v. v. scary video! Shod hooves in slow motion

Thats very interesting can you point to the study? who did it? are there other studies which dissagree? Well i guess there are SMB for a start.
Not off hand, but ask any vet or experienced horse person and they will tell you!

As for SMB - of course they have, they manufacture and sell the darn things!!! You can get "reseach" and "scientific evidence" on anything if you manipulate it enough!

I'm not saying SMB are all bad, but your post made it sound like anyone not using them was just plain useless and neglectful! I'm sorry but it is fact that heating up tendons/ligaments is bad and SMB are reknowned for being culprits of this!

Not off hand, but ask any vet or experienced horse person and they will tell you!

My friend the equine chiropractor who also part time lectures the subject at one of the big college in the states and the lameness expert at the big vet hospital in Newmarket who looked at his x-rays and scans haven’t mention it (Just to add boots were not used before the lamenes but have been since to aid recovery and reduce stress/loads since recovery).

I'm not saying SMB are all bad, but your post made it sound like anyone not using them was just plain useless and neglectful! I'm sorry but it is fact that heating up tendons/ligaments is bad and SMB are reknowned for being culprits of this!

I possibly didn’t word it well and maybe was being a bit cheeky but you can’t just look at one element in isolation imo.

I wanted to see a study because I can’t find one and I’d like to know how they explain why all the high stress sports like polo, dressage and reining use boots if they caused more problems than benefits and what exactly the problem the extra heat build up caused.

I also wanted to understand how they compared the temp of tendons/ligaments in horses/breeds in hot countries e.g. the middles east/ arabs with horses like Icelandics in cold countries. Do horses in hot countries have these same problems? Is it about breed origin? etc etc

Last edited:
OK fair enough - interesting topic. I would imagine that most "fast" sports use them more to prevent impact injuries than support? Otherwise more racehorses would run in them, which they don't (or do they??)

If you find anything for or against, I would actually be really interested too, as currently have my mare off with a ligament/tendon injury (self inflicted impact injury in the field!) and I have actually considered booting her up nowadays because of that in the field and to be ridden, however, my vet was against this, saying the advantages (ie protection from impact) outweighed the negatives in that no boot or bandage can "support" a tendon/ligament and the increased heat can cause more problems.

I do remember reading an article about it somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember where - will try to remember!!

The second major cause of equine tendon and ligament injury is over heating of the tendon material which in turn arises out of the dynamic loading experienced as a horse gallops. Recent research carried out by veterinary science institutions has concluded and published such conclusions which state that the heat generated within the superficial and deep digital flexor tendons and the suspensory and check ligaments of the horses lower leg during exercise is a significant factor in causing the onset of injury to this said anatomy. The studies show that the constant dynamic loading on these tendons and ligaments while the horse gallops causes an accumulation of heat that can reach 45° C. Collagen cells have viability only below a temperature of 42.5° C. Any temperature at or above 42.5° C will result in irreparable necrotic damage to the collagen cells of which the tendon tissue is comprised. By reducing this build-up of temperature in the tendon and ligament group while exercising, cell necrosis is reduced and consequently the risk of injury to this anatomy can be significantly reduced.

From http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1449497.html

Not all horses can be barefoot. Some get inflamed pedal bones which are shown up by MRI, dosn't show that on the video

The second major cause of equine tendon and ligament injury is over heating of the tendon material which in turn arises out of the dynamic loading experienced as a horse gallops. Recent research carried out by veterinary science institutions has concluded and published such conclusions which state that the heat generated within the superficial and deep digital flexor tendons and the suspensory and check ligaments of the horses lower leg during exercise is a significant factor in causing the onset of injury to this said anatomy. The studies show that the constant dynamic loading on these tendons and ligaments while the horse gallops causes an accumulation of heat that can reach 45° C. Collagen cells have viability only below a temperature of 42.5° C. Any temperature at or above 42.5° C will result in irreparable necrotic damage to the collagen cells of which the tendon tissue is comprised. By reducing this build-up of temperature in the tendon and ligament group while exercising, cell necrosis is reduced and consequently the risk of injury to this anatomy can be significantly reduced.

