what are side reins??

side reins are training aids.
They are basically adjustable leather straps that you attach to the horses girth and to the bit..you have one on each side..it puts the horse into an outline and continous use is not a good idea.

They are mostly used for lunging..but yes you can ride with them too when in the arena.

If you continually use them to encourage your horse head to go down then there is a high chance that when it comes to riding without them your horse wont go into an outline....quite a few horses i know are ALWAYS ridden with them in lessons and if you try and ride them without then they constantly hold their heads up. So its best to try and avoid using them unless absolutely necessary ..maybe just once in a while.

You can only use them for general schooling...no jumping and certainly not on hacks

i use them for lunging only, mine are nylon with elasicated bits at the end, i don't ride with them on unless i am being lunged, i tend to attach them to my roller, rather than using then on a saddle, because you can get the right height.
i lunge once a week and use them once a week but they are not used on my horse to get her into the correct outline, she has a habbit of dragging her nose along the ground literally , so being on the forehand and then tripping, , if she hold her head at the right height the side reins go baggy, so i use them more as an encouragement to hold her head at the right height.

i forgot to say that they are not necessary made out of leather and they either have elasticed sides towards the bit or they have a rubber donut towards the bit

I'd never heard of them being used while the horse was being ridden. I sometimes use them when I lunge, I start with them at a length that accomodates the horses natural head carraige so it can work in a relaxed outline, as it steps under and seeks the bit I shorten them slightly so it can feel the inside/outside rein come into play. But I never fix them onto the bit, I thread them though the bit ring and onto the head collar side rings. Over all though I prefer 2 line lunging (long rein lunging) which I do in the same way (not off the bit) but you can use your inside/outside rein aids along with your voice commands and can work in straight lines, figures of eight, turns and halts.

I think used correctly/sympathically side riens are a good thing, they are sadly very often abused, restricting and contorting horses into an un-natural position. I can't see the point in riding in them, except on the lunge as the rider doesn't have the scope to communicate with horse fully, which isn't fair on either of them especially the horse.

Lesley

I've never seen anyone riding in them other than on the lunge, but I must admit I've lead quite a horsey sheltered life in that I've only been to 2 riding schools.

Do you mean that people ride off the lunge in them? If so why? Sorry to be all questions. Doesn't it interfere with the riders feel of the contact and the horses ability to seek the bit.

A couple of weeks ago my instructor was giving me a lesson on Breeze and picked me up once or twice for every now and then having a saggy outside rien. Breeze is still pretty wobbly and snakes about abit and I was finding it difficult to keep an even contact.

Anyway after the lesson Maggie (my instructor) got a thin rope, held her thumbs up in front of her with the rope wrapped around each thumb mimicking the horses mouth and asked me to drive her, using the contact I feel when I'm riding and aids for direction change and halt. I have always felt and been told I had kind hands and was disappointed when she said she felt a drag when walking forward which made my other aids disguised. We swapped places and she drove me, though I could feel her hands I had freedom to go forward her hands felt like helium filled balloons following me, when she gave an aid it was clear, and left me in no doubt about what she was asking, just a gentle tug and was instantly released. She then drove me in the contact I had driven her, I was horrified, the slight drag, which felt slightly restricting (though I had freedom to go forward I felt a bit contained) and though I could feel the aids they weren't as clear and give wasn't as noticable. Luckily Breeze has understood my muddy contact along with my wieght aids I'm glad I also have lessons on an older horse who only gives whats asked when asked correctly.

Riding in side riens must restrict the riders ability to give, especially if the horse has worked well and their reward is to stretch down and relieve tired muscles and chill out. It takes the partnership out of the relationship, instead of asking, educating and encouraging the horse its restricting, demanding and curbing freedom. My interpretation of dressage/schooling is for horse and rider to be partners, communication, willingingness and freedom to move in natural carraige and balance. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see the point in riding off the lunge in them.

Lesley

You see people mostly riding in side reins when they ride riding school horses.
Yes they ride off the lunge with them, i have had loads of lessons with side reins but that was in the beginning when i started up riding again and didnt have the umpf to ride the horse correctly forward and encrouage into a natural outline.
Whenever i watch a kids riding lesson most horses will have side reins on.
I actually dont know why they use them in lessons.
I know that for example my cousins horses holds his head up high when being ridden so to get him use to going into an outline you usually have to work him properly for 40mins -1 hr for him to accept the bit and track under himself properly. But with the side reins it's an instant effect and he works better and properly.
I rarely ride him in side reins, but if i do i usually warm him up well in walk and trot doing a bit of bending and then i attach the reins and work him with them for about 15-20mins and then i take them off and work him a bit more relaxed in walk and trot and then i cool him down.

it also allows people to control the horse better..in a way.

Also in shows they have the class where you have riding school kids all together int he arena and they all have to one by one trot round and then anter and do some circles...well all the kids have to have side reins on the horses for this class..
i fidn itstrange, and i dont see the benefit of it because when it comes to riding a hrose without side reins they wont know what to do to ride it effectively into a natural outline...and i dotn htink it benefits the horses much either. But all the riding school horses do go into a natural outline when been ridden by more experience people. They do behave more when they have the side reins on.

BUT i will ask my riding instructor on friday exactly why he uses them.

I've only seen them used at a couple of hacking establishments on horses used by children or the less experienced. I suppose they were to keep the horse in a working attitude, a bit tough on the horse as has already been said here.

I presume draw reins as opposed to side reins are the ones attached to a martingale(?) to hold a horses head in a supposed outline.

Last edited by a moderator:
i forgot to say that yann,

When the hroses have the sdie reins on they know its time to behave and work and 99% of the time they do...unless im riding them :D
it does make it easier for the children to ride with them. But then they dont know any better

Well I have to admit I've never seen them used like that before.

Yann, draw reins feed through the bit rings, down in between the horses front legs and thread through the girth. You hold them as you would double reins, the way they work is when you give rein pressure they pull the horses head down, alot of pressure puts the horse behind the bit, over bending and chin towards thier chest.

They are much stronger than a martingale, as they are through the bit, where martingales are either on the noseband or attached to the riens.

Lesley

One of my old farmer acquaintances used to say side reins were useful for clumsy youngsters because if they tripped they would jab themselves in the mouth and it made them much more careful. Another used to swear by them for kids' ponies, because he said the ponies didn't tank off with side reins on. And apparently it's bad luck to use anything but hemp baler twine - which just goes to show how long ago we're talking!

I would never ride in them myself because I think it's dangerous.

driving experiment

Lesley/Dizzy, I've just found this thread and I have to say your description of your instructor 'driving' you and vice versa made a big impression! What a brilliant experiment and a wonderful insight. Thank you.

I have very little experience of draw reins. An instructor I used to know once told me they're so severe you could make a horse sit down in them, which put me off for life. I do use side reins, but only on the lunge (but I've also heard of German riding schools making their inexperienced pupils ride with them, which sounds to me like a horrible thing to do when the horse has got to cope with an unbalanced rider). There are a lot of other aids that encourage the horse into a 'proper' outline, some for riding, some just for lunging, but I'm sceptical about them for a number of reasons. Lack of experience is one! Has anyone used any of them?

side reins

I have only ever seen side reins used in lunging and seat lessons. As to side reins on school horses... I can't say that I think this is a very good idea. It prevents the rider from being able to reward the horse with a long rein. I have seen school horses riding in Running Martingales. This type attaches to the reins with a ring that the reins are threaded through. That way when the horse really puts his head up the riders actions on the reins are reinforced by the martingale which give the rider leverage. It does not interfer in any other way with riding or jumping.

newrider.com