Thrushy soles and not shedding

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Perfect storm of weather really, very very dry and then few days of damp.

I've been trying to get ales soles off for a while now, he sheds them a few times a year and I could see they needed to come off. Today the finally did

Underneath was vile stinky black thrush. I've scrubbed this morning and he's got a trim today.

Best way to avoid this in future? Maybe soak his feet and try exfoliate the sole during the dry spell?

Any advice appreciated, feel bad for his trimmer today as they are nasty!

I keep seeing people say spray with apple cider vinegar for thrush. Red horse products are supposed to be good.

Regular hibiscrub was was not recommended as it dries the feet too much.

Ive just used my sheep foot dip which is zinc based on the odd occasion for thrush.

I wouldn’t try and hurry along the shedding, when we get dry weather and the ground is so hard its natures way of giving them some protection from it. As soon as it sheds out any thrush underneath will clear up naturally with oxygen getting to it.

There is still some debate in science circles if thrush is the chicken or the egg with shedding sole, is it something that takes advantage of a retained sole or is it part of the normal process causing the sole to shed?

Reactions: carthorse
I think my vet prescribed an iodine solution for Bens feet when he had thrush. Can’t really remember exactly what was wrong with his feet now, but the iodine helped.

newrider.com