Share your views, thinking, thoughts on this pony, wwyd

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
_20240327_202107.JPG

It was going to be pts on welfare grounds. However it has now been given to someone with the view they might be able to help the leg.

They are 15 and the leg is locked stiff in that position, possibly cushings, chronic laminitic, distorted hoof capsule.

The page doesn't want anyone to query anything, so this is where I am sitting.
I feel it's fine/okay to give an animal a chance to improve/recover, a second chance. If you choose to take on an animal in this condition, you agree to do that.
But, in this instance the new owner is looking for people to fund its treatment. It's going to need xrays for a start.
That's the bit that doesn't sit well with me.
It wouldn't be acceptable imo for that pony to be in my care and then I ask forum members for cash to pay for vet costs.

If the right leg is locked/fused in that position and looking at the dreadful state of what's shown of the left hoof then I think pts would be the humane answer regardless of what funds were available.

There is also that question, when should you stop and when should you do the right thing.

A few farriers have commented that it's likely to need surgery to make any significant change. The fetlock joint appears fused and that's likely going to be degenerative.
Regardless of xray there might not be a good outcome.

For a person to take on that pony without the ability to fund treatment is irresponsible in my book. As if the person wants to be a hero and get other people to pay for it.

...Sorry, is that a bit harsh?

For a person to take on that pony without the ability to fund treatment is irresponsible in my book. As if the person wants to be a hero and get other people to pay for it.

...Sorry, is that a bit harsh?
I agree with you. Everyone is thinking this person is wonderful to take the pony on, but they aren't going to be paying for the treatment.

collage-1711574511229.jpg

The updated comment is she is walking on her toe as the joint is collapsing and partially dislocated.
I cant see a good ending for this pony.

I feel/felt much like you, I knew someone who ran a rescue and took on what I thought was a hopeless case, similar but not the same
IMG_9015.jpegIMG_9018.jpegIMG_9017.jpeg
IMG_9016.jpeg
I thought it was unkind to push the pony through treatment and they set up a go-fund-me, which didn’t sit right with me.

But I had to admit I was wrong very quickly and the end result was nothing short of miraculous!
IMG_9019.jpeg
I can’t find all the monthly X-ray pics, but she steadily improved
IMG_9014.jpeg
Believe it or not that is the same pony less than a year later, I don’t think she’ll ever work, but she’s so drastically improved.

So now I find I have to hold my piece, would I try myself, no, but I can’t hold it against others who want to try and those who want to fund it.

She looks like she was very young though, which makes a difference since a lot of joints etc aren't fully formed.. The pony in question is 15 and from the look of the other front hoof doesn't have a good front leg to stand on and the problem has been going on a long time.

Regardless of the situation it's irresponsible to re-home your pet to someone who doesn't have the funds to care for it and promote it's welfare.

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
@Jessey is that a young pony they look very bum high?

@MrA I doubt very much the previous owner knew this was going to happen.

If people want to try and help a pony and fund it, that is up to them.
However after years of laminitis, a professional advised the previous owner to put down on welfare grounds.
The vet can be wrong, it's not about being right or wrong, it's about what is the kindest thing for that animal.

Should we be able to decide what the kindest thing to do is for someone else's animal though? Without even doing basic things like meeting them, assessing quality of life and pain scores it near impossible to say what is kindest.

Reactions: Jessey
Since whatever we decide is irrelevant I don't think it matters. My belief, from dealing with laminitics, is that with that degree of change to the hoof on the leg which is taking most of the weight up front it's highly unlikely that there isn't a lot of pain no matter how well it's hidden.

She looks like she was very young though, which makes a difference since a lot of joints etc aren't fully formed.. The pony in question is 15 and from the look of the other front hoof doesn't have a good front leg to stand on and the problem has been going on a long time.
I do understand those points, she was young and had been dumped and older can be more challenging.

Should we be able to decide what the kindest thing to do is for someone else's animal though? Without even doing basic things like meeting them, assessing quality of life and pain scores it near impossible to say what is kindest.
Only in so much as it creates a topic for discussion.
If you say I am unable to make a decision because I haven't met them, that's saying you have no opinions at all on anything really.

My view is they've suffered enough. I am listening to others views though as that's why I started the thread.

I will be following the progress of this pony, so I can update on what eventually happens.

If you say I am unable to make a decision because I haven't met them, that's saying you have no opinions at all on anything really.
No I'm questioning if by reading about a case and seeing some photos you have enough knowledge of the situation to decide that they should pts.

No I'm questioning if by reading about a case and seeing some photos you have enough knowledge of the situation to decide that they should pts.
I have seen the video footage of them moving. So based on how deformed they are, I agree with the professional who said they should be.
If you don't feel they should be that's fine. What would you do to help them?

Today's update is they've been advised twice to put down, the new owner has now changed vets.

Xrays happen next week at they've almost raised all the funds.
To me, that doesn't sit well, you take on, you deal with it.

• Angry
Reactions: carthorse
I am a great believer in just because you can, does that mean you should?

Quality over quantity is a meaningful question to ask.

in this case my answer would be a huge amount of painkillers for a very short time and as good a 24 hours as you can provide. That horse is wrecked and I believe if they cant act like a horse moving around comfortably, then its the end of the road. If the fund raiser had been 'found this horse, bought it to get it out of an awful situation, need funds to pts' I would have understood, but treatment, of that type of deformity?, no. Not for me.

Horses on artifical limbs also make me cringe. You only have to listen to human amputees talk to know that is not an acceptable solution for horses with current technology no matter how much you want to 'save' them.

newrider.com