v. v. scary video! Shod hooves in slow motion

Well, in the first video, where the horse is shod, you can see the shock and concussion as his foot hits the ground but in the 'barefoot horse' video, the frog absorbs all of the shock.

Hope that helps x

I see a problem with those videos, looking at it as a scientific experiment.

The barefoot and shod legs come from two different horses, they could have different actions when trotting. If the videos were from the same horse, one video shod and one video when barefoot (after a suitable time and a good trim, obviously) then it would have more credibility in my eyes. As it is it's just propaganda.

I see a problem with those videos, looking at it as a scientific experiment.

The barefoot and shod legs come from two different horses, they could have different actions when trotting. If the videos were from the same horse, one video shod and one video when barefoot (after a suitable time and a good trim, obviously) then it would have more credibility in my eyes. As it is it's just propaganda.

I would have to agree with this statement, not saying the videos have no merit but to get theit point across it would have to be the same horse.

I see no valid comparison - one is a heavily feathered horse trotting on concrete, and one is a blurry distance shot of ahorse trotting on sand. It looks like the feathers moving as the leg moves up and down - I dont see what they are trying to claim.

personally, if you look at the feathers of the second one (difficult as legs are black), you can see the legs "rippling" in the same way.

i'm not biased as i have one barefoot and one shod;)

don't agree with that as an experiment - i agree it has to be the same horse to have any validity. Saying that, i would love to have both mine barefoot - my older boy is and copes wonderfully- his feet are great, tried it with my youngster and he was crippled and that was just his backs off so unfortunately there isnt always the option to go barefoot if we want to ride them.

I'm sorry, those videos mean absolutely nothing. They're yet more propaganda issued by the obsessive barefoot brigade who want to show shoes and farriers as being the spawn of the devil :rolleyes: There's absolutely no scientific backup to show anything at all in those videos. It's like me posting a video of my wonkey legged horse trotting against something with wonderful conformation and claiming the difference is to do with shoes/ no shoes. Erm, no, it's due to wonky legs. Fact is, you just can't compare 2 horses who are completely different and claim that the difference in action is down to the one thing that it suits you to focus on.

It is known that a shod foot will suffer more concussion than unshod when trotting on a hard surface, but without looking at either an individual horse shod and unshod or a huge number of horses which will even out to a reasonable average, it's not possible to quantify that effect. And if you do quantify it, it doesn't suddenly mean that every horse can go barefoot anyway :rolleyes:

Thankfully most people - barefoot and non barefoot have far more sense than to fall for it :D

I'm sorry, those videos mean absolutely nothing. They're yet more propaganda issued by the obsessive barefoot brigade who want to show shoes and farriers as being the spawn of the devil :rolleyes: There's absolutely no scientific backup to show anything at all in those videos. It's like me posting a video of my wonkey legged horse trotting against something with wonderful conformation and claiming the difference is to do with shoes/ no shoes. Erm, no, it's due to wonky legs. Fact is, you just can't compare 2 horses who are completely different and claim that the difference in action is down to the one thing that it suits you to focus on.

It is known that a shod foot will suffer more concussion than unshod when trotting on a hard surface, but without looking at either an individual horse shod and unshod or a huge number of horses which will even out to a reasonable average, it's not possible to quantify that effect. And if you do quantify it, it doesn't suddenly mean that every horse can go barefoot anyway :rolleyes:

Thankfully most people - barefoot and non barefoot have far more sense than to fall for it :D

Ditto that!

I agree :) My TB has recently gone barefoot, as he is turned away. Fortunately, he has remained sound. Whether or not his feet cope with it when he comes back into work is another matter and I won't dismiss the idea of having him shod again if that's what my farrier and I feel is best for him.

Agree, too many variables, and the shod horse actually has a better heel first landing :D However there is a scientific basis to the point they're possibly trying to make, some proper research has been done which does back up the assertion that there is less concussion unshod, theres a bit about it at http://www.healthyhoof.com/articles/concussion.htm

I agree with everyone who says it is proof of nothing.

Some horses will trot with far, far more concussion, it is a very badly set up bit of propaganda.

I had a hunt around on you tube after watching those 2 clips. There are dozens of clips of barefoot/shod/hard surfaces/soft surfaces etc etc. Some you have to watch a few times to really see whats going on but in fact the difference in absorbtion of concussion is there. in favour of barefoot.

Someone somewhere is bound to have done a proper scientific study....... be nice to see that!

this is utterly ridiculous and laughable that people would make a decision about whether to have a horse shod or not (all of ours are shod my dad was in the bizz) based on an utterly useless video clip, that doesnt show anything in particular.

the 2 'relaxed' trots are completely different so there is no way anybody can make a comparison- the shod horse is going forward purposefully- the barefoot one is sloping along, and like already pointed out not landing as well as the shod one.

i still would rather have them shod like i would rather have them bitted and wearing tack, and be able to compete at what ever i like without double or triple checking rule books to discover that infact i cant if i go bitless, bridleless and hossless :rolleyes:

my opinion but this propaganda really bugs me and sends me into a rant about other things aswell :eek: *sorry*

I agree that the videos show nothing useful. Two different horses - they are going to have different action!

For what its worth my mare is barefoot and I'd always choose that option where a horse copes well. I wouldn't however, go through all sorts of problems and foot soreness and battle on regardless I'm afraid. I took shoes off another mare who was unable to go out due to infected mud fever. She was lame even just led a short way out of her box on even, non-stoney ground. I had her shoes put back on again (ducks and runs for cover).

newrider.com