Stallions, Geldings or Mares.. Oh why?

Hubby and I went to a new saddlery today and naturally. as the shop was empty, we started chatting with the owner. She asked about our horses.

It turned out we all adore mares and agree the relationship with a mare needs time and understanding. As entire, having seasons and the wind up the tail they can have opinions.

I then realised in (far too many) years I have never even considered a gelding. Many years ago as a young helper at riding schools, I was always given a "trouble" pony (always a mare) to ride which may well have formed my opinions.

What is the difference between owning a mare or male (gelded or not)?

Are mares moody or geldings just grumpy or is it a reputation?

Does the "Tell a gelding, ask a mare or discuss it with a stallion." ring true?

I think maybe it does...

In my limited experience they can be equally challenging! OH's gelding was not devoid of character and apparently nobody told him that he mustn't have mood swings or tantrums!lol. He was one of the most interesting horses I have met up to now. However, I do love a mare and have two. Most likely OH will end up with a mare and not a gelding - don't know why, I just have that feeling. I think mares perhaps take longer to bond and trust you - and you have to also learn to know when to push it with them and when not to.

I think your missing "pray if its a pony" off that statement ;)

Womble was a late gelded boy an we have many "discussions" and I do have to "tell" him regularly.

Mares every time they are a million times smarter that geldings or stallions.

I can only think that a gelding needs us and mares don't. A gelding is a mare without seasons unless riggy.

If its Welsh and a mare pray it isn't chestnut. :wink: my instructor said thank god she isn't chestnut. :giggle:

Hmmm I have both and find both challenging in different ways but def the gelding is easier as doesnt come into season and be hormonal like the mare. This can make her hard to ride and compete etc.

My pony was a sweetie and never noticed her seasons but my mare is different. She is so good but can be marish in company even if not ridden and I find riding the gelding althugh not all plain sailing it is so nice at shows in comparison.

Having said that I adore her and think we have a good bond and are quite alike in our personalities so understand each other. :wink:

Well, I've owned two geldings and three mares. The geldings, both cobs, were no trouble. Barney never argued; Tristan was never properly schooled, and if he didn't fancy something, he'd just take off - but he never argued either. Of the mares (all chestnut!) one was an angel of a pony - never argued, never mareish, never bucked, reared or napped. Only problem was the brakes weren't very good - she liked galloping. The other two have both been the sort who know everything, and who don't think much of their riders (maybe they were right!) - would do everything they could to take over if they thought it necessary; both of them got a bit flirtatious when in season, but nothing unmanageable. And Ginny, my daughter's mare, was great at competitions - they did ODE, and she really knew her job.

But I couldn't say that mares or geldings are cleverer, and Barney was just as sensitive as any of the mares, and he would object if you rode badly - but politely. I wouldn't be bothered about the sex if I was looking for a horse now. But a stallion is quite a different kettle of fish.

I love mares for the RS , they seem to have a sympathetic view and don't take the 'mickey' like geldings. However we much prefer geldings for competing as they are more consistant. I have never owned a stallion but rode one at competitions for an excellent owner. He was lovely to ride but I would not have confidence in my ability to produce such a well rounded one!!

Edited to add I must be mad....my daughters ponies ( after the lovely sane Shetland mare) were Welsh Bs in chestnut in mare and gelding form and then a Palamino arabxwelsh. My, and by then, daughters instructor told me in fairly sharp terms 'palaminos were worse than chestnuts' Perhaps thats why she now has ex racing TB's!! ( current young ones are bay geldings though!!)

Last edited:
I think it takes longer to really understand a mare, but I think once you do then there is a relationship you have the fear of bein unpredictable but knowing the warning signs makes you feel safe.

I think geldings are far more consistent with behaviour generally, and easier to bond with initially. However I've never found the same depth of relationship with a gelding.

I think that's all a bit non sensical!

I like working with stallions. Always have had, had more stallions than mars or geldings.

They make me laugh, there's no "discussing" persuading or anything with them.

Bring them up to be horses and not fire breathing dragons kept in solitary confinement they are easier than mares to work with.

I'd rather go into the park with all the stallions and colt with a bucket of food than the mares. They are much easier.

Here's two of the stallions, stereo snogging.

Two more stallions, perfect gentlemen, no discussions , no persuasion,

Dear little Norseman,

Taktur, about day 3 of being ridden

Last edited:
Mares every time they are a million times smarter that geldings or stallions.

Yeah but I think it's easier to work with a horse that isn't quite as smart, more trainable lol!

I like geldings for their easiness. They don't have seasons and tempers, they are pretty consistent and I rather like telling mine what to do! But that could be the mare in me. I wouldn't say they are easier to get to know, mine has taken a while, it depends upon the individual. I had a mare when I was a kid and she was a right old bad tempered biddy. She was a star, but by god did she do as she pleased and wasn't at all coothie.

I have got three mares and they are all different. The two older ones have become more consistent with age but I don't really think their 'femaleness' has had much to do with it.

I haven't ever owned a gelding but have seen some pretty temperamental ones in my time.

I think its more to do with breed, type, age and temperament and understanding a horse or ponies individual needs.

To sum up I would say there is the TB nature, the Arab nature, the Ginger element, the Pony nature, the draught/working horse nature then throw in different levels of temperament i.e. confident/submissive within this.

Most of our horses and ponies these days have a little bit of all these things thrown in.

All breeds of horse and pony have been selectively bred to fill a certain purpose. I think its just important to find the right one to suit your own needs whether it is male or female, then you will have less problems:smile:

Yeah but I think it's easier to work with a horse that isn't quite as smart, more trainable lol!

I have found that's not at all true. The dim ones make things up as they go along, the clever ones might be a bit more sensitive, but far easier to train to go well,

Well we've had stallions, geldings and mares (at one time when when we were breeding we had four chestnut B mares and one chesnut gone grey mare!) and they all rubbed along well. We had two stallions, a gelding and seven or so mares all in the same field and they were all settled and content. It happened to work for us - I wouldn't recommend mixing sexes like that ordinarily. They started off with one stallion in with the mares and the second with the gelding in a separate field. But in the end we got fed up of the two boys trashing the fence to get through to the rest and left them to it.

My favourites were based more on characters than gender. I think though that any horse kept in all the time is going to be difficult so stallions kept away from other horses are obviously going to be more hard to handle.

newrider.com