Very interesting thanks, but it doesn't make any sense to me, every horse in a very hot climate without boots is going to be over those temps 'resulting in irreparable necrotic damage to the collagen cells of which the tendon tissue is comprised.'

Horses in hot climates are more susceptable to injury?, how much more? is it breed specific? etc etc

How likely is a tendon injury? what percentage or tendon injurys are due to the second major cause?

Do damged collagen cells get replaced with new healthy cells ?

It just seems to create more questions than answers to me.

Would be nice to track down the study rather than references to a study, i have found another referance to a study but its marketing for vented boots.

Last edited:
Very interesting thanks, but it doesn't make any sense to me, every horse in a very hot climate without boots is going to be over those temps 'resulting in irreparable necrotic damage to the collagen cells of which the tendon tissue is comprised.'

Given the temperatures quoted of 42.5 and 45 deg C, the only equines who will be working "in a very hot climate without boots" will be the suffering donkeys, mules and ponies of Pakistani brick kilns, Egyptian rubbish dumps and Mexican markets. I don't suppose their owners are really worried about their equines' legs given their own daily struggle to survive ...

Have you ever spent much time in a REALLY hot climate?
I have spent most of my adult life in hot climates, both dry and humid, and can assure you that when daytime temperatures are up in the high 30's, riding is reserved for the cool of early morning and as dusk is falling.

During the heat of the day - when the temperature may well reach 40-plus degrees - horses are often offered fans and sprinklers, or else merely rest in whatever shade they can find or are provided with.

Horses in sporting and leisure use would rarely, if ever, be worked in temperatures over the low to mid 30's. Apart from anything else, it becomes uncomfortable for us humans.

Hence the problem of the ambient temperatures damaging the horse's legs does not arise. The equine body, although functioning most efficiently in cold or cool temperate climates rather than warm or hot ones, is able to cool itself efficiently if in normal health, given plenty of water and not burdened with an insulating hair/fur coat or too much fat.

Unfortunately boots of virtually any sort act as very efficient insulation indeed - and on an area of the body that does not naturally have or need much at all in the way of insulation in most equines. THAT is when the damage is done.

I do feel for people who need to protect their horse's legs from impact for a good reason - talk about the horns of a dilemma!

I can only speak from personal experieance, i have ridden in Mexico, Texas, Nevada and Colorado including under the mid day sun and thats not out of the ordinary.

I appreciate that boots do increase the heat, but what exactly is the damage done by this and can a horse galloping for say a mile be compaired to a horse doing small amounts of walk, trot and canter in a menage.

It also does not explain why so many horses use boots/bandages without problems, including many competition horse worth £££££s

What exactly is the damage? (Everyone says the build up of heat causes the damange but not one person has been able to say what sort of damage, other than the link posted by Odyssey which still doesn't really explain what it actually means in the real world), how much more likely is it to occur with boots? Does it depend on the type of work done? Obviously ambient temps play a part but how much? etc etc

I'm affraid i need details before i can make any judgement and sadly details are lacking at the moment, other than in my experience it has helped one of my horses and currently contines to do so, but thats not scientific.

Last edited:
we dont use tendon boots/bandages because they weaken tendons- the 'support' is counter productive and leads to them needing more support anyway.
if they need to wear boots then why not get shoes? i really dont see the point- if they cant cope going bare barefoot (without boots) then you should consider shoes your morals and pride should not get in the way.

a shoe fits miles better than a boot, because they are tailor made and altered, and if the shoe fits the purpose (for roadwork etc) then IMO thats what you should do instead of faffing with boots which dont fit properly or securely and are mass produced with complete hoof novices fitting them.

I my horses are shod, my cob loves to trot on the road with his shoes. He likes the sound of his movement. I'm sure he wouldn't enjoy doing it if it hurt him in anyway

My feelings too, my pair of shod driving ponies, ears pricked, bouncing along, the only pain being in my arms after an hour of holding back two very keen little people!

