Top tips for spring?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
What are your top tips for spring?

I use those car cleaning mitt's (microfiber ones) for removing the loose hairs without dragging more out when I want them looking tidier.
I have also put a track in this spring to try and encourage my two to keep moving (I'm going to put my GPS on Jess tomorrow night and track it through Wednesday to see how much they actually move :) ) hopefully they will keep the lbs at bay.

Grit your teeth and remember that the spring in their step from the lush grass won't last too long! :p

Make the most of it before the pesky horse flies start hatching! :(

Furminator for hairy cobs.

Grooming stone for removing loose hair from serge panels and saddle cloths.

I still haven't slimmed down porky pig (Storm) so I am making the most of it before the green stuff kicks in! We're getting desperate! Am walking in hand and riding. And feeding the most ugly boring hay on earth - they hate it and only nibble which is better! Lol smaller portions all round. Seems I'm the only one losing weight around here....I appear to be shrinking - I am the owner of a complete BAGGY wardrobe lol. Hahaaaa.

My top spring tip would be - bott block or the Lincoln shedding thingy I won. It's fab and makes Storm have a droopy lip:D

The bloomin' bugs are plaguing my two already, and they aren't even totally out of winter rugs yet :(

My fly spray recipes;

Strong cold black tea, add a good slug of white vinegar, a tiny drop of soap (shampoo or washing up liquid), then eucalypts oil, citronella oil and tea tree oil all at 20 drops/liter, give it a good shake before use and spray on.

For a cream base I use aqueous cream or zinc and caster oil (depending where I want to put it, aqueous better for spreading all over and under belly and Z&C better for in ears as its not as runny plus its good for white bits as provides sun block) and put in the eucalypts oil, citronella oil and tea tree oil all at 8 drops per tub and mix really well.

Essential oils should be used at a low drops/liter as they can have very strong effects.

I will also be putting Miscanthus bedding in my sheds this year, just a bale or so as I noticed the bugs don't seem to like the smell of it so hopefully will keep the sheds a bug free zone. I will also make cheap fly traps and hang them high up near the sheds, again to hopefully give the horses an escape from the bugs when inside.

OL I normally vacuum my saddle cloths etc :D I wonder if I could vacuum my horse.... :p

Yes you can!! It works great and you DON'T HAVE TO SPEND BIG $$$ ON A "HORSE VAC"

YOU can get a shop vac that has a re=chargable battery so its portable. They work great
Online you can get the Nozzle end for grooming horses to put on it.

If you want one that stays in the grooming room and don't want it to be portable they make wall mount shop vac as well.
Spend the money though and order the nozzle.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com