There is good news and there is bad news

X

xJenniferx

Good news is that Tyler managed to keep the silicone pads on for 2 weeks before they came off. Quite chuffed as I wass hedging my bets they would last one week. They both came off in the past couple of days. Vet came out today and has suggested the ground is too wet for them. She is going to phone my farrier and look as Mastad (?) pads or whether he wants to stick with silicone.

Bad news, Tyler is on box rest for 4 weeks. First instance he is still lame albeit 1/10th compared to his original 3-4/10ths. The shoes have made a massive difference. The lack of silicone however is not going to help, so he is on box rest until they go on (this week) and still on box rest after that so that they dont get wet. I can turn him out into the school as long as it is dry, so will probably use the indoor school during the day when no one is about.

Vet will be back out in 4 weeks. I am having a fit at him being kept in but I know it is for the best. He is quite happy munching on his haylage, but I would far rather he was out munching on grass while messing about doing what horses do.

Poor Tyler! At least if he gets out for a wee wander round the school then its better than being stuck in the box completely, so Im sure he wont mind....doesn't sound like he is bothered being in so far!!

Hope all goes well with the new silicone later this week!

Box rest can be hard – we owners worry so much about their sanity! Take each day as it comes is my best advice.

Are over reach boots any use to stop him removing his shoes?

Glad there was a difference with his shoeing hope he continues on the road to recovery. :)

:D Never thought of over reaches!!!!! May just pop them on when he gets turned out in the school and see what happens. Fab idea lol.

Tyler just goes in the huff with me. Everyone else comments on how well he copes and that he doesnt cause any problem. I go in, get a glare then he swings his bum to face me :eek:. Is that what I did to my mum when she grounded me!!!!

lol

I take it he's lost the pads but not the shoes? Could you not get him some hoof boots and lightweight foam pads and turn him out in them over the shoes? Unless your fields are seriously boggy it's something that might actually work quite well.

Aw, sorry to hear about your box rest - its awful isn't it? Our Joe has been on box rest on and off now for about 6 months - its such a worry. I know just what you mean about them being happy munching at their nets, but its not the same as grass. Try and think about it being all for the greater good in the end etc etc. I try and spend as much time as I can just hanging around his box - at least he knows I'm there! (Prob not much comfort when its a sunny day but at least I can try!)

Natural Balance (which he will now have on full time) shoes are still in place.

The field is pretty bad at the bottom. The pic shows what it is like in 60% of the bad section of field. Up at the top there is grazing etc, but the horses play around the bottom end and end up churning everything up, so dont look at it and think the field is bad as it really isnt lol. How are the hoof boots for horses slipping in them?

101_3955.jpg

That doesn't look too bad :) I've turned out in much worse in old macs post abcess and they stayed on fine, the grip is pretty good in them too. Using them over shoes will invalidate the warranty, but that's not worth much anyway. The boots will get claggy when wet and are a bit of a pain to clean, but they should work OK, you just need to disinfecting them and his hooves daily with something like hibiscrub to keep thrush at bay. Using gaiters supplied with them or cheap hiking socks will avoid rubbing problems. You may not actually need to use pads as there won't be any sole pressure.

Have a look at www.easycareinc.com and www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk for more info.

I know this may be a long shot jen but Gaffa tape???

Kia had this on over his hoof when he had the injury to stop him pulling off his melolin :eek:

A nappy and gaffa tape and if you only cut the top tape of to loosen it and put hibi scrub inside it lasts a few days :)

Just my experience hun

Nikki xxxx:)

The nappy/gaffa tape will be off in no time. :rolleyes: Thats part of the reason i am reluctant to use boots and he will ither destroy them or get them off and loose them.
:mad: lol.

Hows K getting on?

Jen
x

P.S, one word for you phone :mad:

I used to think the Old Macs got very mucky - until we moved and I got access to a hose :D Now, cleaning them up takes about a minute, hurrah!

I wouldn't worry about thrush from the boots - the pads are far more likely (being non-removable) to result in thrush ;) After I've hosed off the boots, I give a quick squirt of Milton inside and leave it to dry.

I have turned out in them post abscess too and - given that Jackson clearly knows his grandaddy was a racehorse - they stay on with no slipping despite frightening speed, turns, leaps and normal Scottish level of mud. Jackson has actually run at high speed through a swamp in them in the old field and they stayed put.

Have to say they did launch themselves off at Skippy's Mum when we went for a good blast a few weeks back but I think that was because they were quite old (2 years) and so had got a bit loose. The two new ones he had on his backs stayed put just fine.

Worth a try and more flexible (and fun for Tyler) than full-on box rest - if he's just standing still to keep shoes on rather than for e.g. a ligament to heal and you can do something to keep them on while he's out, it's prob worth it for everybody's sanity ;)

yeh, very True,

Explaining to Tyler that due to mums reluctance to spend money he will be stuck indoors, is not going to go down well. :rolleyes::eek:

Thre was a thread about fitting these a while back wasnt there? Plus our discussion in Glasgow lol.

Kia is doing brilliantly!!! Shame the gaffa tape etc wont work as nice cheap solution lol!!! Botties might be an option but yes expensive for only such a short time.

Will PM ya lol!!!!

Nikki xxxx

Hi

I too have turne out in old macs re abcess recovery and my boy is like yours, EVERYTHING comes off, but the boots dont:) they have good grip too even in the muddiest conditions.

I clean mine with a spray of cider vinegear:)

Good luk for a speedy recovery.:D

newrider.com