I can only speak from personal experieance, i have ridden in Mexico, Texas, Nevada and Colorado including under the mid day sun and thats not out of the ordinary.

I highly doubt that the temperatures in which you rode were in the region of the temperatures quoted at which damage began - ie the mid 40s - or theat the horses were doing fast work in boots. As I already mentioned, in the absence of physical prevention and physiological problems, the cooling mechanism of the horse's body - like that of all mammals - is remarkable.

I appreciate that boots do increase the heat, but what exactly is the damage done by this

It would seem to be - as quoted already - collagen breakdown, tissue damage etc. An enormous amount of damage can be done to the body when the temperature of it - or a part of it - rises above safe levels, which levels are very finely controlled. Hence the necessity for mammalian physiology to have efficient means of temperature control (in this context, cooling) and the advisability of not hindering this.

It also does not explain why so many horses use boots/bandages without problems, including many competition horse worth £££££s

No it doesn't, does it? And on that basis you might reckon that it is OK for you to smoke 60 a day.
We all know people who have smoked like a chimney since the age of 14 and who are now 84 and in perfect health ... some of the best scientific minds in the world have puzzled over that conundrum with no constructive result. It still does not make it advisable to smoke 60 - or even 40 or 20 or 10 - a day, though.

What exactly is the damage? (Everyone says the build up of heat causes the damange but not one person has been able to say what sort of damage, other than the link posted by Odyssey which still doesn't really explain what it actually means in the real world),

What part of "irrepairable necrotic damage to collagen" is not a clear explanation of what happens "in the real world"? Collagen is the main protein of connective tissue in animals. It is not just something that filmstars have injected to give themselves fish-lips.

Clearly if there is a build up of heat in the tendons of the leg during exercise, this heat needs to be able to dissipate in order to avoid the possibility of such damage. Equally clearly, covering of the areas where heat accumulates (unless possibly by a material specifically constructed as a more efficient dissipater of heat than that provided by nature) will hinder the dissipation of such heat. This is a simple fact understood by any O-level physics pupil.

I think the conclusion has to be that except in cases where it is essential to protect from impact damage, it is probably a good idea to avoid the use of leg boots, especially those made of insulating materials. If they do need to be used, they should be worn for as short a time as possible, and preferably not during fast work.

As for the use of "support" boots, well, do you really think that a few strips of neoprene and velcro can support half a ton or more of horse at full gallop ...?

I’m afraid we will have to disagree as to the temp in Mexico, Nevada, Texas and Colorado in the mid day at the height of summer, and if that added to the heat generated by work increases the temps to those mentioned.

And we will have also have to do the same with the statement about collagen breakdown, it does not give me enough information to make a decision about it’s effects in the real world,.

How much does it beak down?

How much of an effect does this break down effect function, How much more likely is an injury with such a break down?

Are the damaged cell replaced?

How long till they are replaced?

I would have though would be the most basic questions to answer before making a statement boots cause more damage than benefits.

We will also have to do the same again with respect to boots having the same effect on my horse when I ride in January at home in my ménage at 9.00pm in 0 digress with wind chill of even less compared to in the summer crossing over the road and galloping down the river bank at mid day in August.

If the information on this thread is enough to convince you boots are bad full stop, or they do more damage than good, that’s up to you, that certainly is not the case for me.

I would have thought that an O-level physics pupil, would know that the answer to almost every question is it depends, unless you simplify your answer or nail down the variables (Which are completly ignored in the information in this thread, beyond collagen cells are irepariably damaged beyond 42.5).

But your entitled to you opinion as much as I am to mine.

Last edited:
For the record, I'm not anti boots, but am not so keen on SMB, as I do feel they market their boots as all singing all dancing, absorbing concussion etc, but never mention the fact that they surely have to be one of the warmest boots on the market and don't breathe!

Its interesting to note that some of the boot companies are now bringing out boots with "air flow" features, so someone somewhere must have raised this issue or they would not put the time and money into producing these types of features.

Interesting topic though, as probably no black or white answer to it.

