Talk to me about your management :)

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I am helping out with four horses that are on a combined system, in during the day and out at night all year round.
I scratched my head a little because I have only really thought to bring in over night in winter, and I am turning out around dusk.
I am not being critical of this owner because her decisions are to turnout to avoid the heat of sun, flies and higher levels of sugar in summer and not to be turning out onto frosty frozen grass in winter.
Does anyone else do this?

I always think it's interesting reading about how others keep their horses with regard to turnout. If it wasn't for NR a long time ago - I'd never ever have discovered the joys of summer turnout both night and day:D
But of course, this last summer everything had to chsnge because of the re injured tendon.
I think if your horse needs less sugary grass and not frosty grass then turning out at night makes good sense, plus if you have lots of flies then yeah, night time and in during the day sounds good.
I have been offering Zi all options, he totally free ranges in order to keep him mobile. He has no other issues so can come and go as he pleases. The old bird (Chloe) has told me in plain terms she WILL NOT stay out overnight in winter;) and the madam herself seems happy to be in, which is just as well as 99% of her shennanigans and leg mishaps happened during the night!!!!

I think having them out at night is a good idea as they get longer out that way too!

Mouse lived out 24/7 when he was with me because I didn't have other options but it really wasn't the best routine for a supremely good doer with sweet-itch! At the riding school he goes out overnight in a dirt paddock with soaked hay, and comes in during the day where he shares a stable with another wee pony called Bad Boy :p Health- and weight- wise this is the best routine for him and it means he doesn't have to wear a muzzle or be in his SI rug 24/7.
Annie still lives out at her loaner's place but has a walk-in stable so it's totally up to her what she does. Apparently she hardly ever uses it, but it's nice to give her the option as their paddocks are quite exposed.

I changed yards partly to have more control over Pete's management.

He's still out 24/7 but will have to be stabled overnight shortly for winter.

Going into the Spring I'll have him out at night as NCS are lower in the grass with the view to out 24/7 providing there isn't too much grass, otherwise he'll remain out overnight in the Summer.

When the weather starts to turn a little, he'll be back out 24/7 until YO asks us to bring in.

I've thought about keeping Lottie out overnight and bringing in during the day as that way she wouldn't miss time out in the field when she has to stay in for the farrier etc. But I'm riding in the mornings so it's handy having her in atm and she's in a routine now. The horses in the feld behind are out overnight and very happy with it.

Mine are out 24/7, Jess hates being in so it suits her, they both have access to shelter when they want it tho.
If there's a lami prone amongst your 4 (or good doers and owner has had a previous run in with laminitis) I can see why putting them out at night suits.

I've thought about keeping Lottie out overnight and bringing in during the day as that way she wouldn't miss time out in the field when she has to stay in for the farrier etc. But I'm riding in the mornings so it's handy having her in atm and she's in a routine now. The horses in the feld behind are out overnight and very happy with it.
The owner rides after work so I just leave in who she is working.
Farrier comes before they are due to go out, so it doesn't affect the turnout.

newrider.com