Those who sent their horses away to be schooled...

Sexy Sietske

Aug 18, 2006
Derbyshire/nottinghamshire
How old was your horse?

How much did it cost? (per week)

How long did they go for?

Where you pleased with the results?

How did you decide where to send your horse?

Was they schooled for something specific, eg dressage/jumping?

What was your reasons for sending them, lack of knowledge, time, facilities, ect?

I have been considering sending the smelly boy away for schooling but I am so picky with who handles him and what they do with him as he can be quite quirky with new people but with me being at uni I am finding I don't have the time to be consistant enough get him going properly, so looking for some info/advice or even recommendations?

How old was your horse? 3 1/2
How much did it cost? (per week) £160

How long did they go for? 3 weeks

Where you pleased with the results? utterly amazed yes

How did you decide where to send your horse? through getting the lady out to do some basic training with me and Porsha at home

Was they schooled for something specific, eg dressage/jumping? for her to be backed, trained parelli and a few inhand moves for dressage

What was your reasons for sending them, lack of knowledge, time, facilities, ect? My original plan was to do her at home, then to get help out when required but the cheaper and more constant option was to send her to trainer, I was still part of it and was local:D

I have been considering sending the smelly boy away for schooling but I am so picky with who handles him and what they do with him as he can be quite quirky with new people but with me being at uni I am finding I don't have the time to be consistant enough get him going properly, so looking for some info/advice or even recommendations?

I would definatley recommend my trainer, pm if you want her details, she is in Ecclesfield Sheffield.:D

How old was your horse? 9yrs

How much did it cost? (per week) £200 approx ( i think)

How long did they go for? 2 weeks

Where you pleased with the results? got told she had leg problem and after loads of visitis from people found out she was fine but were right back to start =z

How did you decide where to send your horse? word of mouth

Was they schooled for something specific, eg dressage/jumping? she didnt actually come back any different so in the end had to seel =(

What was your reasons for sending them, lack of knowledge, time, facilities, ect? time mainly but being 14 at the time knowledge aswell

How old was your horse? 4yo

How much did it cost? (per week) £110

How long did they go for? 4 weeks

Where you pleased with the results? yes and no

How did you decide where to send your horse? Very good friend of mine

Was they schooled for something specific, eg dressage/jumping? Jumping

What was your reasons for sending them, lack of knowledge, time, facilities, ect? I injured my back and had to have complete rest, so killed 2 birds with 1 stone

Lexi came back to me and she can now jump - very pleased about that, however, she has been schooled by someone who rides very differently to me, and that, I was disappointed about - it took me about 4 weeks to 'get to grips with her', but now she's amazing to ride :D

I'm having someone school my pony for me at home as I didn't like the idea of sending him away.

I always arrange for her to come when I am around so I can see how my pony is progressing. I can also see what she is doing differently to me.

She has been 4 times now and she rides him for 45 mins per session and the results are amazing! I rode him for the last 10 mins of the session on Saturday and I couldn't believe I was riding the same pony! He was lovely and balanced and on the bit - something I have never achieved!

Its costing £25.00 per 45 min session and she usually comes 2 or 3 times per week.

Would definitely recommend it!

Ahh all good reports so far :D

The problem I have with Nelson is he get BORED... the word 'school' or 'menage' is enough to send him to sleep :rolleyes:

Think I might get saving my pennies to ship him off to boot camp :p

Ill keep your recommendation in mind kirby, sheffield is not too far away ;)

I'm sending Percy off soon, hes going on a field trip! He will be going for schooling... so will be able to reply in a couple of weeks!!!!

