Someone give me a cyber-slap

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Caspar (or Jack!) is arriving tomorrow and I am having a major case of the heebie jeebies. WHY AM I BUYING A HUGE UNBACKED 3YO!!!!

It will be fine, it will be fine, it will be fine......

Hahahaaa I don't like slapping lol but here you go: GIANT CYBER SLAP ON IT's way !!!! You will be fine. More than fine, it will be fabulous!!!!! Nothing you can't manage:D

Reactions: KP nut
No the grey who turned out not to be a backed Irish 4yo but an unbacked KWPN 3yo.... Ruddy dealers!! But having driven 3.5 hours to get there I thought I might as well view him and really, really liked him.

Hopefully it was fate (in a good way!).

Never had second thoughts after buying before it arrived, only ever bought if I got a good feeling or we clicked, also never had doubts about anything young I've bought. Then again I've never managed to over horse myself so far.

You will probably feel better once he is here.

Reactions: Ruskii and KP nut
If it's any consolation a lady I know did this a few years ago and she now has a cracking eventer! It is an amazing horse, beautiful, intelligent and with a stunning jump. And now she's doing it all again with a second horse!

You'll be fine!

When I first took mine on I can see now I turned into a big nelly around her, with hindsight because I thought I was out of my league, I was but its turned out to be the best thing I've ever done horse buying wise. You'll be absolutely fine, loads of hurdles to jump but thats what makes it so fulfilling - promise;)

I honestly wouldn't worry until there's something to worry about ;) I'm sure everything will work out fine:). I have a 2 year old that's hardly been handled, won't be caught without sedation and shows the whites of his eyes regularly, I'm a little concerned that he's too big a project but I'm not yet worrying:D however he's to make 15.2-15.3ish so not huge. Saying that id rather work with a well handled 16.2 than a nervous wreck that's currently 14.2-14.3ish. Many larger horses are gentle giants and put little 11.2hhs to shame when it comes to temperaments. x

Reactions: JMR77 and KP nut
Many larger horses are gentle giants and put little 11.2hhs to shame when it comes to temperaments. x

Agreed, our now retired french saddle horse is 174cm and always did his best to keep you in his saddle, he really is a gentle giant, put a toddler next to him and he turns into its nanny:):):)

Never had second thoughts after buying before it arrived, only ever bought if I got a good feeling or we clicked, also never had doubts about anything young I've bought. Then again I've never managed to over horse myself so far.

You will probably feel better once he is here.

I've bought two horses & both times I had an almost overwhelming feeling of 'what have I done?!' In fact, I think I cried every day in the inbetween buying Pete & him coming home (a large part of that was because I only bought Pete because I had my previous horse PTS so although I 'wanted' another horse, I also just wanted Chester still).

Once he was home, I was fine. He was particularly challenging in the early days, but I don't regret buying him for one moment.

Thanks everyone. I just need to remember that whatever I am feeling, he is probably more anxious and unsure than I am! Mark Rashid told me that whenever I felt scared of Thyme I should replace my fear with gratitude. It was a really helpful piece of advice and one I will try and focus on over the next few weeks as we begin to work together.

Reactions: orbvalley
Oh u brave girl u...but i am sure u will be fine. I feel exactly the same way or in a slightly different context. I am looking at buying and owning my 1st ever horse, i have ridden since i was 7 but had over 10 years out due to life commitments. Have just started to get bk into it, bought my daughter her 1st pony 16 months ago and have him at a private quiet livery yard. That's been going so well i decided to get bk to riding myself and a month ago started having lessons with my daughters riding instructor, has been going swimmingly so as i surprise my husband took me to look at my absolute dream horse, a 15.2 black freisian gelding 12 years old, lovely chap with impeccable ground manners, but not done alot schooling wise as has been used as a drive horse, he doesn't enjoy the carriage driving so owner is selling, has been ridden under saddle for hacking but otherwise not done any major schooling. I have hacked him out twice and he was lovely but i also feel the same as in am i biting off more than i can chew when i've only been bk in the saddle myself a short while and still have a lot to learn! I would like to do a bit of everything with him, jumping, xc, fun rides, dressage...i have fallen in love with this boy but i am still undecided whether i shud take the risk, he is a big boy and i don't want something i can't handle, then i think well surely it'd b fun learning together? I had planed to have a schooling lesson with him and my riding instructor for her opinion on our compatibility (she's extremely experienced and knows my ability and what i'm looking for) and then he was to have a 5 point vet check, however my plans r on hold as the last time i was out hacking with him another horse who was hacking with us was acting up bucked and kicked me full force in the knee cap breaking it in 2 places, i am now laid up in a leg brace for the next 8 weeks minimum! I just have to wait and c if the horse will still b available when i'm finally bk up and running :) I don't want my heart to rule my head and i'm trying to be sensible about it all but i almost feel it was meant to be...he's the only horse i have looked at to buy for myself tho! I hope ur new partnerships is a huge success xx

As you know I am not very experienced, but I have to say I do find horses easier. I think that ponies try to push the boundaries more. My friends driving pony is always plotting some mischief ;)

Reactions: JMR77
Natural to feel a bit anxious, you'll feel better once he's here and you start to get to know him. I'm sure all will be fine, Cally, Oscar, Lisa and Max were all good buys and hopefully Casper will be too.

Oh for goodness sake girl! How many horses/ponies have you had and trained? I can't see this one being any different. You will be fine and you know it, or you should know it. So there, have a virtual slap :p:)

Reactions: Trewsers and GaryB
Well he is here and I am not feeling any less freaked out.... He is enormous. I thought he was big at the viewing but having spent the last 2 years riding ponies I didn't trust my judgement. But when he arrived, the other horse owners all said my God he's enormous! He came with papers and his sire and dam are both about 17hh. So he is going to be that big - or bigger!

On the plus side, he travelled well and was very calm. I turned him out in the arena and he just ambled over to the mirrors to say hello to himself then started munching bits of hedge that border the arena. I put him in his stable and he greeted his neighbours amicably then settled to munching hay as if he'd been here all his life.

I know nothing about bloodlines etc - I don't buy in that kind of market. But as he came with papers I have googled his parents. He seems oddly well-bred for a cheap horse! At least as far as I can tell from photos/stud fees. Sire is Quality Time, Dam is Aguata, Damsire Padinus if that means anything to anyone.

So I hope he is not too much horse for me to handle. Or that there is not something wrong with him to make him cheap...... Why does a wellbred KWPN gelding end up at an Auction horse in Ireland and then at a NW dealer who thought he was a 4 yo Irish horse?

Reactions: lauren123
newrider.com