To shoe? - Little update

I've just read that some QH's are shod backs only when they are barrel racing or something, apparently it offers better slippage in the sliding stops and saves them pulling fronts off as there aren't any.

If she's wearing her backs are you sure its not as she's dragging them slightly? Perhaps back issues or stiff hocks or just the way she walks?

Yes an unbalanced horse is front weight heavy, but a working horse would be more 50/50 weight?
I thought shod fronts were because in general its the fronts that are bigger and hence a bit weaker?

Guess all depends how your horse is built and moves, mine always over tracks in walk, not so in trot.

I actually question the idea that because a horse is shod you won't spot lammi so quickly. Personally I think you would if you know your horse and his way of going well enough you will very quickly pick up even the slightest bit of unevenness or footiness, shod are unshod.

Don't beat yourself up if you do need to shoe , every horse and all circumstances are different, and just go with what your instinct tells you would be right for you and your horse. I did try to take dolly barefoot when I first got her (she had dreadful brittle feet and flat sensitive soles.) Unfortunately it just didn't work for her, her feet just didn't grow quickly enough to keep up with even the lightest work load. And she hated boots, no matter how many pairs I tried on her!. But she is now shod all round, has fantastic feet and I am happy I tried my best without shoes, but it just wasn't going to work for us.

I actually question the idea that because a horse is shod you won't spot lammi so quickly. Personally I think you would if you know your horse and his way of going well enough you will very quickly pick up even the slightest bit of unevenness or footiness, shod are unshod.

Don't beat yourself up if you do need to shoe , every horse and all circumstances are different, and just go with what your instinct tells you would be right for you and your horse. I did try to take dolly barefoot when I first got her (she had dreadful brittle feet and flat sensitive soles.) Unfortunately it just didn't work for her, her feet just didn't grow quickly enough to keep up with even the lightest work load. And she hated boots, no matter how many pairs I tried on her!. But she is now shod all round, has fantastic feet and I am happy I tried my best without shoes, but it just wasn't going to work for us.

Your back! :D how has life in the real world been treating you Mrs? Good I hope, nice to see you here again though.

If she's wearing her backs are you sure its not as she's dragging them slightly? Perhaps back issues or stiff hocks or just the way she walks?

Oh god don't throw that in too.... :( I watched her this morning, she does a lovely heel first landing but twists as she lifts off so am hoping it's just that, you've got me worried now. Physio due any time actually for a check over....

Sorry I didn't mean to worry you! They said it about ale too but his back is fine, I'm sure she is absolutely fine, landing heel first doesn't sound at all like she is dragging! Sorry!

I've just read that some QH's are shod backs only when they are barrel racing or something, apparently it offers better slippage in the sliding stops and saves them pulling fronts off as there aren't any.
QHs that are shod in sliders for reining can be shod behind only but those shoes are specifically to increase the length of the sliding stop and reduce jarring on their back ends. Horses wearing them never get turned out as the shoe protudes an inch or two beyond the back of the foot and have no grip. They would never be used in barel racing.

He is a heavier breed, does he have cow hocks? That in itself can cause that twisting action as they push off. To see how well hes pushing from behind look at how well he tracks up :)

Could someone explain footiness please? And how do you distinguish between a horse which is footy and a horse that is just fed up and bolshy?
I (or rather the yard) are having problems with Old Faithful. It was considered behavioural when he disliked to canter on the sand tracks and sped off across the heath instead. But having hacked him regularly for a couple of years, I thought it was so out of character that the YO suggested he might find the sand tracks too gritty to his feet. He was unshod at that point and she put front shoes back on.
I reported that everything seemed fine, till this week he was first very reluctant to trot leaving home and then because I assumed the canter problem was sorted, I was stupidly unprepared for him to charge away from the track as soon as he was asked to canter. It isnt good for my nerves to be carried off.
How do I tell if it is his feet or insubordination? I can force him to stay on the track in canter (I did so later in the hack).
It also occurred to me that by leaving the track he gets a reward. He cuts his work load as I stop him and then I am scared to canter again so he gets a hack with very little canter. And tho he turns sharply and charges off in a direction of his own choosing, he is not bolting. And it is not my crookedness. This time he went to the left. Previously to the right so clearly he will pick the direction where there is open ground.

Ben is shod on his front and barefoot on his back. He came to me like this and after discussing it with my farrier we agreed that because he was a big heavy horse and wasn't perfectly schooled (i.e. he was more on the forehand than working correctly), and because I wanted to jump him that front shoes would give him more support. He has always been happy like this.

The horses on my yard are all worked quite hard and all are shod all round apart from Ben. I do tend to think that if horses are in full work then they do generally need the support of shoes. If your farrier has suggested shoeing your horse, this is what I would do. You can always go barefoot again if it doesn't work out.

What's peoples thinking on shod on front only? I know some farriers don't like it. I only boot the fronts if I do. If I had to shoe I would only want fronts.

I only boot on the front as well- but If I had odd situation I do have a set for the rear.
Over here there are a lot of people that only shoe on the front.

Oddly though it's the backs which are wearing more than the fronts and the backs she is 'pecky' on, anyone ever shod backs only?

It may happen over here but I have never seen a horse only shod on back.

Footiness is when they 'feel their feet' normally they shorten their stride and either slow right down and pick their way or rush to get past the ouchy ground, much like you or I would if nipping down a gravel driveway barefoot, because we are used to the protection of shoes, where people in 3rd world countries can walk miles on rough ground without batting an eyelid.
If he can walk and trot on those tracks without tanking off then there shouldn't be any reason not to canter from a footy point of view. However, as you will know if you have tried to run on sand its not easy, same for them, it particularly puts syrain on the joints if its deep so if he jad some arthritic changes in his fetlocks or hocks that might make him less keen to work in sand, depends how deep it is though.

My ride/driving boy was barefoot. He could cope for miles on end in full steam trot, and over any terrain. If he showed the slightest bit of lameness and/or his feet not coping I would of had him shod, as it was his feet were made of rock !

Reactions: joellie
@Cortrasna i think that because the sole is slightly elevated from the ground, less contact is made between problematic surfaces and the sole. Hence slightly footy horses are sound in shoes.

Madam sadly had several weeks of box rest when her shoes were pulled off as she was so uncomfortable - the only warning (which I missed) was tripping when shod - otherwise sound as a pound.

@Skib could be several reason:
1) harder work - imagine walking/running on a beach vs a pavement - it's harder work. It obviously depends on the depth of the surface but this is why "deep" sand schools cause tendon damage etc. It might not be avoiding harder work, but physically struggles to cope with that surface. Madam doesn't go well in a sand school anymore (her protest is to lie down and not move...)

2) tack - it seems a canter issue - is he struggling to lift his back under the saddle due to change in his weight etc?

3) are you asking differently due to being (understandably!) concerned?

4) pain issue elsewhere perhaps (including feet)

5) naughty napping

Little update - I remembered I had some Laminaze left from last Autumn, put her back on that three days ago and guess what? Sound and happy on her feet again, so now am thinking definitely more likely to be the beginnings of LGL again and not hoof wear in itself. So shall keep the shoes off for now and just do less road hacking until her feet catch up a bit. Does that sound like a sensible plan?

newrider.com