Some good old NR vibes needed....

You will probably be collecting Ben or on your way home with him right now! I'm really pleased that you have a positive outcome and hope the injections make him feel more comfortable soon. I bet he'll be pleased to be out in his field again, although it sounds like he's been well looked after and made lots of friends while he's been away :)

Reactions: Mary Poppins
He is home and I am exhausted! It is a 3 hour round trip.

I have more good news. He doesn’t have arthritis in his stifle at all, I got mixed up. He has medial femorotibial synovitis. He has been injected with triamcinolone and hyaluronic acid. This is basically inflammation of the stifle joint and with a bit of luck on our side (I am due some), the drugs will clear the inflammation and he will be fine.

The arthritis in his back is to managed by physio and exercise. He must raise his back and stop hollowing. There are no excuses, I must ride him properly. Hopefully the back pain will go as his stifles become less sore, otherwise the back will be injected.

And then we have the right fetlock which may or may not be a problem. He is on 2 weeks field rest now and then vet coming back to check up on him before we start ridden work.

I am completely done in, it has been one hell of a week. Ben looks like a patchwork cushion with all his shaved bits, hopefully they will grow out soon. I need sleep!

Go sleep. Relax. Do nothing. So very pleased to read thisxxxxxx
My children are enjoying unlimited time to stare at screens while I walk round like a zombie. Yesterday I honestly thought retirement was on the cards, now it looks like we have a magic cure. The hospital said Ben was the most stoic horse they had met. This condition is very painful and he showed up as 3/5th lame on the lunge but they were blown away with how hard he tried to please and how much he tries to hide his pain. I didn’t cry when I picked him up but I could barely string 2 sentences together. He had been thoroughly groomed and even had his feet painted. In all 7 years I have owned him, no one else has ever groomed him or really taken the time to get to know him. To find my horse around people who took such good care of him and who genuinely cared about him was very emotional. They are all amazing people and I am so very grateful. I will send a thank you letter later.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
The hospital said Ben was the most stoic horse they had met. This condition is very painful and he showed up as 3/5th lame on the lunge but they were blown away with how hard he tried to please and how much he tries to hide his pain. I didn’t cry when I picked him up but I could barely string 2 sentences together. He had been thoroughly groomed and even had his feet painted. In all 7 years I have owned him, no one else has ever groomed him or really taken the time to get to know him. To find my horse around people who took such good care of him and who genuinely cared about him was very emotional. They are all amazing people and I am so very grateful. I will send a thank you letter later.

WOAH! Nearly made me cry!
Come on Ben you can get through this!!

Really glad to hear the good news, I hope the injection can sort Ben out. I have some experience of steroids and physio (although not in a horse) and it made a HUGE difference, I was shocked at just how good, so I wish you all the best. It sounds like you have a fab vet, and Ben is a lucky boy to have an owner that wants the best for him. Wishing you the best for a swift improvement.

newrider.com