To shoe? - Little update

I asked my vets the same question, both agreed there was no such thing and in their view it was lameness.
Quite agree Wally but I think Skib wanted to know what to look for, you have to agree there are so many different types of 'lameness' from being 'footy' to hopping on three legs with any number of causes.

Interesting, have you tried just plain old magnesium oxide? did it have similar effects?
Nope, I only tried the Laminaze because one of my fellow liveries works for a feed store and was given it by a rep.
What does Magnesium oxide do Jessey? I did look at the ingredients and wonder if I could concoct something similar, but decided it would probably be too expensive. Will go research, thank you.

Would a supplement actually work that quick?

I feed the Equine America magnesium, just because most grazing lacks it. It lasts for six months.

Mine both get Magic as it has magnesium and pre & pro biotics and I also give them lami prone liquid. I'm guessing the lami prone must be similar to Laminaze???

Hope this answers some of yours questions on giving Magnesium, I copied it from another web site:)

Magnesium has been sold as a calmer for many years now. The reason for this is that when a horse becomes deficient they often become spooky and stressed and magnesium is needed to help produce some of the hormones needed to dampen down the adrenalin response. This can start a vicious circle. The horse gets stressed and uses what little magnesium reserves it has to dampen down the stress response. The less magnesium in the system, the more stressed the horse becomes and the more magnesium is needed to dampen down the stress. Other signs of deficiency Lack of magnesium in the diet can lead to increased respiratory rates (the horse takes more breaths per minute), muscle tremors, loss of appetite and aggressiveness or ill temper. It is thought to be linked to grass sickness, stringhalt and azoturia. More recently a link has been made between magnesium deficiency and laminitis. Because magnesium is crucial to the deposition of calcium into the bones, magnesium deficiency can also produce all of the problems associated with calcium deficiency.It has over 3,000 known uses in the body, assisting with everything from regulating blood sugar levels to formation of hormones and enzymes, production of muscle tissue, conversion of glucose to energy, maintenance of a healthy nervous system and formation of bone and red blood cells. It’s no wonder that magnesium is taking up so much attention.

Would a supplement actually work that quick?

I feed the Equine America magnesium, just because most grazing lacks it. It lasts for six months.
No idea NF but it seems too. I guess I could try stopping it for a while and see what happens. But am loathe to do that just now.

Hope this answers some of yours questions on giving Magnesium, I copied it from another web site:)

Magnesium has been sold as a calmer for many years now. The reason for this is that when a horse becomes deficient they often become spooky and stressed and magnesium is needed to help produce some of the hormones needed to dampen down the adrenalin response. This can start a vicious circle. The horse gets stressed and uses what little magnesium reserves it has to dampen down the stress response. The less magnesium in the system, the more stressed the horse becomes and the more magnesium is needed to dampen down the stress. Other signs of deficiency Lack of magnesium in the diet can lead to increased respiratory rates (the horse takes more breaths per minute), muscle tremors, loss of appetite and aggressiveness or ill temper. It is thought to be linked to grass sickness, stringhalt and azoturia. More recently a link has been made between magnesium deficiency and laminitis. Because magnesium is crucial to the deposition of calcium into the bones, magnesium deficiency can also produce all of the problems associated with calcium deficiency.It has over 3,000 known uses in the body, assisting with everything from regulating blood sugar levels to formation of hormones and enzymes, production of muscle tissue, conversion of glucose to energy, maintenance of a healthy nervous system and formation of bone and red blood cells. It’s no wonder that magnesium is taking up so much attention.

Thank you Joellie :) although the last thing she needs is a calmer. I suppose another option would be to get my grazing/hay analysed too.

Yup all that above. I feed blue chip which has it in, and also Raspberry leaf for Jess's hormones which is also rich in it, but our sandy soil here means we are desperately low so I also feed magnitude and I do think since she has been getting it her feet have tightened up loads. If you get onto barefoot forums its one of the main things they suggest feeding to support normal foot function, though its pointless supplementing it if you feed high iron feeds as iron blocks the uptake of magnesium so its worth reviewing your whole feed regime to work out what is doing what.

