Stirrups and leathers...

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
Hello,

I'm currently on the lookout for a horse. The past 2 weeks when I've ridden a borrowed horse at my riding school, the stirrups have been on odd leathers, and I've found it difficult to get them even to start with...

It was suggested to me that I could by my own stirrups and leathers and use them on whoever I ride, including any future horse I own.

So, I'm after things that are not going to break the bank (but not necessarily the cheapest available because I'd rather have something that lasts) preferably not synthetic, durable, and suitable for a novice who is currently doing flatwork, but would like to move up to jumping at some point soon. I'm looking for a horse 16.2+ if that makes a difference.

In terms of size, My boots are 4 1/4 inches wide, I'm 5' 7" tall but with a 33" inside leg (all my trousers are "long" length).

What stirrup irons would you recommend? Happy with second hand if I can get it. What size irons? What length leathers should I be looking for?

Thank you for helping- I'm completely clueless!

I see your point because I too have the problem and have had a rotten time sometimes at a RS where the RI just gave up and couldnt be bothered to see my stirrups were the same.
When you say someone suggested you get stirrups, was it the school? The school or the owner of a loan horse should provide the tack.

I do use my own safety stirrups (Sprenger) and good leathers for hacking locally, and it is convenient to have them in the same hole for the various horses I know. But I dont use my own for lessons or for hacking elsewhere, I dont want to become dependent on special gear or tack to ride horses. I dont think you should buy your own for buying a horse.

When trying a horse, yes, do make sure the stirrups are wide enough for your boots.

As for length, the inside of one's arm from arm pit to finger tips is always said to a a good measure. It is too long for me, so I reduce it by 2 cm. It is worth having a look on yur regular horse with the stirrups in the hole that is good for you. The actualy length will depen on the boots you are usuing (how thick the soles) but I find it a good rough guide. Another thing you can do is after getting on your usual horse and fixing the stirrups, glance down and note the position of your knees against the saddle.
Then when trying a new horse, you have a rough guide.

If your worry is trying out a horse in leathers that dont match, an old fashioned rolled up tape measure can be useful to check one stirrup against the other to see which holes measure up before you get on.

And I suggest you dont buy now because your RS should sort out tack problems and because when one buys one's own, one wants the best. And the cost is nothing compared with the cost of buying and keeping a horse.

The Sprenger safety stirrups I use were recommended by out RI because they reduce the wear and tear on one's joints as one rides, and my leathers are soft dressage leather and cost quite a bit. Even good leathers wont last for ever, as the hole one uses day after day tend to stretch. Maybe 8 years or so.

If the RS leathers are completely different you could buy a pair of inexpensive leathers and use them with the RS stirrups.

You will find on-line guidance on the length of leather and size of stirrup needed to fit safely round boots - but this is something you need to work out for yourself by actually trying -It is hard enough for each of us to work out our own and not something we can do via posts on a forum. You need about 1 cm eight side of the wide part of the boot by the ball of your foot. So I have two pairs, one for summer and one for winter (different boot widths)

I use these: https://www.rideaway.co.uk/john-whitaker-stirrup-leathers

You can get cheaper ones, but they will stretch pretty easily as they don't have stitching all the way down them. I ride everyday and have had my John Whitaker stirrup leathers for well over a year now and they are still exactly the same length.

As for stirrups, it is such a personal choice. I ride in peacock safety stirrups as I have a fear of my feet being caught and being dragged. You can buy very expensive light stirrups, but for the average rider you can't really go wrong with the normal bog standard type. Most adult stirrups are 4.75 inches and they should suit you unless you have huge feet. You can buy 5 inch ones but I would feel these were too big for me (I have size 5 feet). It does also depend on what type of boots you ride in. If you ride in 'country' style boots which are not strictly riding boots and much wider than riding boots, you may find that you feet get stuck in 4.75 inch stirrups. If you ride in proper leather riding boots then they should be fine.

When I was a riding school rider I used to bring my own stirrups as well. It saved me loads of time trying to adjust them and get them even and they felt more comfortable.

Is this something new?
I have never needed to take my own stirrups or leathers when using a horse at a riding school.
You are paying for the ride so it's down to the school to use matching leathers at least.

I don't like certain reins but I wouldn't turn up with mine.

Is this something new?
I have never needed to take my own stirrups or leathers when using a horse at a riding school.
You are paying for the ride so it's down to the school to use matching leathers at least.

I don't like certain reins but I wouldn't turn up with mine.

That is OK in theory and in practise stirrup leathers get stretched by so many riders getting on and off and they are often not level. It is very annoying to find that stirrup leathers are not exactly the same length and it used to drive me crazy having to settle for the 'best' fix. I got on and going much quicker when I had my own leathers.

I also would have bought my own reins and swapped them as well if I wanted to.

newrider.com