride that. Until then though!

Ive had to deal with some Ehm Interesting canters.. and the way i fould best is to sit really deep and just move with it.
When your cantering remember that its not back and forwards its more like a circle and remember to move with it.
Just a thought. Maybe you are stiff with your hips? might be worth a try to do this excersise before cantering, bring both your legs up untill your hip to knee is parralell with the ground.. kinda like a jockey then take your knees away from the saddle and lean forwards for a few seaconds and return to sitting normally, if you cant do both legs at once just do one at a time, what this does is opens your hips up which in theory should allow you to move with the ponys not so comphyy canter

To be honest there is probably nothing you can do about he canter, in time you would probably get used to it but I think its the old story of paying a lot of money for and expensive hobbie, lookin forward to your ride all week then not really enjoying it because the horse you ride and yourself just can't seem to click, to add to your frustration RI can't understand your problem cos said horse is a favourite on the school.
I have been in this situation and it is frustrating, I used to regularly ride a little monster who everyone seemed terrified of, I even got relieved faces when I said I didn't need help tacking him up from staff at the yard, we got on great together, a really fab team, but there was a mare I rode occasionally everyone thought was the bees knees and cats pyjamas who I just couldn't get on with, to me she was stubborn on the ground and ridden, quite nippy, handy with her front feet and in general not a very pleasant horse at all.
Certain teams are just not meant to be.
Could you maybe change your lesson time so you could ride the other horse that is usually in your lesson? Sorry its not very good advice but to be honest the horse is probably not gonna change and though you'd probably get used to him in time if you only get to ride once a week like most people it could take a lot of unenjoyable lessons before it all falls into place.

I can't change my lesson, it's the only one for my riding ability there is, since they only run lessons on Wednesdays (my day) and Sundays.

His canter is quite painful too, he really jerks his head down and pulls your shoulders with it... Maybe a lighter contact would help?

There is a horse i sometimes ride at my RS that has the most awful stumpy canter! It doesnt have that nice flow, but seems to stop half way through, if you get my meaning. I would cringe when i found out i was to ride her. But it also ment i could practice and try my hardest to sit to her. My RI said hardly anyone can sit to her canter. I just try my best to relax and get to know her movement as best i can.

If he is jerking you in canter then maybe its a pain issue? One horse i knew was very head tossy in canter as he had back issues.
There are many a horse at my RI that are very fussy with their mouths when walking or standing still. They are either just fussy like that or need a much longer rein. However once they start to work in trot or canter they are fine.

I think you need to politely ask your RI if there is a reason why you can't have the other pony every other week. If it's just because the other girl is fond of him then point out that you both pay the same for lessons, you're getting extremely frustrated being put on a pony you don't enjoy riding & you don't feel that you're progressing very well on the cob. Is she even giving you any useful advice on how to ride the cob's canter?

If she refuses to budge on the issue & alternate the other pony between riders then I'd seriously consider looking for another school.

I confess I was one of the 60 who read it and thought- 'don't know what to suggest someone else will have an idea!' Having reread it I wonder whether you should actually stop 90% of the contact for a while. Let his head sort itself out, you won't get pulled and he will have to carry himself because you won't be carrying his head for him. After three lessons he should have improved. Only when his canter improves should you pick up the contact more. Also try doing lots of transitions if you can and as soon as he goes in to canter reapply the inside leg to give him the extra nudge to canter forwards rather than downwards! If nothing else he's a good challenge and will make you a better rider! ;)

Had my lesson yesterday and went in with the attitude of getting the canter right, he was a bit sluggish (previous lesson was two beginners being lead around so he hadn't really worked) but I woke him up and he was great - Wouldn't go on the outside track for love or money though :rolleyes: but hey.

Canter - Absolutly fabulous, cracked it first time! He had a lot more impulsion and seemed a lot smoother. The last canter we had was really fast and so fun, he's officially redemed himself. :p

However, I'm still looking forward to riding the new horse in a couple of weeks time... Oh, a horse for once!

glad it's sorted - but one thing i think is insteresting if you are having troubles is to ask the instructor to get on the horse/pony (if poss!) and show you how to do it - i think that RI's are great for seeing 90% of the issues/probs from the ground but when you have a specific problem like that then it is often easier for them to explain what to do if they have actaully ridden the horse and showed you while they are in the saddle....
just a thought
(esp as i have had an RI recently who thought i was doing well but could have done better with the horse - so i got off and said pls can you show me - she got her daughter on (v v good dressage rider) who rode for about 5mins and got off and said - gosh - he's a LOT more difficult to ride than he looks - needless to say i had a sly smile on my face and made me feel a lot better about how i was riding!!)
sorry - i seem to be waffeling(sp?)... AGAIN!!

Had my lesson yesterday and went in with the attitude of getting the canter right, he was a bit sluggish (previous lesson was two beginners being lead around so he hadn't really worked) but I woke him up and he was great - Wouldn't go on the outside track for love or money though :rolleyes: but hey.

Canter - Absolutly fabulous, cracked it first time! He had a lot more impulsion and seemed a lot smoother. The last canter we had was really fast and so fun, he's officially redemed himself. :p

However, I'm still looking forward to riding the new horse in a couple of weeks time... Oh, a horse for once!

hi again, just wondered, was there anything you can think of that you did differently this lesson, noticed someone advised you to give him his head, did you?
The reason I ask is the girl I ride is a clydey x and has got a bad habit of pulling on me, I don't ride with short reins at all but she just won't stop yanking on the reins. My last lesson I had a different RI who said lengthen your reins slightly and widen your hands ...wider ... wider .... I rode with my hands 12-18" apart and the horse worked brilliantly, steering is normally a massive battle (keeping her on the outside track - nightmare) but with hardly any contact at all and backing up steering a bit more with my leg I had an amazing lesson on the big girl
Great you had a better lesson though, you'll have to keep us posted on this new horse thats coming soon :D

I did keep the reins a little longer than normal, but not to a massive extent - I felt if I completly threw them away he'd be off to the back of the ride all the time! Last time he was quite head tossy, and yesterday he only did it once, so maybe it did have an effect. He didn't set himself against the bit as much, either. So it's probable that I was holding him in too much... :)

Apparently the new horse is lovely to ride and a sweetheart :D

Well done, you sound as though you are getting to grips with it without the help of the instructor too. !!!! I would say for sure that you previously had him in too tight a hold. Try to think very very light with your hand and remember that your hand lightness probably starts at your shoulder, so relax those too. If you think he might tank to the back try learning to use half halts more often. Get him responsive when you are NOT in the front. Do you ever work in open order? If so that is an ideal time to get him listening to half halts. If your instructors havent taught you about half halts then get them to do so. Or we can give you info via the board if you like I guess.

Keep your knees very relaxed too - so relax shoulders, arms and hands from the minute you get on and make sure you do it gently as soon as you gather up the reins. Make sure you are relaxed throughout your body and esp knees - particularly when you go into canter. keep knees and hands and arms and shoulders soft and almost floppy in their feel. Half halt if he goes a tad faster than you want. However, keep that lower leg on otherwise you lose the impulsion and he will be on the forhand again. Let us know what happens next time. Well done so far on sorting it out yourself though.

newrider.com