I’m afraid we will have to disagree as to the temp in Mexico, Nevada, Texas and Colorado in the mid day at the height of summer, and if that added to the heat generated by work increases the temps to those mentioned.

And we will have also have to do the same with the statement about collagen breakdown, it does not give me enough information to make a decision about it’s effects in the real world,.

How much does it beak down?

How much of an effect does this break down effect function, How much more likely is an injury with such a break down?

Are the damaged cell replaced?

How long till they are replaced?

I would have though would be the most basic questions to answer before making a statement boots cause more damage than benefits.

We will also have to do the same again with respect to boots having the same effect on my horse when I ride in January at home in my ménage at 9.00pm in 0 digress with wind chill of even less compared to in the summer crossing over the road and galloping down the river bank at mid day in August.

If the information on this thread is enough to convince you boots are bad full stop, or they do more damage than good, that’s up to you, that certainly is not the case for me.

I would have thought that an O-level physics pupil, would know that the answer to almost every question is it depends, unless you simplify your answer or nail down the variables (Which are completly ignored in the information in this thread, beyond collagen cells are irepariably damaged beyond 42.5).

But your entitled to you opinion as much as I am to mine.

I'm sorry, but IN MY OPINION there is nothing complex or even disputable about the fact that insulation prevents heat loss. As I said, anyone doing O level physics would be aware of this, as would anyone who has ever lived in a house and drawn the curtains. There is also nothing disputable about the fact that most boots are made of materials which are good insulators. Wrap one round your arm and feel the warmth!

Equally, there is no dispute about the fact that normal healthy mammals have excellent heat regulation mechanisms. This is one of the main reasons which enables mammals to function without damage in an incredibly wide range of temperatures. Insulation being inappropriately added (or removed, in the case of cold/wet climates) clearly reduces the efficiency of these mechanisms, and/or stresses the mechanism - sometimes to the point of failure, as can also happen in extreme temperatures when the heat regulation mechanism is overwhelmed.

The efficiency of the heat regulation mechanism is the reason why local "overheating" (from whatever cause) does not frequently cause immediately-detectable damage to the tissues. However, there is definitely the potential to cause long-term, lasting, and/or cumulative damage when highly-insulating materials hinder the normal mechanisms. Many "support boots" are made of highly-insulating materials such as neoprene, and advertise themselves on the premise that the very purpose of the boot is to keep the leg "warm and moist".

Whether or not damage will be caused by the heat produced is of course debatable. In many, perhaps even most, cases it will not - please remember the analogy of the smoker living to a ripe old age - but in some cases it is certainly likely that it will.

As already stated, some horses specifically require protection from external impact, and boots/bandages are indeed the only answer here.

But CAN non-rigid materials applied to a small fraction of the outside of the legactually - as stated on one particular boots' advertising - "protect(s) ... the entire musculo-skeletal system of the horse"?

Sorry, but reliance on boots for anything other than protection from external impact damage seems to me to be foolhardy - and it surely cannot be denied - especially bearing in mind that the horse is an animal much better adapted to cold/cool conditions than hot conditions - that wearing boots WILL increase the localised temperature of the legs. After all, in winter we humans, who are hot- rather than cold-climate adapted, like to wear boots t keep our legs and feet warm ...

Given that many of the claims made by the manufacturers of these boots seem to be exceedingly dramatic (viz protecting the horse's entire musculo-skeletal system) and that it is an undisputed fact that all types of mammalian collagen easily degrade when the heat-regulating mechanism has problems, personally I think that this type of boots are best avoided if at all possible.

Gelatine is collagen which has been completely denatured at a temperature of 75 deg C or over. At lower temperatures, but still above normal body temperatures, modification rather than denaturisation occurs in the form of shrinkage. This has been recognised for many years and in fact thermal modification is used routinely in the treatment of joint instabilities in human medicine, with collagen being heated by radio frequency probes under local anaesthetic to a very specific temperature which produces a shrinkage of 30%. The amount of collagen heated is fine-tuned at the time of treatment to adjust the shrinkage produced. During the healing period after the treatment, the thermally-modified collagen is very vulnerable indeed to being re-stretched to an even greater degree than before.

