Support for weak knee (rider's!)

LibLen

Jun 25, 2016
Hello all,

I'm new to the page and was unsure where to put this post so here it is!

I stopped riding and working with horses about 8 years ago due to not being able to afford it any more. Since then my level of fitness has just plummeted because it appears I take absolutely no enjoyment from any other form of exercise (who knew?!) which has led to subsequent weight gain. Now don't get me wrong, I've never been particularly slim but I used to be very fit. Around 10-11 years ago I got kicked in the knee by a (18hh) horse at college which has made my knee weaker than the other one. It gets stiff etc.

Basically I found myself in the position to keep my own again as I have found a yard which is incredibly reasonable and my daughter is horse mad so I started looking. I was after a chunky cob and looked at older and middle aged horses before meeting a youngster who I just clicked with. I fully understand the amount of work involved and have worked with youngsters previously and luckily a very experienced and good friend of mine will be my neighbour on the yard so I have support with him. He is being delivered a week Tuesday (July 5th) and although I know riding is a long way off (he's only 14 months) I wondered if anyone could recommend a good knee support for use whilst at the yard. I know when I'm more active and lose some weight my knee feels better due to less strain but obviously don't want to be in too much pain in the meantime.

I am so ridiculously excited about what the future holds for us and can't wait to get my boy home! It's taken me a few years to find a horse who I have felt a real connection with.

This has turned into a rambly post but I would be grateful for any suggestions :)

Reactions: GaryB
Hello
I use a Prolite support for my lower back from time to time, but don't know if they make similar for knees, sorry...however...what I found most useful for my particular brand of stiffness was a good physio session (and doing the follow up exercises!!) and a turmeric supplement.
Difficult to know if that will work for you though as it sounds trauma related rather than a more general stiffness?

I'd recommend seeing a Physio (I can self refer in my area) as they will be able to advise. There are so many different types out there, so some expert opinion would be good. My knee dislocates and I have found the best thing in kinesiology taping. I always find supports to be annoying - hot and itchy and always falling down and I don't get this with the taping.

newrider.com