what is this?

Nov 4, 2008
IMG-20160824-WA0004.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG-20160824-WA0002.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG-20160824-WA0000.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
My sharer said he was rolling a lot last night, he is fly sprayed everyday and no changes to field etc...could it be sweet itch? If so how come he has only got like this now as i thought it started spring? He is now in a full neck with belly flap fly rug with sudocream on the sores and double coated in fly spray

Thanks in advance for any advice

we have midges rife at the moment to the point I had to pop a rug on my mare the other day.

Ahh maybe! He has had rain scald before but not where it has bled it was just as if a layer of skin had peeled off..could rain scald like this be off only a few nights of rain as its been quite dry here other than last few days?
If it is rain scald is there anything i can do other than lightweight rug whenever it meant to rain?

Ahh maybe! He has had rain scald before but not where it has bled it was just as if a layer of skin had peeled off..could rain scald like this be off only a few nights of rain as its been quite dry here other than last few days?
If it is rain scald is there anything i can do other than lightweight rug whenever it meant to rain?
It's the wet and warmth that help it multiply, I think its the same organisms that cause mud fever but I could be wrong and I believe neem oil is good for it but never having had to deal with it I don't know, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will help out with an answer for you though.

Rain scald is caused by an organism that most people believe lives in the soil although this has not been proved. It enters the skin where there is damage and spreads from there or can be caught from other horses or even just humid, moist, wet conditions. It is highly contagious and you must keep all rugs, tack and grooming equipment used on the affected horse disinfected and away from other horses.

There are a few treatments available, you can ask your vet for what they recommend. It's usually a case of removing the scabs, treating the horse with an antiseptic scrub or if it's really bad antibiotics. Rugging will help keep the horse dry and aid healing. It's important to remember it is an infection not just a case of getting wet. The reason it's called that is because it thrives in moist places, which is why keeping the horse dry is important. Use a lightweight rug so they don't overheat and sweat.

Reactions: Cortrasna
It's the wet and warmth that help it multiply, I think its the same organisms that cause mud fever but I could be wrong and I believe neem oil is good for it but never having had to deal with it I don't know, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will help out with an answer for you though.

You can get neem shampoo which is effective too.

Rain scald, weather has been perfect for it. I would bath him with an anti dandruff shampoo then once that's rinsed off pop antiseptic in water and rinse then rinse that off, let dry then pop on some anti fungal ointment on the affected areas.

Covers all bases. It will remove the grease from the coat but that will replenish quickly and it's not exactly cold just now.

I was thinking about anti-fungal cream too as it thrives in heat and damp. Just be careful that shampoos may sting his broken skin. I think I'd be asking my vet about current treatment recommendations.

We always treated rain scald with hibi scrub, lather up, leave for 15 mins then rinse and dry and keep it dry and let air to it, the only issue with rugging now is if they get warm under it thats almost worse than a rain shower they can dry off from.
It could be ringworm, a slathering of canesten after the above won't make rainscald worse but will treat ringworm so you'll cover all bases :)
Before all that I'd check for lice, just as a precaution, hank got bald patches like that last winter and eventually I found lice, yuk!

I bow to others' views that it is rain scald, it is very much more severe than what I have seen on Mattie. Poor horse.

My (small animal but horsey) vet recommended athlete's foot spray for rain scald and it worked a treat on Mattie.

Reactions: domane
Thank you all who replied he is in a lightweight but if it is going to rain all day or all night i will bring him in to let air into it, it has literally shown up overnight as my sharer said she noticed a bald patch the size of a 2 pound coin on tuesday night but then wdnesday morning i found him like this, i think he had really been scratching it as he has just come out of his paddock (nowhere to itch as elec fencing) but in big field there are bushes, trees posts etc to itch away at...so he will be going back in paddock until healed

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com