Wasnt expecting that on my hack!!

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So took sox out for a hack before the physio came. Tacked up and sox had his reflective breast strap on. I had my hi viz hat band and 'Polite' tabard on. As we set off I heard noise from the school and was annoyed I forgot it was the local school fair on. Though we plodded on (litrally he was like a donkey!!) passed everything. Bikes, kids bouncing footballs, wheelchairs, buses, lorries, prams, cars with England flags on the side, people gardening, dogs. You get the idea :D. People actually thought he was a police horse! Sox bless him , good as gold, nothing got him.
Apart from when a bike very quietly came up on the inside on him. Sox shot forward. Though his mates gave him a right telling off! We had to cross a dual carriageway though it was 15 seconds if that. It was starting to get a little bit much for sox but he did very well and lucky we headed of now a quiet side street. However we was on our way Home! Home meant a marching sox! Rather than a donkey! :) So we marched along, had less then.. 5 minutes to go on our hack. Just had to get passed the school and straight up some more, then turn into the yard. I heard the music playing, so rather then get anxious. I started to sing a little. Sox didn't appear bothered! He just marched along. Then we were walking passed the banner for the school fair. I didn't bat a eyelid as he had been fine. A car was starting to overtake us and while wasn't very close it was about 2ft away I guess. Sox suddenly stopped seeing the banner, spooking. I went with him and before I knew it sox had turned, someone had screamed and soxs right shoulder had bumped the cars left passenger side door! Thank god he litrally bumped it! He didn't freak out OR of gallop off. The car on the other hand as soon as you heard the slight bump it sped off! I decided best thing was to stop ALL traffic while i got near the kirb again. I was on board shaking, voice trembling. Sox jus plodded on!!! Like nothing had happened!! As soon as I got back to the yard. I got off straight away and asked another livery for a much needed cig!!

Everyone deals with things differently. But I would have jumped off there and then to check my horse and ring the police to report it.

Blimey, you do need to report it though, they could cause you bother if they reported you causing damage to their car (tho I highly doubt it give they took off) but just in case. And report it through the bhs as well. Glad you're both OK.

If it was only a light bump I wonder if the driver even noticed it? Because if he didn't and all he did was carry on then I can't really see that he did much wrong - it was Sox that spooked into the car, not the driver hitting Sox, and if he'd been passing at much speed there would have been a proper blow that Sox wouldn't have just plodded away from without an injury.

Reactions: Cortrasna
@lauren123 I don't quite get how he bumped the left passenger door with his right shoulder when the car was overtaking you? Not really material to the story I know, but I'm trying to picture it & can't. Did he jump right out in front of the car? If he did then the driver must have been going pretty slowly to have missed you, if he hadn't been you'd have gone over the top of his car.

newrider.com