what are your irrational fears?

Horse related
I fear going too fast - but I know that what I consider is too fast is normal speed for XC so got to get to grips with it
I fear showing myself up when jumping - as mates at yard insist on trotting to a pole before the jump and asking for canter over the pole. I cannot do this.
I fear a message in the morning. I have had two mesages saying that our yard has been broken into. I fear one day that they may get Max

I fear that I am making a fool of myself by even having a pony at my grand age, and

I fear
that the time I spend supporting my 22yo RI when she events (her parents drive us) is seen as the actions of a stupid old woman

I fear being a stupid old woman living out a mid life crisis by having a pony...
Wow, sounds like the sort of amid life crisis to have! Go for it.
The ony person who might think you are stupid is you - I bet everyone else admires you (and envies too!).

I was riding ponies in my 40s - nowt like it. My Riley is a big pony - sure acts like one!

Ken

Trewsers if you get the feeling that you will be sick if you eat that is a major stress issue.

I did this at one stage in my life (young and newly promoted to a demanding job)and got told by company doctor it was a common warning sign and I was to take a break to de-stress!! I didn't of course as I was ambitious but it made me beat the problem using relaxation techniques.

It isn't always feeling that I will be sick, it is sort of hard to explain, but I feel as though I might "choke". Absolutely ridiculous when talked about in the cold light of day, and on my own with OH, but I honestly can't see a cure for it. We never eat out any longer, it used to be such a waste of money for one thing! When I'm really stressed I can't even manage to eat with OH. :frown:

Most things to do with horses after my accident. I have to consciously stop myself having a panic attack when I just sit on a horse. Moving up a gear to walk makes it worse, and then to trot even worse. I'm only ok with two horses at the moment and even then I'm fret going above a trot and forget to breath. I love horses and am very passionate about them but right now they put an almighty fear into me.

It's the loss of control I fear. Nothing specific like falling off, just not being in control or feeling in control at all times.

Last edited:
Irrational fears - balloons. Terrible phobia of them. Can't be near anybody who is touching one, let alone a child. I go all sweaty & panicky and have to leave the vicinity pretty damn prompto. I've even refused to work in our office & have shut myself away in a meeting room for 2 days (working, not rocking & mumbling to myself I hasten to add!) as the office next door had them everywhere as somebody was leaving. In the end my manager got so fed up with me not being around he went & burst them all :redface:

There are balloons all over our offices today :cry: :help:

It's E Day here at work (environmental day) to try & make us more green & conscious of effects on the environment so they've tried great big green balloons to the recycling bins EVERYWHERE.

Now, people may laugh. But if there were tanks of tarantulas, snakes, insects or other arachnids around people would kick up a fuss about not being able to relax properly at work. I feel stressed.

Oh dear Roxy. It is awful when something upsets you at work. I know if people were drinking coffee near paperclips - or if I was eating my lunch at my desk near staples etc, I'd not be happy. Sounds ridiculous to a lot of folk.

Wretched balloons......OH isn't keen on 'em, he hates the popping......

I hate riding on bitumen. I worry my horse will slip. And of course the old fear of a foot being caught in the stirrup. If Im having a nervous day I ride bareback I always feel safer. I'm weird!:redface:

Rats are my fear. I scream if I see one, and as there are a fair few at the farm, I always clap my hands when going into the barn. If I see one in a certain area, I find it extremely hard to return there.

There was one that shot out from underneath a cupboard in the lambing kitchen. I have to go in there every day, either to make milk for the tame lambs, or get water and I kick on the side of the wooden wall every day.

Sad aren't I!!!!

newrider.com