Volunteering with RDA?

izzy18

Aug 21, 2004
Up North!
Visit site
Does anyone on NR volunteer for the RDA? I work full-time, but have been thinking about asking if my local RDA needs volunteers at the weekends.
I've been riding for a couple of years or so, but have never owned a horse. Are there horsey things I could help out with and how regularly do you have to volunteer? I'd struggle to help out every weekend, but could probably do a few hours every other weekend or so.
When I was at school (more years ago than I care to remember!) I helped out the local RDA a few times by leading the horses around the school. Only got to go three or four times though as there were so many of us wanting to get involved, we were only rota'd on occasionally!! :D

i used to help at the driving for the disable, until it got too much as it was too far away for mum to drive. i used to go from 12 till 6 ish depending on how dark it was obviously winter we finished much earlier

i used to fill the nets for the week , clean the troughs groom the ponies (there was only 3) get them tacked and ready for driving, when there was a disabled client that booked assisted with that.

if there was no disable we either rode longreined or drove to exercise them, i did this every weekend unless i was unable to get there

it was hard at times but i learnt an awfull lot and has helped me now

hope this helps

ide ask around im sure theyd be greatful

Hey, I'm a group instructor and trustee for my RDA group, and have been volunteering for about 5 years. I started out mainly helping with the horsey side of things, grooming and tacking up the ponies before lessons, mucking out, untacking ponies etc. I then started leading and sidewalking, and after about a year was convinced to start training as an instructor! Now when i'm at home at uni I usually teach every weekend along with the other instructors, and absolutely love it.

As to how regularly you have to volunteer, I think any group would be happy with any amount of help you could give, as so many are rather short on helpers. If you go to www.RDA.org.uk you can get hold of a contact number for your local group, I'd give them a ring and let them know your situation and they'll let you know if you can help. It's definately a worthwhile thing to do, and you get to meet some amazing young (and older!) people who are extremely dedicated in their riding.

Let me know if you want any further information on how groups work etc.

Jess xxx

I'll second what Jess/8-legged-pony has to say as I've been volunteering with the RDA for 5yrs also. We got involved with the RDA together so my story is pretty much the same as hers, and I'm an instructor and trustee too.

I also work with an RDA group in Brighton where I'm at uni, and they are very understanding of my other time commitments. That group rides on a wendesday afternoon, which means whenever I have a placement from uni I can't get there. This biggest issue for all groups in my experience is being clear about when you can make it, and sticking to it.

Planning to only attend every other week is fine, being expected every week and just not showing up can be a real hassle as the instructor can be left insufficient helpers. It's horrible as an instructor when you have someone waiting to ride and you can't let then because you don't have enough people to lead/sidewalk the horse. If people let you know they aren't coming you can plan for it, and turning up unexpectedly is always a bonus!

I would say go for it, get in touch with a group and see what their needs are. Most groups are very open and welcoming to all helpers and will appreciate anything you can do for them.

Karen xx

Thanks everyone! I'd really like to get involved. I'm just about to move house :eek: , so as soon as we're settled, I'll give my local group a call and see if I can join them. Will keep you posted!
Izzy
x

I used to help at the RDA when I was about 13 (i think) it was really good there, and I loved it, the funny thing was it was just after I got my Fell pony, who the RDA has had on loan and expelled for being naughty.. :rolleyes:

I only used to do it on a Sunday though as I had my own horsey to look after.

The company I work for allows me to spend half a day a month volunteering, which I do with my local RDA group. The group are grateful for any time I can spend with them, even though I can't go every week. I also help out with weekend shows and events in the summer, which is great fun.

I help every monday at the RDA then i am one of the "able bodied" riders at the weekend. I also am starting to Parelli one of the new horses to help him settle in. I am a full time student and full time horse owner so its difficult to fit in but it is so rewarding, we have a lack of helpers down here so we alwas appreciate an extra pair of hands. :)

Last edited:
hey! i've been volunteering at rda since i was 14 so for 4 yrs now and i am a level 0 coach just started level 1, i love it so much and i have gotten so much out of it, i got most of the jobs i have because of the Young volunteer of the year award i got form rda and cos i'm a coach :) If anyone is near the Carine Australia group then there very welcome to help as were running out of horsey helpers :eek:

:D

I help out once a week at Vauxhall City Farm - really good experience! It's v rewarding to see the difference that it makes to the riders, and I love being able to go to a yard 10 mins away from work (in deepest darkest central London:( )

Go fo it:D

hey! i'm a level o coach at our rda, i love it...i started with just leading but their is heaps of work to be done and anyone with horse expirience is welcome, saddling, leading, riding(sometimes depends on th horses and center but at mine we have lots of our helpers ride because the horses need the work and dont get it from the disabled riders when they just walk) grooming and heaps more, there's also tack cleaning and mucking out hehe so i'm sure they'd love you for a few hours, at my center helpers just come when they like but most have a few lessons they always come for as the know the riders well hope that helps

I thought about volunteering with the RDA at weekends in London - I think there is a group at Wormwood Scrubbs but I left lots of messages on the lady who is meant to organise its voicemail and never heard back. If anyone has a contact for that group, that would be great!

I used to help out at an RDA orientated school in our area. I had to do the usual yard duties plus lead and sidewalk for the RDA lessons. The YO is a Senior RDA instructor and gives lessons which are tailored to the riders particular problems rather than riding as a group.

It was a great experience and I only stopped because I just didn't have the time anymore. I still go in when I can but I do miss doing it regularly.

i volunteered at my local therapeutic riding center for 6 years 6 days a week it was great fun and i enjoyed it very much.

I'd love to volunteer with an RDA group. I keep thinking the people there would understand if i can't lift or carry for long or take time mucking out etc because of my wrists. I know there are at least 3 RDA schools and a Donkey therapy centre in the surrounding area but they would all involve a longish drive and though i've an automatic car, it would be tiring for me. Feel a bit frustrated about it all somtimes! However, did have a good hack today on Sugar and i did loop my crop around my wrist adn we had some great canters hurrah! Felt old back at the RS with all the young girls running around, just kind of out of place. I so wanted to do what they are doing now, when i was their age, but couldn't. Make any sense? Anyway, thanks for listening to my ramble that has gone slightly askew!!

I'd love to volunteer with an RDA group. I keep thinking the people there would understand if i can't lift or carry for long or take time mucking out etc because of my wrists. they should undersdtand just fine but usually volunteering requires some physical strength espesially in your wrists and arms helping to support the riders on the horse

I volunteered for 2 years or so with the local RDA in West Sussex. I had the honour is seeing one of the most inspirational people I have ever met at work there. She has been an instructor for years and helps the children achieve so much it's wonderous.Helping the RDA has been one of the most rewarding and fulfilling experiences of my life so far and I was heartbroken when work commitments meant that I was no longer able to assist. If you find yourself in the position of being able to help I would recommend it.

As a kid I worked for the RDA riding school and the riding school where I learned to ride as they were opposite one another. I was there before and after school and all weekend. Mucking out, feeding, turning out/ bringing in, rugging, tacking up, leading in hand during lessons, running round like a lunatic during competitions... everything, and it was a lot of fun as well as hard work. And working with the RDA is so rewarding because you know the kids really love it, they're not just spoiled brats forced to be there cause rich mummy and daddy think they should have 'a hobby', the riding really brings them out of themselves and watching the way horses react to someone less abled is fascinating. :D The best thing to do is to get yourself down there and ask if they need help. Good luck and have fun!

newrider.com