ETA 12 pound a day, but I will supply his own food :)

Misteeq, your trainer sounds fab and like you I would rather someone came to me a couple of times a week than send my horse away. Can I ask where you are based in the country/who the lady is/is she a friend or does she do this professionally? (PM me if you prefer) Thanks :D

How old was your horse? 3yo

How much did it cost? (per week) £125

How long did they go for? 13 weeks

Where you pleased with the results? yes very

How did you decide where to send your horse? Someone I had lessons on and off with

Was they schooled for something specific, eg dressage/jumping? Backing/western

What was your reasons for sending them, lack of knowledge, time, facilities, ect? As a 2 year old Jess was horrible, she kept kicking me and was very agressive.....hormones! I lost my confidance with her, but even my trainer, who has many years experiance and is used to getting on different horses every 5 minutes, spent the first 3 weeks getting to grips with her before he tried getting on!
I really wanted to back Jess myself but being a very dominant mare even the slightest waiver from me and she would have taken over, given she had already kicked me in the face and pinned me against a gate and given both barrells I was a little nervous with her. After the first 3 weeks of my trainer riding her I went over and rode and have never looked back, she has turned out to be an amazing horse who I can do anything with. She did go back for another 4 weeks as she was rising 5, but that was more about progressing her training quicker than I could ready for the next show season, but again, very happy with the results, I noticed a real difference in her. Through both of these periods when she was away I alays went over about twice a week and either did some work under instruction or watched them working her to learn what they were doing so i could carry on the same when I got her home.

Hi Julia G,

Yes she is fantastic! I can't beleive the difference in my pony already after only a short time! She schools and competes for a living, and she was recommended to me through a friend of a friend.

I've had lessons over the years, but I must say she is without doubt the best instructor I have ever had. She is only young, but she certainly knows what she is doing! I'm going to continue my pony's eductation with her for a few more months and then just have weekly lessons with her.

She is based in North Yorkshire, like me, so if you are near to the area then I can always give you her number if you are interested?

I sent my pony over 6 years ago to Parklands Equestrian. They were very good with him. :) I would highly recommend them.

How old was your horse? 5

How much did it cost? (per week) £125 (it was 6 years ago though!)

How long did they go for? 3 weeks

Where you pleased with the results? Very pleased he came back a totally different horse. We were welcomed to go and visit him anytime. I had lessons on him for the last week or so every few days which was included in the schooling livery price, he was very well taken care of. I sometimes visited him without warning and he was always imaculate and had hay etc.

How did you decide where to send your horse? Its quite a local place to me and I knew someone who had recently sent there horse there to be broken and was very impressed.

Was they schooled for something specific, eg dressage/jumping? General basic flatwork as he'd only just been broken in, as well as his manners!

What was your reasons for sending them, lack of knowledge, time, facilities, ect? Well at that time i was a tiny 13 year old who was struggling to handle a very rude and ignorant pony both to handle and ride!!! I also was struggling in terms of facilities. I had no school at that point.

I have a 5 year old Irish Sports Horse, Mare bought over from Ireland last summer when I bought her. She wasn't very well schooled and was very ill when I viewed her the 4 times but was an absolute angel. Unfortunately she was nothing but skin and bone with no muscle and a big wormy belly! 6 months down the line, she has found her feet and has filled out extremely well, with a nice top line and a muscly bum. Along with that, she has got better in the school with where to put her feet but she has finally realised how fit she has got and what her body can do... handstands, showing the tummy etc... its got to the point where every time i ride her she does her best to buck and bronc me off, although she is the calmest little thing ever on the ground and in her stable. i have tried absolutely everything to wear this off and she is exercised near enough every day, she's on frisky mare plus with doesn't seem to be doing much. There is a lot more i have tried but me and everyone else have come to the conclusion that maybe sending her off to be professionally schooled is the only option. I have heard a lot about training yards good and bad and I'm a bit stuck !i have currently got my horse at sparsholt college with me and maybe the busy environment isn't her thing. Which when i take her home, its the complete opposite. she lives with my little foal we rescued with her. Thanks in advance, any advice possible will be appreciated.

How old was your horse? 7yo

How much did it cost? (per week) £100

How long did they go for? 2 weeks

Where you pleased with the results? yes

How did you decide where to send your horse? Yard owners racing yard

Was they schooled for something specific, eg dressage/jumping? to continue backing process

What was your reasons for sending them, lack of knowledge, time, facilities, ect

Lack of facilities (big open field - although did manage to back 2 x others this way!) also lack of confidence as one day he wouldn't mind being saddled/sat on the next day he would bronch like crazy. I wanted to see how he would behave with the pro's (absolutely golden every single time they worked with him!).

newrider.com