Volunteering for local RDA centre

Deana

Nov 1, 2006
uk
Hi,

I am seriously considering volunteering for my local RDA centre when my youngest starts school full time on 17th Sept.

I am having riding lesson, but consider myself a complete beginner at riding still and have never owned a horse (unfortunely).

For those of you who have assocaitions with RDA centres do you think I will be of any use to them. I am very willing to help in any way that I am suitable during school hours maybe once or twice a week.

Also is any training needed usually done the centre itself and what does it usually involve?

I think you will definately be of use! You don't need to know how to ride or look after a horse to volunteer for the RDA, and any training you need will be given to you at the centre. I'd really recommend going for it, I've been a volunteer for 5 years, and enjoy it so much :D

Thank you for reply:)

I think I will give them a call tomorrow.

It is something I thought about for a long time, but I didn't have the time.

Yes riding centres that do RDA always find use for volunteers and I think that it is a very nice thing to do, you normally just have to fill out a form and that is it you don't generally need any training but if something changes the centre will inform you and organise it for you!!:D

I've just spent most of today sneaking phonecalls to local RDA groups. Think i've found somewhere that will take me on Wednesday mornings - just got to square it with my boss, but she's been acting funny all day. I'm just so bored here sometimes. I started a thread a while back about "my purse or my sanity". Reached the point where i must try to do something different, just feels like i'm slogging for no reason. Rant over!

Sorry for hijacking this thread...ooops!

Thanks Deana, and good luck with your volunteering efforts too - let me know how it goes!

I've just broached subject with boss. She said that as long as i wasn't deserting her completely on a wednesday then i could have the morning to do rda. It would free up some money for the others in the group to extend the project we're doing on weds. She appreciates it's a very boring day!! Our office is closed to the public and tbh i feel a bit blackmailed into doing this project. I know it's extra money but............

Really hoping this works out - have had some bad volunteering experiences in the past including one whole day at a horse sanctury which blatantly didn't want me there humph! On a positive note, most of the volunteering i've done before, LOADS but not horsey, has been fine so i'm going to keep optimistic!!

I have heard back from the RDA. I am going to help on Thursday and Friday mornings. They are going to arrange a visit so I can meet the helpers and horses.

That's great! Glad you've got something sorted out! Looking forward to my phonecall to arrange visits etc. Can't believe i was so brave yesterday and made all those calls yay! Let us know how it goes so we can compare notes :) Good luck & have fun :D

Last edited:
Will certainly let you know:)

Hopefully I will hear about my visit soon, although i can imagine they are very busy.

They don't start riding again until 6th Sept, but I can't help much until week of 17th Sept as youngest isn't full time until then.

I have heard back from my local RDa. I am going up on the 6th September to meet the horses and other helpers. The manager said she will give me helper information etc then aswell. I will observe a lesson aswell, although i won't be able to stay the whole lesson this time as i have to get back to pick my youngest up.

Really looking forward o it.

Have you heard anything Abserd?

newrider.com