Vaccinations..UPDATE

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
The vet came out yesterday to vaccine the boys. I also decided to get Marley's blood taken for cushings test and also a full blood works..I just have a niggling feeling something isn't right?? Anyways both were excellent in getting their jabs and bloods taken but this morning when I was bringing them in Marley was standing at the gate looking very unhappy. Head was low and he just wasn't his usual cocky self. I brought him and noticed he was stiff in the neck and didn't want to bend it around to the left even for a carrot :eek: he will do anything for food. He got his injections on the left. Do you think he is maybe just sore from the jabs or is it coincidence and maybe he has hurt himself in the field??
He has always been alright after his jab in previous years.
Sorry I know no one can help but I was just wondering if anyone has had a horse that is stiff or sore after jabs have left him in the stable so hopefully he will have his usual lie down and feel better later . Rummy on the other hand is right as rain and very sprightly this morning.:rolleyes:

YES !! My Storm once was sooll stiff and sore after being vaccinated. She struggled to bend to eat. I was watching her and wondering why she was not doing her usual power eating when turned out!!! Rang the vet and he said she must have been feeling stiff and sore after her jabs. It lasted about a day I think.

Reactions: joellie
Just wanted to add - she's been fine since, no reaction this year or last time. Hopefully just a one off for yours too. Lots of soothing vibes.

I had some blood taken this morning and feel stiff and sore and knackered now so I know just how Marley feels!

Yes Raf did the same with his first injection after I got him. He couldn't (or wouldn't) eat because he didn't want to bend his neck, he just stood in his stable with his head in the corner looking very miserable. He is the kind of horse who if he is ill, he is very ill - typical man really. It took a few days to wear off completely.

Hope poor Marley is feeling better soon.

There is def the side effect of stiffness etc after jabs, but somewhere in my memory banks I have a vague recollection that PPID horses are more prone to this.

There is def the side effect of stiffness etc after jabs, but somewhere in my memory banks I have a vague recollection that PPID horses are more prone to this.

Oh really...I am so hoping his bloods come back ok and that my niggling feeling is completely wrong. He is only 12 years old but I know that doesn't matter. It makes no difference as to the way I feed etc as he is fed as for a good doer and him and Rummy get the same feed, Rummy has cushings. but for his future health and well being of course I pray he is not.
@squidsin I hope your feeling back to normal soon

Marley's blood test results came back, his full test was all good but his cushings came back postive :( I have mixed feelings, even though I had a niggling feeling that something wasn't right I am still a bit shocked and upset that he has cushings he is only 12 years old and I know even younger horses have been diagnosed with it but I am still upset.

His levels were 76 and we are starting him on one tablet a day.

Oh yes I know they can get it young, but 12 does seem rather young. Maybe with treatment you will be able to lower his dose? Chloe's went up over a four year period but she is almosr thirty so to be expected.

Oh yes I know they can get it young, but 12 does seem rather young. Maybe with treatment you will be able to lower his dose? Chloe's went up over a four year period but she is almosr thirty so to be expected.

Yes I am hoping that when he is retested in 6 weeks times we maybe able to lower his dose? My wee one is 33 years old and has cushings, he is on one tablet a day and he seems happy and well in himself, but he is a fully retired gentleman now so I don't know what way to handle Marley ridden wise?? He has been a lazy bugger some days and then on form others but I am ashamed to say that I did push him on a bit a times as I thought he was just pissing about as he is very opinionated and can be nappy if allowed. Now I am going to be torn if he is just being lethargic because of the cushings or if he is trying it on when he is lazy or sluggish. I rode him last night and he was in fab form the best in a long time he even gave a wee excited buck when I asked for canter :)

The other thing which is a bit of a shock is when I went to buy the pergolide which is what I always get from them for my wee man they told me they can no longer get it and I now have to buy Prascend and as we all know it is a lot more expensive, so now not only do i have the increase in price per month for the tablets but I also have to provide for 2 horses instead of one :( but I would pay triple the amount if it keeps them both well.

