So frustrated

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
So Bree got the green light to come back into work. She has definitely had a primary sinusitis but that is now cleared up, xrays were all clear. Im pretty sure that;s what caused the huge sneezing fits we were getting.

I lunged her a couple of times earlier this week, in her tack, nothing, no coughing, nothing. We went for a hack yesterday and Im so frustrated because I felt much more confident. However she just doesn’t seem happy :( Every few strides she was snorting, shaking her head around as if flies were bothering her and frantically trying to rub her head on her leg. The vet is at a loss and tbh I cant afford any more investigations as the insurance is almost maxed. Everything has been checked, teeth were done, wolfs taken out, back was done and new saddle fitted and re-checked. So scary how quickly the vet’s fees ramp up!! So, it looks like she’s started head shaking for whatever reason. Ive got a nosenet now to try and a bonnet, crossing everything I can get it under control enough to make riding easier. Any other experiences on this guys? Someone suggested vaseline round her nose but I know from her having had her airways scoped that her airways are very narrow so I was worried this might make it worse.

The vaseline is just meant to capture any pollen spores before they get into the airways, it shouldn't have any adverse effect on narrow airways.

A couple of friends had issues with niggly coughs and heavy breathing which was down to high volumes of pollen and they gave marshmallow root which helped soothe everything, perhaps worth a try?

I'm personally allergic to the world ;) and it can kick of cycles of sinusitis and Rhinitis and for me antihistamines can really help break the cycle, have you tried any for Bree? Might be worth a chat with your vet if not.

ETA I really sympathise with your frustration, its sucky when your horse looks fine but just can't cope with work :(

We have problems with Tree Pollen with Charlie, once the Vets meds got it under control we used NAF respiration Plus for the rest of the that year and then onto Breath easy over winter - he's not displaying any problems at all at the moment- with the weather being crap I suspect - we know when we have to up the dose or move back to the plus when he starts shaking his head around and snorting - you can hear a rattle - hope you find a solution

No advice, just sending back to normal vibes! My Storm rubs her nose on her knee a lot atm, I think it's a combo of midges / flies and also with her a bit of a habit. Glad the sinusitis has cleared up.

newrider.com