Survived my first riding holiday

I do ride regularly. Well I do have regular lessons. Wouldn't my inductor not sujestions it. I think we slightly down hill and I wssnt learning back I know not exactly just one up on gait sand as I recall the the fronts legs going up I just thought that what us. I sat all the other saden changes of gaits that week including a few that ride. Anyway my lessons are private at the moment. My balance wasn't as good as usual at that moment. I did acedenly jump a few lessons ago.

Well when I say reguglly I mean every two weeks and plus. And the occasional one two weeks in a row if I'm doing something two weeks before but I will ask my inductor weather she really thinks I'm ready to jump.

Does it make any difference to you if I say I was happy troting without sturps last lesson just out of interest?

Im not entirely sure myself I'll discuss things with my instructor on Saturday and aslo mention my fall next week and see what she thinks.

But I guess I should trust her if she thinks I am(as after all she actually sees me ride lesson after lesson). I guess I hadn't said I've been having private lessons since I moved city intailly because they said I couldn't go in a group until I can canter but thinking it's worth sticking with them for now at least for a bit.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
I do ride regularly. Well I do have regular lessons. Wouldn't my inductor not sujestions it. I think we slightly down hill and I wssnt learning back I know not exactly just one up on gait sand as I recall the the fronts legs going up I just thought that what us. I sat all the other saden changes of gaits that week including a few that ride. Anyway my lessons are private at the moment. My balance wasn't as good as usual at that moment. I did acedenly jump a few lessons ago.

Sorry but I really cannot understand what you're saying here.

No, saying you were trotting without stirrups wouldn't make any difference to me because it would depend on how well you were doing it and what the horse's movement was like.

Private lessons with a good teacher are always worth having & you should learn more in them than in a group because it's tailored to you. If you really want people on here to try and give you some useful comments it might be worth getting some video of your lessons and posting them, I'm sure someone here could tell you how to,

I was saying that I do have private lessons at the moment. And I sat every other gait change this week. I'm not entirely sure watcher it was that Thats just whatever I thought of time. It just all happened quite suddenly plus I don't have anyone with me when I ride (I would get them to video so I can access how to improve myself. Sorry if I was misleading if I seemed asking something that I wasn't. I'm not keen on idea of putting photos and videos on here(since I have never even said my actual sorry). I sorry for the bad post dyspraxia sticks again. And I also do ride regularly.

You don't have to put video up it's just you seem to want people's opinions and it's difficult to give them based just on what you say. If you want video for your own use why not ask your instructor to video a few bits of your lesson on your phone so you can watch them later?

Sorry I wasn't actually asking if you thought i was ready to jump or not(I know you can't tell without seeing me ride and more then once). Sorry if it seemed like I was asking you that mtlquestion was more doesn't teveryone have rides where there ballence isn't as good as sometimes I just had to give someone background as I wasn't asking that person either it was after I replied to someone asking me what happened.

To be honest, probably not. I know my balance and ability to move with the horse is now automatic and has been for many many years. It has to be, if something goes wrong balance is what keeps you moving with them whereas gripping or bracing will end up with a rider on the floor if it's more than a slight blip. I was taught grip with the knees when I learned, I found out for myself that on a sharper or bigger moving horse that was not a good idea and I needed to be able to move with the horse.

Well know now there are days where my riding might be off but I also know that one bad ride doesn't mean that I am bad rider. I honestly believe it's the same with every skill and you can have off days(every skill is like that) is more of a comment question then then asking for proper advice). I may not be as experienced as somw but I now with every skill you havI'm not even sure if it was a change of gait is possible just leave as that? I wasn't looking for a debreate)aslo being dyspraxic will mean if my muscles are tirred they may be a bit off. I'm sure everywhere says griping with your needs is a no go? :)(I'm using the smiling face to not come across in in bad way) I'm sure there's other people that can have off days. Pehearps I just shouldn't have asked the questions in first day as now decided for myself the answer sorry(I should I waited). :)

I certainly have off days, days when for no inexplicable reason I feel I'm riding like a bag of sh*t. Also I have noticed in a lesson that if my muscles are tired I can't coordinate so well. Don't think it affects my balance, but then I've been with my horse such a long time that we probably adapt to each other anyway.

But yes, I definitely have off days :oops:

Reactions: Trewsers
Yes and conatinatine is issue if muscles specifically with being dyspraxic will also affect that so my body doesn't work like everyone elses

I posted in a Facebook group and someone said it sounds like I should be working on my balance and seat at this stage and not jumping but doesn't everyone have rides where the balance isn't as good as other times(epsaully if they legs were tired like mine were and they was sudden change if gait on even ground)
Looking at your posts you are overthinking this and you just need to carry on. Everyone falls off from beginners to top eventers.
The rider or the horse loses its balance and the point of no return happens.
You will build up core strength, but I wouldn't say that's likely if you only ride every two weeks.

I certainly have off days, days when for no inexplicable reason I feel I'm riding like a bag of sh*t. Also I have noticed in a lesson that if my muscles are tired I can't coordinate so well. Don't think it affects my balance, but then I've been with my horse such a long time that we probably adapt to each other anyway.

But yes, I definitely have off days :oops:
My last lesson was good grief what's happened to you! If she does anything your position is so weak you would be off. Um yeah she did spin me off in walk. :eek:
But like you say you both adapt and mine isn't usually very good at that part!

• Haha
Reactions: Bodshi
I understand and sympathise that RS riders cannot post pics nor be too precise. NR cannot serve as a support group for RS riders unless they are able to post anonymously.

I dont fully understand your question. But it may help if I tell you how I learned to ride.

I began to ride in 2001 at a RS and think I may understand your situation. Many UK RS s do not allow one to ride in a class until one can canter.
It costs more to have a private lesson so I did worry at the extra cost.

However, being able to canter does not mean that one HAS to go into a group lesson. I stayed with private tuition.

I never learned to jump (I didnt want to) but some schools teach jumping quite early. And in trot. It is safety law that students learning to jump at a RS must wear a bp.

The most important question is whether you want to jump just yet? Please dont feel obliged to do anything on a horse that scares you. No one here can guarantee you wont fall again (if that is what you are asking).

One of the milestones in conventional riding teaching is for a student to ride all gaits without stirrups. But the tranisition from canter to trot can be unbalancing and on account of my age, I was not asked to do that and I tell other RSs that I dont do that.

If you have ridden these transitions up and down with no stirrups, I would say that it is a meaningful achievement. But if you sat the transitions, with stirrups, that would be normal riding skills.

Not falling off when a horse starts to canter (including unsolicited) is also an important mile stone.

Teaching students not to fall off when a horse spooks or gives unsolicited canter is difficult for an instructor. Our RI does it two ways. She gives bareback lessons. And for students who are willing, she has us walk on the lunge with our eyes closed. Then at some moment with no warning, she asks the horse to canter. It isnt entirely unexpected of course, but it is all the same slightly nervewracking. And no instructor would ever do that with a beginner.

If you have physical limitations which I do, the best way to learn good balance is through lunge lessons with an expert teacher.
But if you continue with your normal lessons for a year or two that will also have a result. When you ride a moving horse, your body is constantly adjusting and if one does it for years, as carthorse says, it becomes unconscious.

But that doesnt mean that we never fall off.

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com