@carthorse I am really trying for this horse like no one else ever has! So it's going to take along time but instead of just shouting at me and telling me I need educating (which I know and is why I asked) them educate me don't shout I've been nothing but honest about him he's a very unpredictable horse hence the inconsistency as he is also very inconsistent some days he will be your perfect horse the others not!

If you have no/very poor brakes & no steering without a full cheek then I think you need to work on his schooling. Getting strong in some situations is one thing, but this sounds like you have very little control in any circumstances & that makes me think a bit change isn't the solution.

This. ^^ :)

Can I ask how his lateral flexion is? Are you able to flex him at all?

My pony is in a grackle and a gag. The grackle was because he learnt last year that if he opened his mouth and swung his jaw about like a lunatic, he could bog off with me up the field lol He's a lot better now and so consequently the grackle is not that tight in the school (it can easily go up a hole) and it only goes up a hole for hacking because he can get quite excited/naughty/strong when he's out. I have the gag because it helps with control out hacking but he goes lovely in it so I kept it for schooling too. I'm pleased with how he is in it and (yes for those that wonder, I do have soft hands, I don't see saw or yank unnecessarily) I can switch back to a snaffle if I wish and put it up a ring.

He's got very good lateral flexion as I put a lot of time and work into that also so in a situation where I need to stop, I can. Of course there's always the chance one day I may not be able to, who knows, horses are unpredictable but I am confident in the fact that he has good lateral flexion and I can disengage his hindquarters quickly if I need to.

Thankyou for your advice! I've lunged him a few times there and he took off once but hasn't done will try lunging him more Thankyou! And I'll try and find someone, an I have a section A that's 6 and him a sec C/D that's 10 sorry if my other post was missunderstood!
This. ^^ :)

Can I ask how his lateral flexion is? Are you able to flex him at all?
yeah he will flex on both reins but as you said with your horse he sometimes acts up and he learnt if he opens his mouth and throws his head he can go, I spend a lot of time working on flexion but sometimes when he goes I can turn him to try to disengage his hind but he still fights a lot with me, he is currently in a flash on loose so he knows it's there because I don't want to "close it shut" but want him to realise it's not okay, he dosent have it on in the school for schooling but does for jumping as he gets very excited

Reactions: SeeingSpots
is he in a martingale?

you know, i might be tempted to try and drop (& a running martingale) before anything else

Has anyone thought that his behaviour could be because he was rig for the best part of nine years?
You might actually be safer restarting him from scratch. What's been done before.

Your jumping! Forgive me here but if you have just brought this pony back into work he isn't fit enough. You only got him four weeks ago.
You are saying you have no control on the flat, he lacks schooling, you can't school in the field.
Why on earth have you jumped him.

Has anyone thought that his behaviour could be because he was rig for the best part of nine years?
You might actually be safer restarting him from scratch. What's been done before.

Your jumping! Forgive me here but if you have just brought this pony back into work he isn't fit enough. You only got him four weeks ago.
You are saying you have no control on the flat, he lacks schooling, you can't school in the field.

Hes been signed as gelding on his passport
And Because I did have control to start with when he was back in work- he was only jumped over a small height to see if he enjoyed it then now he's Getting stronger and stronger as he's getting fitter

He was castrated as a 1yr old

He was castrated as a 1yr old
This is what you said on another post
"I have a new 6 yr old 14'1 Section C, he has been out of work since July last year when he had an operation as he was a rig"

I can't offer help to those that change their story. I get confused.

I'm confused now.

Nobody is getting at you @ChloeAnWomble but the problem is, when you put a post up asking for advice, you get a very mixed bag. You're not going to agree with everything people say but just take into account what they are saying.

yeah he will flex on both reins but as you said with your horse he sometimes acts up and he learnt if he opens his mouth and throws his head he can go, I spend a lot of time working on flexion but sometimes when he goes I can turn him to try to disengage his hind but he still fights a lot with me, he is currently in a flash on loose so he knows it's there because I don't want to "close it shut" but want him to realise it's not okay, he dosent have it on in the school for schooling but does for jumping as he gets very excited

Yeah I get that. My horse will stop (or has up until now) every time if I ask him to flex.

If you have only had him for a few weeks and you're planning on bringing him back into work, I'd seriously consider going back to basics. I'm not on about starting him again necessarily but spend some time on the ground. Do basic groundwork with him and build up the trust and respect. If he doesn't respect you on the ground, he's not going to respect you in the saddle.

This is what you said on another post
"I have a new 6 yr old 14'1 Section C, he has been out of work since July last year when he had an operation as he was a rig"

I can't offer help to those that change their story. I get confused.
That post was from January 2016 a horse I had on full loan but proved to be too much for me at the time so I asked his owner to take him back as he bucked reared and bolted in the road with me when he was supposed to be calm plod of a horse when he was returned I just rode at lessons the brought my pony Sec A in November (who is now up for sale) and brought merlin (sec C/D 14h 10yr old) and I've rehomed a Gypsy cob Oli with me now who's 21 and hacks out

Last edited:
I'm confused now.

