Teeth rasping

Oooh I don't think so. He commented recently on how little Chloe had left of hers, they are pretty worn but she manages fine. What makes you ask?

No mine doesn't either, in fact how could they when the plates on the gag cover them? My edt always checks them but never rasps, do you have a link to the article @Jessey?

Would love to read it.

Reactions: Jessey
Our dentist can pin point horses weakness by dental state. One of ours has been off work wth very slght stffness in one hock sure enough the dentst not knowng ths asked if the horse had off side stiffness because of unusual wear on tthe near side teeth. I am not surprised about the foot wear/dental wear matchng but wonder what other factors are influential in both changes??

That's very interesting eml, and comes only a few days after my saddler saying something similar about saddle fit. Sounds like pretty soon we'll have to have all the professionals together!

Reactions: newforest
That's very interesting eml, and comes only a few days after my saddler saying something similar about saddle fit. Sounds like pretty soon we'll have to have all the professionals together

We have just taken on a horse that had been somewhat negected and consulted all our tame professionals for advice. Turned out to be worm, teeth , osteo and farrier in that order at two day intervals followed by tack and riding, seems to have worked!!

They sometimes have to if they have to take a lot off the back teeth.

The normally take the gag off and it's done loose, normally if it needs done they are sedated.

Teeth due this month so will ask. Our vet has camera so you can see everything now, the before and after.

It only surprises me that some people do not get vet or edt to check the teeth.
That's very interesting eml, and comes only a few days after my saddler saying something similar about saddle fit. Sounds like pretty soon we'll have to have all the professionals together!

I could be wrong but in the States isn't it usual for a vet to also be a trained farrier?

As it's a teeth topic.

Who has the machine as oppose to by hand. Yay or nay.
I have to say it was the machine mine didn't like and she actually had that last time round with less sedative.

As it's a teeth topic.

I have to say it was the machine mine didn't like and she actually had that last time round with less sedative.
I've always had mine done by hand as the one edt who used a machine was renowned for taking too much tooth off with it and the one time I was convinced to use her apparently both my horses took an immediate dislike for her and tried their best to kill her, I trust their judgement. My vets just brought and trained on the machines about 3 years ago so I've had them done with those the last 2 years, they do and major work (big hooks etc) with them and finish buy hand still

My vet uses the machine and finishes off by hand. It is 1 vet in particular at the practice who does the teeth, he trained for teeth and has a real passion from them. He was like a kid at xmas showing me all the new kit but he did say you dont always need to use the machine and some horses he just does all hand work.

Im havibg mine done end oct/beginning Nov so will ask him about the fronts as bot something ive seen him do.

As it's a teeth topic.

Mine have had both. Both veterans get checked every three months, mainly for picking and flushing - as they have widening gaps. Chloe will allow the vet to lightly rasp by hand without sedative. Storm will not allow anything without sedative so we go straight to that and sometimes she has the electric burr. More often than not they don't need a lot of rasping. Zi had his checked when he came in May and vet was very pleased as they have been well maintained and are in good order. He was very chilled and let him have a good look in there, I doubt if he will need a sedative for any rasping next year.

newrider.com