To neatsfoot or not to neatsfoot that is the question

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Now then, I seem to remember a few years ago hot debate (well okay warmish) on whether or not neatsfoot rotted tack stitching or not. I was rootling about in one of my tack boxes just now and came across a large unused tin of the stuff. Feeling decidedly spring cleany (I've just cleaned tack room sinks:eek:) I was thinking about applying said oil to a pair of my long leather country boots. They don't half take a bashing in winter and after cleaning all the stuck on mud, straw, hay and other things they look "thirsty" for something.
Thoughts? Can't stand the smell of Effax any more. Threw my tub away. I have plain dubbin but that bottle says "use me":rolleyes:

Now then, I seem to remember a few years ago hot debate (well okay warmish) on whether or not neatsfoot rotted tack stitching or not. I was rootling about in one of my tack boxes just now and came across a large unused tin of the stuff. Feeling decidedly spring cleany (I've just cleaned tack room sinks:eek:) I was thinking about applying said oil to a pair of my long leather country boots. They don't half take a bashing in winter and after cleaning all the stuck on mud, straw, hay and other things they look "thirsty" for something.
Thoughts? Can't stand the smell of Effax any more. Threw my tub away. I have plain dubbin but that bottle says "use me":rolleyes:
No, resist! Unless your boots need stretching, and possibly turning a different colour. I haven’t used neatsfoot for years, since attending a saddlery course, except to stretch and/or darken the odd piece

No, resist! Unless your boots need stretching, and possibly turning a different colour. I haven’t used neatsfoot for years, since attending a saddlery course, except to stretch and/or darken the odd piece

Ah thanks. I have a pair I wouldn't mind going a different colour..... So that's something to think about....

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I've just used effax on all my harnesses. I went mad on a cleaning spree on Wednesday. I still need to do saddles. I quite like the smell of effax. I've also used kocholine.

I used to love effax but after a bad experience with a car that had leather seats I just hate the smell of it now. I've seem kocholine in the tack shop, might try some of that.

PURE nestsgoot oil WON'T ROT stitches
But nestsgoot oil Compound WILL.

It will make leather darker though.

I use pure olive oil on leather I'm not concerned on it getting darker.

I learned that from an article by a well known saddle maker years ago.

For leather I don't want to darken
I'll use Lexol.

To clean and sanitize leather.
Especially good if you buy a piece of used tack.
I use liquid Murphy's oil soap with a little old fashioned liquid lysol in the brown bottle and a touch of water.
And use a sponge to give it a good clean then wipe with old socks t shirts or towels.
Them let it air dry well
That also helps prevent mold and mildew.

Reactions: Trewsers
Do you mean tack oil?

I always oil my tack & it's always come up great :) I say go for it!

I used neatsfoot for years and didn't have any issue, but I was putting it on western/American leather and I believe that uses a different tanning process so perhaps that's why?

I've always used neatsfoot on the underside of my tack. When I bought my saddle a couple of years ago I was specifically told to oil it. Go for it :p

Okay well bad me (hehehe) I rubbed a bit onto my new ariats. They looked thirsty?? I know they are meant to be waterproof and I've not had them long but anyway......they haven't changed colour, it sank in okay. But on the whole I think next time I might to back to the dubbin. Just to be on the safe side.

There is a saddler I think his name is Austin Black (?) who sells a blend made especially for tack. Saddlers blend I think it is. I know loads of people rave about it.

I just looked up differences

The compound has petroleum distillate in it.

Guess cavalry used olive oil mixed with cod liver oil.

Dobbin was listed as being made with cod liver oil and was highly praised.

I don't think we have Dobbin HERE.

newrider.com