Trimming your own horses hooves

The antics on this thread have made me smile:)

I've just started trimming my two horses, with my trimmers encouragement, she just advised me to be much braver an take a lot more off, as long as you know the basics, stucture of the hoof, basic technique etc. you're away.

Horses so far are sound and happy even my previously lamanitic mare. The other day I was trimming my geldings feet, there was an emergency and I had to go which meant leaving his hoof unbalanced, next day I come back to balance it up hoping no damage will have been done and they were perfectly balanced! The hoof is an amazing piece of engineering. If it can recover from a piece of rigid iron stuck to it when it is in it's contracted state (being held up when the shoe is nailed on) it can deal with people learning to trim it and making a few mistakes along the way ( within reason i.e don't rasp it back to a stub;))

When I'm teaching, I have a nice overhead that I put up at some point during most lectures. It says: "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" ;)

A VERY good idea. It used to be 'don't believe everything people tell you' and 'don't believe everything you read in the papers/hear on the radio'. Then it became 'don't believe everything you see or hear on television' and now it's moved on to what you say.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, eh?

If I told you that parcel post at Christmas time was delivered by a bearded bloke driving flying sledge pulled by reindeer to whom the force of gravity means nothing, I expect you'd believe that, too.

I know of some wonderful seafront property for sale at bargain prices in Arizona ...

That's who we get our Xmas pressies from! :eek: :p....don't we????

Any chance you could forward the details of the properties you have in mind, they sound lovely, wouldn't mind investing in one of those....do you think they's take a bridge in part ex.?

Have you not seen Superman? The original, not the remake. The ony thing that stopped the evil Lex Luther from bombing the San Andreas fault & creating just the type of properties you describe was our phonebox-loving friend. And it's all true, every word of it.

newrider.com