Trouble loading solo

HorseHelen

Sep 17, 2006
at the farm, near the zoo
Libby has always been a nightmare loader. It took me 7 hours to get her to load to go from market bosworth to Derby when we moved house

I had Mickey Gavin out and was able to get her into a 3.5t horse box

I've never had transport which has always been problematic

Now I'm lucky enough to have my own trailer

Trouble is I can't load her alone as need someone around to do the back bar so even now I'm not independent

I want to achieve self loading

Ideas please ....

Thank you

I'm sure you've tried but I'd probably start feeding in there daily so its routine and there is reward for standing patiently, and just start gradually start moving from being directly in front of him until you can do a lap of the trailer with out upsetting him then go for the breech bar :)

I will start practicing alone with feed etc
Problem is she just shoots back out ... Hanging a foot on the ramp like she knows
Should I feed her on there if she can still shoot back off? Confused

I would.
She will get the idea that its not a horrible place.
Just DON'T ever be tempted to hook her - THEN =put the butt bar up

Also if she is pushing on the butt bar when you want to take her out - don't open it til she
backs off it and moves forward- you don't want her to get the idea to fly out.

Reactions: HorseHelen
I'd be asking her to stay but not stopping her backing off, so she doesn't feel pressured, let her know what you want and that the food is there and let her choose to stay for it once her anxiety has dropped enough, it might take a couple of weeks daily work but slowly she should get less anxious. Sometimes they need to do the advance and retreat thing until they are sure its not horse eating ;)

I think the key to loading is timing and pressure/release. When the horse takes a step forward, or even just leans forward you should take all the pressure off. This is counter intuitive as it seems as though once the horse is moving forward you want to keep the forward momentum. But normally when a horse shoots back it's because he tried to move forward and was 'punished' for it with more pressure and so changes his mind and moves sharply into reverse instead. I saw this just a few days ago: an owner leading in, horse trying hard but needing time, being asked for too much and high tailing it backwards. The key really is not to make the horse feel the need to run back and that in turn is normally about making sure moving forwards is her idea and there is no pressure on her at all once she is thinking forward. With a horse with a long history of running back it's a good idea to lead them away before they run back. This helps them relax. I never bother with feeding in the trailer. If they are scared food won't help. If they aren't you don;t need it!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I'm using a pressure halter that I bought from Mickey Gavin and pressure/release is definitely the key ...

I don't think I'm quick enough to release the pressure and I'm not quick enough to reapply the pressure when she has resisted

The thing is now I just don't know where to go as she walks straight on but hangs either one hoof or two just off the trailer and when you ask her to step forward in that position she just shoots totally out

So should I back her off in that position even though it's not what I want (totally) or should I just let her stand

Fancy a trip to Derby? Lol

From what I remember there were two key things to Mark Rashid teaching a horse to load:
  • Don't accept the wrong answer - so if she goes up wrong or at the wrong speed, withdraw her and try again
  • Allow her to explore on her own. Bait the trailer with her favourite food, let her go in by herself. I was amazed how the horse did do that when he was allowed. It meant he got comfortable with the ramp banging and so on.

Leaving one hoof on 'safe' ground makes sense to horses. That final step is the hardest. So yes I'd ask for one hoof then back off, 2 hooves then back off, 3 then back off. 3 then wait for a while and back off. And never pull on the head when they are thinking or moving forward. The other day I was helping someone out. She had started off quite well and walked in half way on the first ask, but he would not put his back feet on the ramp. 10 minutes later he would not get within 20 yards of the ramp. I took over and he got back to where he was with her initially very quickly - to the watchers it just looked like he was calmly following me on with no bother. I let my ego get the better of me and asked for the 4th hoof too soon instead of backing away and giving him a little more time. The margin between (apparently) effortless success and abject failure is very small in horses and he reared, and shot back. Now he wouldn't get within 100 yards of the trailer!! I did then load him in the end but it was an object lesson in the importance of reading the horse and of timing. If unsure be MORE patient than less. Taking longer is fine as long as you are making progress, whereas one request/step too far sends the horse backward. Literally as well as figuratively !

I agree with what @KP nut just said. The only thing that Mark Rashid would insist on is that the horse came at least as close each time as he had the time before. Then wait until all is calm. Then turn away and re present.

Do you mean he is in but has one hoof on the ramp so you can't put the gate up.

Loading on your own in a trailer is hard as at some point you have to let go and put the back rail up.

If my boys did the one hoof thing I would allow to stand as they are. I always give the boy treats when he is on board before I go and do the rail. I would just allow to stand there for as long as he wants until he realises nothing is going to happen. Just stroking and chatting as they relax they will bring that foot in or you can start to ask for that extra step.

I use a nice long lead rope and once on I hold it while I nip under the other bar to get to the back rail. I don't go out the exit ramp as u like him to keep seeing me and hearing me. Once the rail is up the then tie him in.

I struggled at first but ginger now stands and I can go to the back and put the bar up. But like I said I stay in the trailer it's a two horse so easier.

Why too roomy? My girl travels better in an ifor 505 without partition than with, its meant for 16.2's and shes only 15.1 but prefers the extra space :)

newrider.com