Trapped sciatic nerve/disc bulge

Thanks peeps

Thanks everyone for taking time and effort to reply and give me tips and suggestions.

I am now getting quite a collection of 'toys' to play with and some work better than others depending on whether it is just pain plain and simple, or strong spasms!

Nintendo 'brain training' takes my mind off the pain too albeit for a little while! but unfortunately for me my dog won't let me lean on him and I keep banging my head on the floor:D because he keeps moving!! Oh well at least my sense of humour hasn't gone completely.

Went to my yards easter gymkhana this last weekend (I know it's a week early) and had a lovely time watching the kids and the not so small kids doing their fun races. Hubby won a cadbury cream egg and didn't share it with me:mad:

Am looking into inversion therapy and tables at present. Anybody ever tried these?

O...

hey
poor you.
i found out i had 2 slip disc and a degenerating spine about 2 and a half years ago. i was 30. I couldnt ride for about 18 months and could barely get dressed for much of this time. I waited 9 months for an MRI scan to establish exactly what the prob was, i had been through various chiro's, osteo's, acupuncture, healing, you name it. I was at my wits end.
Once I had the MRI I was offereed surgery but said I didnt want that, I changed my meds to diclofenac which was much better and started walking every day, i know it sounds impossible but i would dose myself up, put my ariat riding boots, which are very supportive, and walk at a snails pace on a flat surface. I found that this helped as sitting around, lying around etc for the prev 1 yr didnt help at all. I then had epidural injections in my spine. Once I had this I found that I was alot more mobile, it does something to do the pain receptors i think. anyway it took a while to recover but largely as it took so long for the docs to find out what it was then waiting lists etc.
because of the degeneration i will always have pain, but not like the disc pain, they were both on my nerves so I too lost the use of one of my legs.

If I had my time over I would have gone private right away, paid for the MRI and the steroid, physio etc. thats my best advice, as well as ice and there is a spray that i used to use all the time, like ice, that helped with the pain,
its horrible, and you feel like you will never ever recover but you do, i never thought id ride again, but i can now, i wear a back support by prolite which are also good when you are suffering with the pain, around the house etc as you can do a bit more. im no doc but can only tell you my opinion!

if you want to pm me feel free x get well soon

Thanks Wally & Jo

here you are

http://www.thebananachaircompany.co.uk/ If you have a bad back they really do make a huge difference, the recliner is nice and high too so no struggling, and lieing flat and geting back up is effortless.

Have been to visit Graham at his house in Warboys. He was so kind and accommodating:) Outcome: I am having a butterfly recliner made and have just been to purchase necessary chair covering material from John Lewis.

Graham was so kind as he has also loaned me a butterfly recliner until mine is made. What customer service!:D I haven't sat in anything else since we brought it home.

Told him where I got the recommendation from hope that was OK.

Again many thanks for your help and advice/information. O...

p.s. My MRI has come through quickly and its scheduled for two weeks today on the 8th April. I feel very lucky to have got it through so early so perhaps this episode won't take too long to put right:) Fingers and toes crossing:D:D

Elaine - I'm pleased your MRI appointment has come through so quickly. It may be worth calling them and saying that you could accept a cancellation at short notice (if you can!) - I did and they called me back the same afternoon with an appointment for that very evening. (They dont like the scanner doing nothing when it could be used.)

Glad about the Butterfly Chair too - I have a Banana Chair and its is great. The Butterfly one looks like it but on legs??

Hang in there - there is life after a disc problem, but when you have one it seems as though it will never end.

"The other Elaine"

Elaine - I'm pleased your MRI appointment has come through so quickly. It may be worth calling them and saying that you could accept a cancellation at short notice (if you can!)
Hang in there - there is life after a disc problem, but when you have one it seems as though it will never end.

"The other Elaine"

Thanks Elaine. Will give them a call perhaps as you suggest. Yesterday was big day for me going to John Lewis and now I am paying for it! Rest today I think in the Butterfly!

E...

:D :D Just had an e-mail from Graham this morning, he told me a lady from your area had been and ordered one there and then.

You won't regret it, Frances has one too and sits .......and kips in hers all the time too.

Mine is on the way back to me this week after being recovered, 14 years (maybe more) of loyal service took its toll on the fabric, the frame and everything else were still 100%. They are really well made.

You'll be really pleased you bought one. How kind of him to lend you one until yours is made.

Oh boy FT I am feeling for you as I have exactly the same problem, you too oumbagirl, have had two MRI scans and I am awaiting the results on the 2nd scan as they think discs 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 may be involved.....however I am recovering whilst awaiting all these results and I am feeling much better than I did, however I initially injured mine two years ago!!!!! For 3 weeks I could not lift my chin from my chest and honestly thought I was going to be a 'floor gazer' for the rest of my life!!!

Any disc problem be it neck, back etc., causes immense pain. You really do have my sympathy....apparently the Surgeon told me I am one of the lucky ones, I have no muscle wastage etc which he tells me he would expect with the injury I am carrying, I am reasonably fit for my age, working full time in a very demanding job, however at the moment I am on what they deem 'light duties'.

I have now gone back to dealing with my horse on a daily basis whereas for the last 2 months someone else has been dealing with him. The Surgeon was talking of operating, depending on what he saw on the 2 nd scan however, I don't think now they will operate in my case as I seem to be improving....again.....until the next time......but I think they will look at nerve blocking....have to wait and see. Hope you go on ok.

