Tapatalk Removed

Mike

May 23, 2000
Herefordshire, UK
www.newrider.com
We've removed Tapatalk functionality from the site. I know it was used by some of you for ease of access but it has never been a great piece of software. Each update was still flaky in various ways and we were growing increasingly uncomfortable with a third party application that had direct access to the database for obvious privacy and security reasons.

I bought it but it caused endless problems and I uninstalled. Very glad you are rid of it Mike as it used to pop up asking me to buy it - again.
By the way the history forums I belong to never used it.

Times change very fast in the worId of IT. Tapatalk was once essential. I bought the ap when I got my first Android smart phone. I would check my emails, new rider, twitter etc on a half hour train commute. Having aps that connected directly to the social media site or forum was convenient because in those days phones took a long time to down load sites and the phone signal from the train was frequently intermittent or lacking.
I had a new state of the art phone this year. Modern phones load websites very quickly and so it is easy to reach NR through a browser, as one might from one's computer. Plus there is a lot of wi fi around in public spaces.
What mobile phones still lack is sufficient memory. Especially for people like me who have lots of aps or photos. Each ap one installs takes memory and each update inevitably demands still more space. I gave my old phone to OH because it lacked sufficient memory to play my downloaded music in the kitchen and even my new expensive phone was criticised for lack of memory.
So I have cut right back on aps for individual sites - Tapatalk, Facebook etc.
Plus the novelty of checking emails etc on the train has faded. I now read my Kindle book on my phone instead.
But I may look at NR on OH's i-pad. And Tapatalk is a pain in the neck, popping up and pressing me to buy and use the apple version which I never had.
Each of us uses IT, our phones, the NR site in our own individual way. I am not recommending anything - just reporting my own use with pretty expensive phones. And even that has changed.

Ah that'll be why I couldn't acces it, oddly I was still getting notifications of new posts from it but couldn't access them via that. Oh well least I know and can uninstall it now as only used it for NR

newrider.com