Super speedy housework (plus a few tears)

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Today I've no idea why I decided instead of listening to my usual music I'd go on the hunt for some 50's rock n roll, well I can honestly say I've never whizzed through my housework so fast!
I grew up with a Mum who LOVED 50's music and when I started playing it it took me right back 40 odd years to my Mum's kitchen, making full circle skirts and net petticoats on the kitchen table for the community disco and her teaching me and my best friend to jive! We were the talk of our town let me tell you, proper jive, swooshy skirts, bobbie socks, pumps an all, the boys loved us :)
Well next thing I'm jiving around the living room with my hoover and singing my head off, the cats ran off! LOL can't say I blame them really as I've never been a singer, but I remembered every word and it's years since I've listened to rock n roll.
Then 'Oh Carol' came on and for some reason I just saw Mums beautiful face, full of love and kindness laughing at my antics and next thing I'm sitting on the floor sobbing my heart out, she would tell me off I know, but I miss her so much.
Anyway, sorry for sharing such a pointless story but I just wanted to share.
Mum & Dad.1.jpg This is her and my equally handsome Dad at their golden wedding anniversary.

Aw. Good for you having a good old dance about. Yes, she would be glad you were thinking of her. I love a bit of rock n roll. My mum used to play all her Buddy Holly lp's when I was a kid. I still love them. What a nice photo that is too. They looked lovely:)

Aw. Good for you having a good old dance about. Yes, she would be glad you were thinking of her. I love a bit of rock n roll. My mum used to play all her Buddy Holly lp's when I was a kid. I still love them. What a nice photo that is too. They looked lovely:)

Thank you Trewsers, I think I'm about rock n rolled out now, worn me out all that dancing, not as fit as I used to be ha ha.

Reactions: PePo and Trewsers
Gosh I had one of those moments just a few days ago. I've been listening to the same old stuff on Spotify for ages so I decided to be brave and branch out :p I found a 60s playlist with some of my favourite songs on so I was listening to that and loving it, then What A Wonderful World came on which was my mum's ultimate favourite song and I got very emotional and cried all over my new laptop :rolleyes: It's amazing the effect music can have on you when you associate it with people you love. Another one of her favourites was Lovely Day by Bill Withers and you know that bit at the end when he holds the note for AGES, she always tried to sing that bit and she was such a terrible singer (tone deaf) I always laughed so hard when she sang it because she just didn't give a shit! It was on the radio a few weeks ago and just laughed all the way through because it reminded me of her awful singing :p

What a lovely post and yes music can really drag us right back to parts of our past life can't it - and I can share your evocative memories with the rock stuff of the 50s too - I have 3 older brothers so most of the rock ['n'roll of their era was very slightly before my time (I am more of a 60s hippy chick lol!) but I did love it as it felt very grown up if they would let me listen to their records. I never did really conquer the jive though, by the time I was at the public dancing stage it was all flower power and just moodily swaying about trying to look cool in a long Afghan coat covering a 'pelmet' mini skirt lol!

Music that sets me off about my Mum especially is obviously Irish music - especially ' I'll take you home again Kathleen' as my Dad who was an amateur Irish singer used to sing it to her when we were in England (her name was Kathleen) , they used to get very emotional - and when I hear Danny boy and When Irish eyes are Smiling - he used to sing those to us too. Gawd I am almost blubbing now ! :oops::p

What an emotional day. Music is so powerful. My dad died listening to his favourite song. I kept the CD thinking I would listen to it later but I still haven't after 8 years. I've still got some unopened emails from him too - he used to pass on all those stupid joke emails and I didn't have the time or inclination to read them all, but after he died I couldn't bring myself to read them or to delete them either.

I bet it will have done you the world of good to have a good cry about your mum. And a good dance too. Sorry you're missing her so much x

Reactions: Kite_Rider
newrider.com