Last edited:
Hi there FT & FL - just don't realise how many folk are out there with back problems until you have one!

Sorry FT about yours hope your surgery goes well, and FL hope your improvement continues. Mine is improving very slowly, the back is no longer so painful, but as with trapped nerve stuff, the leg still is, and my foot drop has not improved. Continuing wih physio at present. Had traction today, and in three days time more traction and acupuncture. Really cannot fault either my GP or my local PCT rehab centre.

My MRI is Tues next but have mixed feelings. Suppose its decision time, but I really do not want to have invasive surgery if I can help it at all. If only the feeling in my ankle would come back and I could drive again, I would put up with the sciatica and keep on with the PT no matter how long it took!

Just want to ride again, but have been warned today it could be a year or more before I get back on - not because of the disc damage, but because of the nerve damage so I am not a happy bunny at present...:mad:

Anyways, on a more positive note, the days are getting longer, and the summer is approaching - hopefully! so can sit in the yard and watch everyone else work with their horses, whilst I talk to them!!!

FL ^ FT are you still able to ride and if so what kind of horse have you goO...

FT - how did you train your horse to lie down! awesome! Unfortunately, could not do that I think with either of ours, We have Welsh Section D very powerful, very strong 6 year old stroppy mare (but beautiful!) who my husband idolises, and mine is 6 year old ex racer thoroughbred ... so with his temprement don't think he is going to lie down - he won't even stand still to mount although he is getting better and still only a baby in real terms.

Am thinking of getting something smaller and quieter perhaps a small irish cob or something like that once I can get back on. At present, have very little strength in my right leg, and no push or flexion in ankle so riding any of the horses in our yard would be a no no at a walk they are just too mischeivous and highly strung!!!!

Just wonder how long my back is going to be before it stabilises enough to ride? OH is having kittens when I keep talking about riding - can't even drive at present as the pain is still to intense and that is after 8-9 weeks. What I need is a car with all the controls on the steering wheel then a t least I could get myself about.

Your Fjord sounds beautiful. That will be the size I will be looking for in the future, - falling off 16-17 hands is no fun these days when you are over 50!!!!

Hang in there Oumbagirl and others!

Even if you don't want surgery, the MRI scan might be quite interesting to "see" what is going on in your back, and to suggest appropriate treatment.

Ever since I started riding (end of last May) I have felt my L leg was slightly weaker than my right as a result of my ruptured disc and operation theron. The last session I had on the riding simulator showed it to be so - not badly, but I do have to work a lot harder to use it than I do my R leg, and my R leg is slightly more flexible etc than the left. Its quite nice to have my "feelings" confirmed - not to make riding impossible, just to make me aware of it.

This is said not to depress you, but to make you aware that you may find that your leg will always be slightly different to the other.

Chin up.

FT - sorry about your fusion rate, that sounds like a pretty long job too, but it would be great to hear how you are getting on etc from time to time, and how your riding style might change over time.

Elaine - I am gutted because just before my episode started I paid out 150 notes for an afternoon on a very jazzy simulator to help with my position etc for dressage and balance. Had a great afternoon, learnt a lot about my then current position, but of course will not be any good I suppose once I get back on one riding again. Will have to start from scratch. :rolleyes: and probably with a lead rein!

Best wishes peeps to all. O...

Wish I wasn't knowledgable on this. Hi Oumbagirl keep yer chin upas best you can! I know the pain is like no other.

I've been going thru the same thing this past month except I have 2 blown disks in the base of my neck pressing on the nerves going to my arms. They spasm until they cramp solid. The Dr's tried steroids. YUCK! was all I could say to those they didn't do a thing for me except make my resting heartbeat go to 115bpm. SO far the best blessing has been a nerve inhibiting drug called Neurontin and a pain killer called Oxycodone. Both are scarey stuff a one must be carefull with them. Finaly got an MRI done and it looks like I've blown 2 disks. C-5 to C-6 and C-6 to C-7. Cervical disk replacements are not as common in the US and it could be that way for days or years. I need help NOW so their going to do a fusion surgewry on me in a week. I'll have to wear a neck brace and I get to set off the metal detectors at the airport. Basically they remove the disks and any extra boney growths add in a graft to allow the bone to grow together and screw in a metal plate to help firm things up.

Most feedbacks on the procedure are good but the next time I can ride and enter a costume class I'm going to go as a BORG!

Hang in there your not alone, ice is your best friend NOT heat. I hope they find a solution for you soon. Let us know whats going on and take care fellow Newrider!

my hubbies just had this op, 3 disks fused together and 1 replaced, if you would like any info please feel free to pm me,

what i will say is he was up and home 2 days later, and is doing really well,

I'm coming in at the tail end of this thread so please forgive me if someone has said this before. Your problem sounds very much like mine, I've only three discs involved though and its my facet joints that cause the problems causing the nerve pain and muscle spasm. My consultant has been great as has my osteopath and steroid injections do help, they got me off crutches. What made a big difference drug wise is one called gabapentin, its a magic bullet for nerve pain and without that, the osteopathy and steriods I wouldn't have dreamed of going on a horse last year. I do hope that you (all of you) find treatments that work or at least effective analgesia to allow you to do what you want to, its horrible and debilitating and for a while made me think my life was over so my thoughts are with you.

newrider.com