Synthetic bridles

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Ales bridle was eaten by foxes last night, I have to leave it at the gate so people have it available if they need to get him in.

I'm thinking to replace it with a synthetic webbing one rather than leather. Any suggestions of make? I'm not fussed about colour, would quite like something a bit different. Not looking to spend very much as it's rarely used

Thank you

Could you just add bit carriers to a head collar?

I’ve always found for webbing stuff Libby’s make good quality tack, they’d be my first port of call. You can often pick up their stuff second hand too. Might be worth looking on endurance pages as you often see webbing bridles being sold on there.

I think I would prefer the option of having it with no nose band as that's what I do currently, easier to get on and off. I'll have a look at Libby's thank you, I think they were the ones I was thinking of, couldn't remember the name!

Reactions: Jessey
Libby's and Zilco are the two names I know. I have to say I'm wary of webbing as I worry it wouldn't break in an emergency, and would rather buy a leather sliphead and put it somewhere the foxes can't reach.

Reactions: MrA
We too leave headcollars at the field and Ella's leather one was chewed through by foxes. We were all asked to use leather because the webbing ones get soaked through if it rains in the night. When Ella's got chewed, I bought a strip of leather, punched holes in it and replaced the long head strap.
But then I bought her a new leather head collar and treated it well with several coats of neatsfoot oil before taking it to the yard. I remember this well as it was the last time we left the house before Covid lock down in March 2020. That head collar is still in use and looks fine.
I ought to oil it again, I suppose.

Reactions: MrA
When i accidentally left the headcollars in the field it was the leather one they chewed up. Get a container with secure lid that you can put it in to leave by the gate.

Reactions: carthorse and MrA
Libby's and Zilco are the two names I know. I have to say I'm wary of webbing as I worry it wouldn't break in an emergency, and would rather buy a leather sliphead and put it somewhere the foxes can't reach.
Zilco aren’t straight webbing, they’re biothane (basically plastic coated webbing). I use a zilco bridle on Monkey, Jess had one too. I’ve never tested their breakability, I’m sure the material wouldn’t break, but assume the hardware will as with most webbing (and honestly most leather) headcollars. Libby’s buckles gave the one time I had one of those get caught.

Reactions: carthorse and MrA
I just assumed the webbing ones would have break points built in but I'll look into that more before I buy. It's yard rules to keep them where we hang them, wouldn't be a problem but mine can't be trusted to be led in just a headcollar

He looks lovely in it!

My libby's bridle went strong for years, I only upgraded to biothane for my own personal preference.

newrider.com