Yep they can take a reaction, just like you getting Tet arm after your tetanus booster :)

Usually goes away in a few days if not then I'd get th vet back out.

Kia took a bad reaction when I bought him to his micro chip, he ended up with a bad access in his neck and loads of anitBs but the vet wasn't used to micro chipping and stabbed him three times before getting the chip in. He's been murder to jab ever since.

Marley's blood test results came back, his full test was all good but his cushings came back postive :( I have mixed feelings, even though I had a niggling feeling that something wasn't right I am still a bit shocked and upset that he has cushings he is only 12 years old and I know even younger horses have been diagnosed with it but I am still upset.

His levels were 76 and we are starting him on one tablet a day.

Kia's were 600 at his second test his first was 385 so don't panic looks like yours is relatively mild. He wasn't showing any symptoms other than the mild fitting when standing about and lethargy. He should be on 2mg a day but he can't tolerate it but he's fine on 1mg. He gets chasteberry in winter in his feed as well to help :)

I felt dejected to about it. My friends TB had levels of 900 at 14 and I've heard of horses having it from 6yrs old.

Kia's were 600 at his second test his first was 385 so don't panic looks like yours is relatively mild. He wasn't showing any symptoms other than the mild fitting when standing about and lethargy. He should be on 2mg a day but he can't tolerate it but he's fine on 1mg. He gets chasteberry in winter in his feed as well to help :)

I felt dejected to about it. My friends TB had levels of 900 at 14 and I've heard of horses having it from 6yrs old.

Yes I think we have got him very early on, me wee old man was the same as Kia, very high!! when he was first tested and he is doing very well on the tablets so hopefully Marley will be too.

Yes I remember how you felt when Kia was first diagnosed. I had a nagging feeling with Marley that's why I got him tested but I still am a bit shocked that he has cushings .

Reactions: MrC
Raf's levels were about the same as Marley's when he was first diagnosed - he was 9. We didn't expect him to be positive for Cushings either - the vet did a full blood screen expecting to see evidence of a virus and only did the Cushings test because it was in those months when it is free. We started Raf on just half a tablet but he had a very bad reaction and had to come off for a break and then restart on a quarter tablet daily and gradually build up to half. When he was retested after a year they kept him on half but I had him tested again after another 6 months or so because he wasn't eating and his levels had risen again so he was put up to 1 tablet. I was very like you at first though - didn't know how much slack I should cut him when he appeared to be 'lazy' in case he really didn't feel well. Having suffered from anaemia myself in the past I know what it's like to be physically unable to 'gee yourself up'. If we're doing something he wants to do though, he can find plenty of energy and he's looking quite good at the moment so I'm trying not to be too soft. I hope eventually I'll learn the difference between a genuine 'off' spell and trying to get out of work.

Out of interest, what do you pay for Prascend? I think mine works out about £1.30 a tablet and I'm going to see whether it would be worth getting it on prescription next time.

Fingers crossed that Marley responds well and feels much better in himself.

@Bodshi Thanks for the reply, Raf was young when he was diagnosed. Yes my wee man Rummy went of his food when he first started the tablets but he has been on Pergolide and now I am having to get Prascend plus it will now be for 2 of them instead of just the wee man. The pergolide was costing me only 86p a tablet but the Prascend is costing me £1.40 a tablet!! I have seen them online for as little as 98p a tablet you just need to get a prescription of your vet. The boss man vet is away this week at my vets so I am going to wait til he gets back and see if I can get them any cheaper from him if not I may just get a prescription of him and get them online but I don't know how much my vets charge to write out a prescription :rolleyes:

Yes I too have had anemia in the past during one of my pregnancies so I know how it feels to barely have the energy to drag one foot in front of the other but I will have to be careful and try to work out when he is tired or just trying to get out of work;)

Reactions: Bodshi and MrC
@joellie

You can ask your vet to price match before you get a prescription. My vets are 1.12 per tab and me ordering after prescription costs and delivery costs was 1.10. If you point this out to them they generally will match as hey are getting it cheaper than 98p per tab ;)

newrider.com