Thunderbrook feeds

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Does anyone use the above, interested to hear what you use and what sort of results (if any) you have had.

Thank-you :D

Few people on my yard tried them and they didn't agree with their barefoot horses.

I looked at the feeds and even tried Kia with a few samples but he turned up his nose at them, he's pretty fussy.

Reactions: MrA
I put jess on the base mix for a while but she piled weight on with it and that was right before she went lame when she was working hard. Some of the fb barefoot groups really rate it but a little birdy tells me they are admin'ed by the owner and anyone with anything other than praises to sing mysteriously dissappears from the group ;)
I've got Jess on agrobs weisencobs now, which are low cal and she loves them and is holding a nice (low for her) weight on them which considering she isn't working is a miracle. I soak them for longer than they suggest as I remember someone on here had a few problems with choke and noticed if I only did the 20 mins they suggest they weren't completely soft, I've had her on it a couple of months now with no problems :)

Neala has been on it for over 1.5 years now and it really was what turned a corner for us. I had had terrible problems with her digestion which in turn effected her feet,skin,coat,temperament etc.
She had a course of liquid gold and gut restore when we first started alongside basemix and healthy herbal chaff. She now has just the basemix and herbal chaff with equicarb in the grass growing months.
Torin is in herbal chaff with daily essentials.

Both have improved in their overall health and have great feet and just generally are very well. I love it but understand it won't work for every horse and it can take abit of careful introducing to horses that are especially used to sugary mixes and straights.

Few people on my yard tried them and they didn't agree with their barefoot horses.

I looked at the feeds and even tried Kia with a few samples but he turned up his nose at them, he's pretty fussy.

Ale isn't fussy so I don't think that would be a problem. Any idea why they didn't agree with their horses? Thanks :)

I put jess on the base mix for a while but she piled weight on with it and that was right before she went lame when she was working hard. Some of the fb barefoot groups really rate it but a little birdy tells me they are admin'ed by the owner and anyone with anything other than praises to sing mysteriously dissappears from the group ;)
I've got Jess on agrobs weisencobs now, which are low cal and she loves them and is holding a nice (low for her) weight on them which considering she isn't working is a miracle. I soak them for longer than they suggest as I remember someone on here had a few problems with choke and noticed if I only did the 20 mins they suggest they weren't completely soft, I've had her on it a couple of months now with no problems :)

Thank-you I will look into this also then, ale isn't really working currently but have not heard of this feed whereas everyone seems to suggest thunderbrooks, but like you say that may not be for legit reasons.

Well all those who tried the feeds ended up with soft feet and they along with Kia and a few others who changed feeds ended up with WLD.

I put Kia's down to the cereal content of the branded cereal free top spec lite as other than that it was the only feed he was on daily, as a result he ended up having to have front shoes on for a cycle due to an over trim and the poor growth and WLD due to the cereals he was getting when he's cereal intolerant.

The others were on thunderbrook and they also had soft feet and WLD despite being carefully managed and their owners being very barefoot minded.

I also have seen the thunderbrook reps barefoot page on FB and yep if you say anything against the feeds you're chucked off, also if you dare suggest any form of showing or even an opinion that is not the same as theirs you are banned from the page, I walked after getting disgusted with all the butt hole licking that was going on.

ETA most of the barefoot people on my yard use agrobs now and they are getting in great with it. I was giving Kia their muesli for a bit but the lack of energy content meant I had to feed monumental amounts and add linseed to keep his weight up so I went back to what I knew worked all winter and kept him at a good weight :) he licked he bowl with their muesli, the chaff and some beetpulp :)

I think it's like everything what suits one doesn't suit another. Malaika was on halleys feeds and done fantastic on them, Neala had been on all sorts and nothing helped until TB so it's horses for courses.
The barefoot groups,not all but some are pretty loyal to a fault at times but I'd recommend talking to Eddie or Deborah,neither pushed a feed onto me and have offered continuous support all this time.
I do know one particular won't have anything said as there was a very bad time of them been bashed and it led to a slander case and the group stopped all bashing and talk due to this.
Agrobs are another well voted but I'd also recommend halleys feeds.

Pete's been on it for a while - no complaints here & our barefoot trimmer has commented on jow good the quality of hoof is. We switched from Simple Systems, if that's any help!

I put Lisa on base mix, herbal chaff and oatbran from TB on advice from their nutritionist. She had sloppy poos, drank loads of water, was girthy, had dull looking skin and felt the cold badly. Also fussy with her hindlegs and seemed a bit itchy. All of which pointed to possible hind-gut issues. All her niggly symptoms have completely evaporated and she is looking great. So I rate it. But Oscar and Cally seem fine on what they were on (HiFi and Cool mix for Oscar, Alfa A Endurance mix for Cally) before so I haven;t changed them. If it aint broke and all that.

A friend of mine swears by it but haven't used it myself. My barefoot farrier recommended pure feeds and it has transformed our geldings previously naff feet.

newrider.com