Trimming your own horses hooves

how about unimaginable strain on tendons or causing the pedal bones to rotate by bad balancing or aiming for totally the wrong shape (angle)

Pedal bones rotate due to poor nutrition. The fact that you think a trim on a barefoot horse could cause them to rotate boggles my mind. You can aim for a 'shape' in a foot all you want, the reality is that it heals itself in days. The more you injure the foot, the faster it grows to recoup.

you may not harm the hoof capsule long term, but you could bugger its legs up!

Not probable barefoot. Hoof vs. 1000lb body... it'll right itself regardless of how you try.

Thats what i was told.

You were told wrong.

You can aim for a 'shape' in a foot all you want, the reality is that it heals itself in days

Not only that but 'shape' too much barefoot and you'll make the horse lame. The only shape a barefoot trim (or decent trim of any kind) should give you is the one the horse's pedal bone dictates. Only shoeing gives you the latitude to do any drastic 'shaping' and get away with it.

actually it is against the law to use nippers to pare the feet, not rasping and trimming with a knife. using nippers comes in to a different category of the farrier law and then you can get in trouble if you aren't qualified and paring feet with nippers.

actually it is against the law to use nippers to pare the feet, not rasping and trimming with a knife. using nippers comes in to a different category of the farrier law and then you can get in trouble if you aren't qualified and paring feet with nippers.

I was trying to look up the legisaltion but cannot find it....do you have a link?

I've never heard that one before, and again I don't think it's true. As has been said the only thing that is illegal (other than crippling the horse) is preparing the foot for a shoe. Routine trimming of unshod horses by whatever means is entirely legal.

Not a direct link, but this summarises the provisions

http://www.provet.co.uk/petfacts/The Farriers Act 1975.htm

Under this Act it is an offence for an unregistered person to describe himself as a farrier or shoeing smith, and it is an offence for an unregistered person to carry out an act of farriery. An act of farriery is described as "any work in connection with the preparation or treatment of the foot of a horse for the immediate reception of a shoe thereon, the fitting by nailing or otherwise of a shoe to the foot or the finishing off of such work to the foot" . Veterinary Surgeons and Veterinary Students under supervision are exempt from this general rule.

I think you've been misinformed, unless of course you're not in the UK?

It is legal to perform a maintainance trim (using whatever tools are necessary). What is illegal is preparing the hoof for and putting on shoes, unless you're a registered farrier.

how about unimaginable strain on tendons or causing the pedal bones to rotate by bad balancing or aiming for totally the wrong shape (angle)

you may not harm the hoof capsule long term, but you could bugger its legs up!

That sounds like precisely the effect that 7 of the 9 farriers I tried had on my old cob :rolleyes:

It is legal to perform a maintainance trim (using whatever tools are necessary). What is illegal is preparing the hoof for and putting on shoes, unless you're a registered farrier.

Not on planet Earth more like :eek:

I wish people would actually research what the law says before they spout on. Its written in English and is freely available online:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1975/cukpga_19750035_en_1

Here is what the law (Farriers Registration At 1975) REALLY says:

16. Subject to the provisions of this section it shall be unlawful—
(a)for a person who is not registered in the register to carry out any farriery...

...18. In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—

“farriery” means any work in connection with the preparation or treatment of the foot of a horse for the immediate reception of a shoe thereon, the fitting by nailing or otherwise of a shoe to the foot or the finishing off of such work to the foot;

Self explanatory really! :)

In just the same way as the bearded bloke will get hauled in by the police if any of his reindeer are dicovered to be fallow or red deer ...

Honestly, where DO you get some of these ideas from? They are so bizarre you couldn't make them up!

farriery...

...18. In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—

“farriery” means any work in connection with the preparation or treatment of the foot of a horse for the immediate reception of a shoe thereon, the fitting by nailing or otherwise of a shoe to the foot or the finishing off of such work to the foot; [/I]

[QUOTEOriginally Posted by Ansiosa

][/QUOTE]

Is this not the same thing:confused:

We bought a horse this week, his owner has been trimming his hooves for 2 1/2 years, she is supposed to be good and know what she is doing - his feet are a mess

[QUOTEOriginally Posted by Ansiosa

]

Is this not the same thing:confused:
No - a trim is a trim (no shoes, or more to the point nails, involved).
Putting shoes on is, well, putting shoes on, nails and all :)

We bought a horse this week, his owner has been trimming his hooves for 2 1/2 years, she is supposed to be good and know what she is doing - his feet are a mess
That just means that one person wasn't very good at what she did. I'm sure if you did a survey there would be any number of people who could tell tales of qualified farriers who haven't done a good job, that doesn't make all farriers bad, there's some bl**dy good ones out there :D

In just the same way as the bearded bloke will get hauled in by the police if any of his reindeer are dicovered to be fallow or red deer ...

Another quote from the Act:

"horse” includes pony, mule, donkey or other equine animal;

Therefore Santa could shoe his deer, irrespective of breed, without breaking the law ;) OMG how outrageous!!

Last edited:
I used to do all my ponies feet and my mums 2 when we went through a stage of having huge difficulty in finding a farrier.I personally think I did a very good job of them. I have lost my rasp etc since:rolleyes: but have ordered a new one so I can do maintenance trims inbetween my EPs visits.

Depends how much growth there is but when I'm trimming it's usually just a case of levelling the heels and any uneven or excess wall underneath so everything is on a plane and then removing any flare from the walls. What most owner trimmers would never do is remove any live sole material.

newrider.com