What hoof boots to people use?

I had Boas for my old cob, they were for his hind feet - he didn't need them in front, just as well because nothing came up big enough for 8 inch wide front paws :eek: They were a PITA frankly, the traction on mud was rubbish (at one point he had an abcess hole in his foot so needed boots on mud), they were very easy to overtighten, they rubbed and they came off sometimes :rolleyes: But nothing else was big enough so I was stuck with them!

Mrs P has G2s all round, they are fine in front but they twist on her hind feet. This is probably because of her action. I bought them because we moved from a place where we did next to no roadwork to a yard where we were on the roads a lot, and her feet wore alarmingly although she wasn't footy. I haven't used them since last summer because she is more used to doing roadwork now and seems to be growing more/better foot :)

Here she is with the G2s on :)

booties.jpg

Twisted! Bah humbug :rolleyes:

hinds2-1.jpg

I do go for gallops across muddy flinty stubble fields so would need a boot not to fly off in those conditions - so far the Renegades have stayed on although a slice was grooved into them by the stones (previously posted about). I haven't had the need to remove them for different conditons, but I would if I thought it necessary.

Having seen the state of a hoof when an incorrectly-fitted boot was used, I am very wary of hoof-boots becoming a fashion item.

Interested to know which type of boot this was, and what damage resulted? :) On the second point I rather doubt hoof boots will ever become a fashion item!

I simply don't see the point of using boots on ground where one can travel at speeds which result in them 'flying off'.

That's fair enough, but it is possible to use them as a complete shoe replacement in which case they do have to be absolutely spot on in terms of fit and durability, and it can indeed take a few attempts to find the right one. My horses both regularly do lots of fast work in boots without any problem and we can't normally hack without crossing at least some bad ground. However there are limits, I wouldn't go hunting in them for example, if you need absolute confidence then there's still nothing better than a shoe on a solid hoof.

What would put me off is that if one fell off, they'd be away - I can't imagine a hunt hanging about while you faffed with a hoof boot! I have heard of someone hunting in G2s but that was with a bloodhound pack that have a non-jumping field, so they might not have jumped. I've jumped a few small xc jumps with my old cob wearing Boas behind, and one of Yann's horses with renegades behind & Easiboot somethings in front. Both times the hind boots came off, the Boas almost immediately, the Renegades after a few goes :eek:

I agree with Yann about hoof boots not becoming a fashion accessory - they are far too annoying for that to happen!

I agree with Yann about hoof boots not becoming a fashion accessory - they are far too annoying for that to happen!

Quite agree, I've just come back from a quick walk round the block (a few stony stretches) without her boots in the hope that it will help transition her fronts further. She was OK, but picked her way a bit. I'd much rather not have to wear boots if possible.

Is it the jumping that would not be suitable when hunting?

Not so much that but the severity of the ground conditions, up here cantering through heavy going at some point is almost inevitable, and even the best boots can't be guaranteed to cope with that on a sustained basis. As IM says losing one and having to stop and go back for it is not an option. People regularly lose shoes out hunting so it's not a unique problem.

Both times the hind boots came off, the Boas almost immediately, the Renegades after a few goes

Much as I prefer using the Renegades, G2's are far more reliable on her hinds on softer going:rolleyes:

If anyone finds the Old Macs twist although they look to fit well - they do inserts that go in either both or one side. I have used them before. For eg: if the nsf boot twists to the outside - put an insert to the outside to stop the movement !

Interested to know which type of boot this was, and what damage resulted?

Easyboots with the metal cleats - lots of blood and fairly long-term damage to the coronet...
Easyboots which had not been cut-down at the heels to fit appropriately and resulted in damage to the bulbs of the heel and a VERY lame pony ...
Boas not fitting accurately and then tightened too much resulting in a large bloody 'blister' just above the coronet ...
Old Macs where stones had got in unnoticed and rubbed small spots of the pastern absolutely raw ...

I follow my antipodean son-in-law's practice - which we humans almost always follow for ourselves! - of usually using socks inside boots for both myself AND my horses. Socks aid comfort, cleanliness and ease of fitting in adverse conditions. A clean pair are easily carried in one's pocket, too.

The metal cleats in easyboots are a major no no, I wouldn't use a boot with them in. Fortunately they're easy to cover or remove, I know many people used to flatten them with a hammer. The other issues can mostly be avoided by introducing the boots carefully and keeping a close eye on the horse.

I know every case is different but the only boot I've had occasional problems with stones getting in to is the Renegade, but Tess's seasonal grass flare means there isn't always a snug fit round the top.

Yann,
What have you got on your grips? Have you not got metal cleats on them? or did you have them with the upbuckle system or bare fitting system? would be interested to know!! thanks :)

The metal cleats in easyboots are a major no no, I wouldn't use a boot with them in. Fortunately they're easy to cover or remove, I know many people used to flatten them with a hammer. The other issues can mostly be avoided by introducing the boots carefully and keeping a close eye on the horse.

I know every case is different but the only boot I've had occasional problems with stones getting in to is the Renegade, but Tess's seasonal grass flare means there isn't always a snug fit round the top.

I'm sure I've seen Tess with a rather groady looking sock on too ;)

I agree and of course I know that and so do you - but not everyone is so aware, and some people believe advertising blurb to be the truth ...

I think the same could be said for a lot of horsey products unfortunately. We just have to hope that people exercise some common sense. Personally I've seen more damage done by an elastic bandage than a hoof boot :rolleyes:

Yann,
What have you got on your grips? Have you not got metal cleats on them? or did you have them with the upbuckle system or bare fitting system? would be interested to know!! thanks :)

Both my Grips and Converted Bares have the smooth tapers fitted to them, they all came that way. I think the Epic comes with a plastic cover over the cleats as standard these days too. The Grips have upbuckles on them, the bares have the old buckle system on as they're riveted in place and it's too much hassle to change them.

I'm sure I've seen Tess with a rather groady looking sock on too

That was for post abcess turnout in G2's, worked well but killed the socks in short order :D

newrider.com