Volunteering

chocchick

Hi, could you advise me or direct me to the relevent thread on how to volunteer. I'm interested in volunteering/helping in the Sheffield area. I've looked at the RDA website but there is no S Yorks chairman to contact and I can't register to find more information due to an error, or register my interest as the page is under maintenance.

I would like to help with horses if possible. A friend took her daughter recently and it got me wondering if I could volunteer. I'm temping for the NHS and enjoy helping patients. I rode for years when younger and relatively recently took it up again but have not been able to afford lessons for around 2 years. I have basic horsecare skills grooming/tack although lacking in confidence.
I have depression/anxiety and it looks really rewarding to help, and I love being around horses and miss not riding. (My money is funding private treatment for my recovery!) I also have good admin skills so could possibly do admin if helping with riding is not an option.

Would have to be evenings or weekends as I work.

There was a thread here a week or two ago & someone mentioned an Rda teacher called Jane Hemmingway who is good at Rda. It might be worth doing a search. It could be.one m in Hemmingway, I can't remember nth

SUggest you try PM-ing a member on NR called Bay Mare. She's from that area, and I think has contact details for JAne Hemmingway. I've spoken to her once...a very forthright lady, and I imagine a no nonsense person. I haven't still got her details unfortunately. Sorry. :rolleyes:

Hi :)

Have pm'd you Jane's phone number. She tends to do one to one RDA lessons and tailors the lesson to the appropriate therapy for that particular person so she may work on physical issues with one person/child, learning the alphabet with another and even teaching Makaton to deaf children. She's excellent and, as Monty said, very forthright :) She takes adults and children with a range of disabilities including severe mental and physical disabilities. I really enjoyed helping out and it's great to see the changes that it can make :)

She's also a welfare inspector and has recently received an award for her welfare work. As one person said about her once "she's like horse muck, never off the road" which just about sums her up! She's totally dedicated to her work with horses, if dedication were rewarded financially she'd be a multibillionaire ... sadly she's not.

http://www.bhs.org.uk/Content/Ods-More.asp?id=13668&pg=Information&spg=News&area=9

You can also find her details under 'Glebe Field Riding Establishment':

http://www.bhs.org.uk/Content/Ods-More.asp?id=2214&pg=Approvals&spg=Information&area=6

newrider.com