Nobody is getting at you @ChloeAnWomble but the problem is, when you put a post up asking for advice, you get a very mixed bag. You're not going to agree with everything people say but just take into account what they are saying.

Yeah I get that. My horse will stop (or has up until now) every time if I ask him to flex.

If you have only had him for a few weeks and you're planning on bringing him back into work, I'd seriously consider going back to basics. I'm not on about starting him again necessarily but spend some time on the ground. Do basic groundwork with him and build up the trust and respect. If he doesn't respect you on the ground, he's not going to respect you in the saddle.
That's what I've been doing getting him to do the simplest of things on the ground was difficult to start as he had no manners and I had to do everything with supervision as people genuinely thought he was a stallion I've worked really hard to get where I have and I'm getting there he will now stand back up and move away his hind from me from command and moving my hands to his side so I'm doing a lot of groundwork to try and get his trust in me and me to trust him I can now handle him alone but always make sure there's someone on site to hand if i need it

I've worked really hard to get where I have and I'm getting there he will now stand back up and move away his hind from me from command and moving my hands to his side so I'm doing a lot of groundwork to try and get his trust in me and me to trust him I can now handle him alone but always make sure there's someone on site to hand if i need it

That's so great! Have you thought about doing Natural Horsemanship or anything? My pony responded really great to that. :)

I think with the whole brakes thing though, I'd really think about what I want from him. Different bits serve different purposes and have multiple effects, not just brakes. A dutch gag bit for example has different rein options which makes it versatile to use one bit for a variety of situations, depending on how much control is required. The of this bit creates lift upwards in the mouth and a varying degree of leverage depending on the rein setting used but it's not advised for a horse that puts it's head up because of the raising action it has. There are so many bits, standard ones, Neue Schule, Myler, Bomber bits, you really need to do some research and find a bit that works for you both. Do you have a bit hire company near you?

I used to know a pony that would take off in a field no matter what bit it had in. It didn't care and nothing worked. She tried everything from dutch gag to pelham to different nosebands to different mouth pieces. Nothing worked. I often think if a horse or pony wants to go, you can't always stop that with bits and nosebands. She ended up just accepting the pony for what it was and dealing with it as best she can but I'm not suggesting you do that, just saying a bit might not be the answer. But then again it might.

It really sounds to me like the best solution would be lessons with a good instructor.
Putting a stronger bit in isn't solving the issue it is just covering it up and might not even do that if the horse has realised that no matter what bit you put in it is still stronger than you.

That's so great! Have you thought about doing Natural Horsemanship or anything? My pony responded really great to that. :)

I think with the whole brakes thing though, I'd really think about what I want from him. Different bits serve different purposes and have multiple effects, not just brakes. A dutch gag bit for example has different rein options which makes it versatile to use one bit for a variety of situations, depending on how much control is required. The of this bit creates lift upwards in the mouth and a varying degree of leverage depending on the rein setting used but it's not advised for a horse that puts it's head up because of the raising action it has. There are so many bits, standard ones, Neue Schule, Myler, Bomber bits, you really need to do some research and find a bit that works for you both. Do you have a bit hire company near you?

I used to know a pony that would take off in a field no matter what bit it had in. It didn't care and nothing worked. She tried everything from dutch gag to pelham to different nosebands to different mouth pieces. Nothing worked. I often think if a horse or pony wants to go, you can't always stop that with bits and nosebands. She ended up just accepting the pony for what it was and dealing with it as best she can but I'm not suggesting you do that, just saying a bit might not be the answer. But then again it might.
Thankyou, we've come a long way and he's had farrier today and been great with perfect manners pretty much, farrier was impressed as He was prepared for a challenge as he knew the situation I had been in with him but I'm still too nervous just incase to let other people handle him cause don't want anyone to do anything differently with him and put him back to step one if that makes sense?

He dosent tend to lift his head and if he's going to do anything the new trick is to throw it down so the lift may help, sadly we done have any bit banks near but I do have a lovely lady with a tack exchange who's helping me and has said if anything I want to try she has I can borrow it

That post was from January 2016 a horse I had on full loan but proved to be too much for me at the time so I asked his owner to take him back as he bucked reared and bolted in the road with me when he was supposed to be calm plod of a horse when he was returned I just rode at lessons the brought my pony Sec A in November (who is now up for sale) and brought merlin (sec C/D 14h 10yr old) and I've rehomed a Gypsy cob Oli with me now who's 21 and hacks out

Ah my mistake. My apologies. That post came up with the others at the bottom. :)

Sadly we done have any bit banks near but I do have a lovely lady with a tack exchange who's helping me and has said if anything I want to try she has I can borrow it
The bit bank is all done online. It doesn't matter where you are. :)
I opted for it because if a change didn't help. You have only hired it and can return.

newrider.com