tangled tails - what do you use?

Third pig oil and sulphur. When I do Toby's legs if I remember I do his tail as well. Although he does look after his tail and mane actually. Friend's Section D looked like a mohican the other day she had all burrs in her huge forelock and it made it all stick up - bless her!!!

I use Mr Sheen or Pledge on Kels's tail - be careful to avoid the dock, and as for the mane - don't go there! I use a leave-in teatree conditioning spray I got for 99p from Home Bargains on her mane.

I use pig oil as two of my horses have lots of feathers and thick tails. It is very economical and keeps their feathers, mane etc tangle free. I have found the best brush for thick tails is the round Oster brush. I couldn't live without pig oil and my Oster brush!

word of warning, if you (or the horse) have sensitive skin Canter is awful!! i used it once when i couldn't get my regular brand and my hands swelled up to twice their normal size. Was violently allergic. If it did that to me i wasn't chancing it on the horses so threw it away. I like the mark todd event range competition silk. That, combined with a weekly application of cowboy magic detangler has kept toby's mane and tail in great condition. cowboy magic is £11 but a bottle will last years. I often feel cheap products are a false economy.

Second the "Cowboy Magic" - it works wonders for burrs and you only need a small dab.

I find any normal human hair conditioner works wonders, put a cople of dollaps in warm water, and for extra effectiveness add a few drops of teetree oil in as well, give it a good stir and put it in a spray bottle.
Then you just use as normal.

I also swear by canter mane and tail, fantastic stuff.

OMG! Kis... I think I would CRY if confronted with that!!! :giggle:

Wash and condition tail... that really IS a good starting point for keeping it silky and then either pig oil, baby oil or Canter. But do plait whilst the burrs are out... it will still make a good "thwacker" for fly-swatting!!!

For manes I use baby oil, mixed with a bit of water and conditioner in a spray bottle. For tails, the same for jazz all over, Junes tail is shaved at the top, she rubs it and makes it sore so I always work neat baby oil into it to keep it soft and the bottom of it, for shows I use pledge. Just keep away from the docks!!

newrider.com