Now I will grant you that local heating produced by the horse wearing boots will not approach the degree of heating used in joint therapy.

However, it would not take much to raise the temperature under an insulating boot to a degree sufficient to cause damage, should there be any glitch, for whatever reason, in the horse's localised heat regulation mechanism.

Add to this the important fact that the horse's legs are ideally constructed for efficiency in the cold, and not in heat, leads me to be deeply suspicious about the usefulness or otherwise of most types of boots,never mind some of the outlandish claims made for them and already mentioned.

As you say, we are both entitled to our opinions.

I am very pro barefoot. I tried it for 12 months with my mare but due to various issues I had to re-shoe her. Since re-shoeing her I have noticed how heavy she is on all her shoes. They get worn down very thin after 8 weeks and she always had road nails to stop her slipping as they wear to shiney. I believe because she is so heavy on her feet thats why she was a bit off without shoes, she was just wearing the foot down to much even though her EP said her feet were great.

I'm sorry, but IN MY OPINION there is nothing complex or even disputable about the fact that insulation prevents heat loss. As I said, anyone doing O level physics would be aware of this, as would anyone who has ever lived in a house and drawn the curtains. There is also nothing disputable about the fact that most boots are made of materials which are good insulators. Wrap one round your arm and feel the warmth!

No one is denying boots insulate and increase temps, what is in dispute is that the use of boots will always raise temps to a point where collagen breaks down or significantly increases the risk of injury, no matter what the ambient temp is or the type and duration of work.

Having used the worst offenders for over a year I can assure you the temp of the leg under the boot in winter is very different to that in summer.

I personally can’t see how anyone would use such sweeping statements ‘boots are better avoided’ or ‘boots they do more damage than good’.

The only scientific information found on this thread relates to heat built up in gallop, but without knowing the ambient temp or how long you need to gallop to build up to over 42.5 degrees it means very little.

If I only canter will I never get up to those temps?

If I only gallop when its 10 degrees lower than the ambient temp the study was performed in (Which isn’t specified) I won’t get up to those temps.

Etc, etc

There are so many questions which are unanswered which are vital for context and therefore how relevant the statement is in a real world situation.

Equally, there is no dispute about the fact that normal healthy mammals have excellent heat regulation mechanisms. This is one of the main reasons which enables mammals to function without damage in an incredibly wide range of temperatures. Insulation being inappropriately added (or removed, in the case of cold/wet climates) clearly reduces the efficiency of these mechanisms, and/or stresses the mechanism - sometimes to the point of failure, as can also happen in extreme temperatures when the heat regulation mechanism is overwhelmed.

It’s equally true that horses did not evolve to carry the addition weight of a rider and when they do, they put additional strain/wear and tear on the joints, muscles etc.

If a boot can help reduce loads and in part offsets the additional weight of a rider without causing other problems e.g. impacting collagen then I personally feel I need to consider them especially in a horse with a weak leg.

But CAN non-rigid materials applied to a small fraction of the outside of the leg actually - as stated on one particular boots' advertising - "protect(s) ... the entire musculo-skeletal system of the horse"?

If a boot is proven to absorb energy from hoof concussion is that not reducing the strain/wear and tear on the musculo-skeletal system of the horse even if it’s only a small amount? And so protecting it in some small part? (But 26% is not a small amount)

Sorry, but reliance on boots for anything other than protection from external impact damage seems to me to be foolhardy - and it surely cannot be denied - especially bearing in mind that the horse is an animal much better adapted to cold/cool conditions than hot conditions - that wearing boots WILL increase the localised temperature of the legs. After all, in winter we humans, who are hot- rather than cold-climate adapted, like to wear boots t keep our legs and feet warm ...

Not if they can absorb energy from hoof concussion by 26% and not increase the temp to a point where it does indeed damage the horse or make an injury more likely be that collagen breakdown or whatever.

I would say it was fool hardy not to absorb energy from hoof concussion and reduce wear and tear on the joints/muscles.

But I don’t think we are going to agree.

newrider.com