The Lottie Diaries

@newforest I just wish the board were full height inbetween the stables instead of grills. Lottie is Miss Independent and doesn't want attention from other horses. She is being a fab patient, she's so good just need to get this sorted as although she's fine and people have told me she'll get used to it and they can't tell she's being different, I can and don't see why she should have to get used to it. She doesn't like it so it's up to me do to something about it, goodness knows she does enough for me!!!

Thanks @newforest that could work but I think I'd need 2 or 3 so could be quite pricey. I'e seen some cheap plywood or garden screening so might try that. I'll see what my OH thinks, he's very practical so should be able to put something up.

Reactions: orbvalley
Missing riding my girl :(

arena xc.jpg

I'm lucky I've got a few rides all lovely big posh horses with proper breed line not like the bog pony. If anything it's making me miss her more and made me realise how much we're suited. They're aren't as clever with their feet as she is nor as bold or honest or can have a bronk, more reactive whilst Lottie is workmanlike, give her a job and she'll get on with it no fuss no drama. All these horses have tonnes of jump and scope and I'd expect them too. But it's made me realise even more how special Lottie is, she doesn't do what she does because she's bigger sports horse type with good breeding. She does it with her huge heart and enthusiasm for life and I will always admire her for that. She is unlike anything else I've ever ridden, the under dog, the diamond in the rough. And I will never let her go, she has a home for life here.

Lottie is being the perfect patient and doesn't seem too fed up of box rest yet. She's allowed walks but can't put her out as the injury is on the joint so the skin will stretch and could open if she runs round and I can't risk an infection especially where it is. We are very nearly there though and hopefully it won't be long until I'm back on her, I can't wait!!

The only problem I've got is a new horse moved in next door, 17.2hh and lunges at her. The stables have bars on the top half so they can see each other. This scares Lottie to the point she didn't dare eat her hay as he'd lunge at her. So I put her in my other horses stable as he lives out so not using it atm. All fine, but then another big horse that pulls faces has been put on the other side of her so she's gone off her food again and goes very quiet. My stables are next to each other so which ever one she's in she's got a big dominant horse one side. I want to put something up attached to the bars so it's more like a traditional box. Thinking something I could maybe cable tie to the bars so could easily be taken down but doesn't look a mess. Has anyone got any idea?

Poor Lottie. I hope you can sort something for her. We've had to think of things to make the byre suitable for three during bad weather. Chloe would get bullied by them so she's on the end and more than happy. But Zi thinks he's in charge of madam and he was stopping her drinking by leaning right over, he's like a huge giraffe at 17hh and can lean in almost in every corner. OH has nailed up some more wood but tomorrow it needs more fettling as he can actually bite her bum if she uses the other half or her box. Lots of Lottie vibes.

@orbvalley thank you, she is soooo lovely. She makes me smile from the moment I step onto the yard. I have been offered very good money for her from someone in my hunt but money can't buy how she makes me feel. I wouldn't get another one like her. I've never had to tell her off, she is perfect all the time, such a sweet little mare.

@Jane&Ziggy I really do thing it was fate, my friend calls us the untouchables as I'm so happy and confident on her nothing or anything can touch us :p she is my inner Zen.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbvalley
Thanks @Trewsers it's difficult isn't it. Chloe sounds Lottie. Lottie is easily intimated and she also doesn't come across like she needs to see other horses through the grills to be happy. She is very self confident and independent. One horse has moved so she's now back to nothing either side of her, which suits her best as she's eaten a full haynet last night which she wasn't doing. My OH is getting some plywood this weekend so if a horse moves in again we'll put that straight up. Even he thinks a lot of Lottie "we can't have her upset, not Lottie, I'll sort it out".

I do believe horses find us. You didn't want a mare, but she wanted and needed you to come along. :D

I think so too! I cannot tell you how happy and what a positive impact she's had on my life. Seems daft, she's just a horse but she's my bit of happiness. I was so against a mare! I rememer the voicemail from her old owner saying I've got a horse matches your description but it's a mare yet something made me call her back. I had a good feeling about her right from the start. I fall in love her a bit more everyday. I feel like I'm still in that omg I've got a new horse and she's amazing phase and it's not going away haha.

My local RS has a block of those grill type stables - they use them for storage as all the horses got bullied through the bars.
I think you should start up a "Protect Lottie Fund" I'd contribute to it as she's soooo lovely:D

Reactions: Lissie and Trewsers
Having a horses is all about enjoyment and fun to me. It's an expensive way to be unhappy, the idea is to be contented and happy.
I'm thrilled you are really happy, it's a great feeling isn't it. I'm happy with mine, ok she's not a 100% take anywhere, but, I'm still happy. :)

Reactions: Lissie and Trewsers
@orbvalley ahhh I love that others see how cool she is. Now one horse has moved she's back to nothing either side but we're going to put the plywood up anyway as something will get put in there eventually.

@newforest it is the best feeling, I just can't wait to get back on her!

Last edited:
Reactions: newforest
newrider.com