The laminaze does look good, ginger is very good for circulation so I can see where that would help, brewers yeast among other things is high in B1 recommended for lami, rosehips are great for foot growth (natures farriers formula), milk thistle is full of antioxidants, and it goes on, it does seem a very good supportive mix.

She only has fast fibre and only a tiny handful at that, don't think it has iron in it, she's also on the forage plus winter balancer, has been for years.
Have just checked the Allen and Page ingredients and there is no Iron in it. The only other thing she has is a salt/mineral lick, would that have Iron in it?

The red Rockies blocks do have iron in, 1500 mg/kg but given their very low intake its unlikely to be loads ingested daily and probably wont make much difference. If you are worried about salt intake loose salt is the best/cheapest thing to feed and they are more likely to get enough that way.

Mine said yuk to cinnamon, brewers yeast and one other thing I tried She likes the EA product and I don't use as a calmer. If I wanted one I would source something else, it hasn't changed my cobs attitude to life.
I will start to feed loose salt and that's eaten as well.

I asked my vets the same question, both agreed there was no such thing and in their view it was lameness.

it's a "type" of lameness though - no different to being "short" or "unlevel behind" it just describes where the lameness seems to be coming from - I agree they are still lame. Foot sore, footy all the same, just indicating that the feet are a likely cause to the lameness.

Skib - being foot sore in the early stages is changing preference about surfaces - opting to walk on a grass verge rather than a gritty surface, or being extra cautious over rough stones. It can include landing toe first and tripping too. Later stages it can include reluctance to stand, rocking the weight back (Google laminitis stance). Sure there are lots more to this too and some overlap with other issues too!

Its taken me ages to find this post but I remembered talking about this, @Kite Rider how did you go with the Laminaze? did you keep using it? I'm trying to get Jess out onto the grass as part of her lameness re-hab, she really can't figure out the muzzle and after 7 hours yesterday had elevated pulses so I was thinking of trying it to help get her over he hump

Long story but Belle has been barefoot for about 2.5 years now, initially she was fine, then last year the whole summer was pretty much a blow out because she kept getting , or so I was told, low grade lami, now since finding out that my insurance won't cover me unless I use a registered farrier I have changed my trimmer to a farrier, when he first came out he was shocked at how short her feet were and advised he do nothing, just let them grow, which I have done and she has been sound and happy on her feet until recently, this coincides with us actually getting out hacking again, bare in mind that almost all our hacking is roadwork and we do a fair bit of it in trot.
Farrier out on Wednesday suggested getting her shod for a while as he was concerned that her feet are wearing faster than they are growing and I have noticed that she is getting a bit footy again. I'm really having a dilemma now because obviously if it is that which is causing her pain then I'm happy to get shoes on, at least for the summer while she's out and about more, but now am worrying that if I do and she did have low grade lami last year how do I keep an eye out for it this year as if she is shod won't that hide the early signs? Or was last year purely down to her feet being trimmed too short? If so shoeing will be the obvious answer. Arghhh I know it should be a no brainer but I have lost a bit of faith in the 'professionals' after last year and am worrying a lot about what should be a simple decision. If any one has any advice I would appreciate it - especially those who have had any similar issues. Please no criticism though I am beating myself up enough over my negligence with the trimmer last year as it is.

Hi I'm new here so I thought I would say hi and give you an alternative idea. One of my best friends is a hoof farrier and she was talking to me about a Epona shoe. So when I got home I checked it out. They pretty much look like plastic shoes but they are much kinder on the hoof. No nails. They are glued on. A website I subscribe to http://horse-companion.com/horseshoe-crocs/ did an article about Glu-shu and Epona a while back. Worth looking at or you can go directly to Epona website.

newrider.com