What rugs are your horses wearing in the rain?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Ben is currently out for about 16 hours a day (when he lets the yard staff catch him that is - otherwise he is out for about 22 hours) so is getting pretty soggy. He is currently in a lightweight turnout rug, but I'm thinking that I might put his MW full neck rug on tonight as it is supposed to rain non stop.

What are your horses wearing in the field at the moment? Are the naked horses warm enough or have you all put rain sheets on? I'm worried about him getting soaking wet and freezing cold, but not sure if I am over reacting or not.

I have just put Daisy's rain mac on last night, she is usually our 24/7 rugless all year but this rain is something else isn't it!
I dont think she is really that bothered as long as she has a bush to hide behind but I feel like I cant sleep worrying about her getting so soggy :wink:

I have a pair of good doers - currently out usually from 8am till 7pm. Neither are rugged and they have no shelter. BUT if this rain carries on I will put rain sheets on tomorrow as its not fair when they cannot shelter. I brought them in early today but they will go back out later for a wee while.

Just wanted to add: Vet always led me to belive they cope ok with cold and dry without rugs but they need either rug or shelter from cold and rain combo. Storm doesn't really like rugs but I think her rainsheet is necessary tomorrow specially whilst I am at work and can't bring her in early. I don't think I'm going soft or maybe I am??!! Fact that they wanted in tells me something....

As it was nice the other day I left them all naked but its now lashing down so will bring them in tonight and dry them off and rug them for the rest of the week as its a mix of rain, sleet and well below 0 for later in the week.

Toby in a no fill rain sheet. Kezzie in NOTHING! it's 6 degrees today, warm enough for grass to grow and it IS growing as my school (area horses cannot get to) as all lush and green in just 2 weeks. Only change i have made is putting toby back on his speedibeet until it becomes more seasonal weather and less soggy. I am not digging out heavier rugs, they don't need it. On the milder days tobs has come in sweaty under his rainsheet so he'd melt in anything else.

I do not worry about a horse that is stabled getting wet. Fair enough if out 24/7 but kezzie gets soaked, comes in and is dried off overnight in a very light cooler and back out naked next day. He'd balloon if i rugged him. Just not needed.

All five out naked, my only poorish doer has got loads of grass so not at all worried.

Thay all have access to mature hedges/trees but are rarely to be seen without their heads down in the middle of the field.

It is very wet but not cold IMO.

Normally out naked, but the paddock he is in at the moment does not have a lot of shelter, so have taken pity as he has also optimistically shed his winter coat, and turned out in a very lightewieght, not no fill, but nearly.

Rain is vile at the moment, interspersed with periods of quite hot sunshine. Its a bugger knowing what to do.

I am proud of Ziggy's ability to cope in all weathers naked, but the poor boy was not coping today. He was shivering, miserable and hungry. I brought him in to the shelter (a good 5 minute walk) at about 1230 and gave him a feed of herbs and a haynet while he dried out with a fleece on.

He went back out in the lower paddock at 1530 with a rain sheet on. I'm off to check him now and if he is toasty I will put him back in the pony paddock with his mates. But he can keep the sheet on overnight.

Just a rain sheet, he's wintered out pretty well, but this morning he was shivering and drenched as he was out naked, I popped his LW turn out on after using a scraper to get rid of excess water and left him in the stable, checked him at lunch and he was fine, so pulled the rug off and let his coat fluff up again now he was dry. Chucked him out tonight in just a sheet.

Mine are tipped out at 6.45am and out until about 5pm. I leave them later if the weather's nice :smile:

Alf is in his Amigo Heavy Plus combo, which is 350g (I think). Rocky is in his Derby House Medium combo (250g) and Stevie is in his Weatherbeeta Orican Combo (should be 300g I think but it's as old as the hills so I think it's lost some of it's warmth). Truffles is in a 250g standard neck but I alternate it daily because the rain runs in the shoulders a bit; his combos are all too heavy. Belle has a Derby House mediumlite combo on :smile: all are warm and dry despite the monsoon! Duvet day tommorow though, the rain is relentless and the fields are struggling to absorb the water as it falls so we're getting mud.

Cob out for 6 hours in lightweight rug which is what people call a rain sheet?
She is nice and warm but as on cliffs it is windy.

2 of mine are out rugless but my little lady is out in a no fill rug on wamer days, then lightweight fill on colder days.

They all do come in at night though to dry off, Buffy has her nice thick stable rug on then :smile:

Clearly MP you have grass!!!!!

We have none, so Tobes wants to come in early and today was out in 70g PE rug with neck! Kind lady bought him in at half three and I don't think there was much argument!!! He went out at 7am this morning.

If there was grass and rain however .................!!!!

Mine have been going out naked and recently gone back to out 24/7 but harvey has got his no fill amigo rainsheet on and Ellie has a 220gram weatherbeeta standard neck on simply because she has ripped a big hole in the bottom of her amigo one so i have got to sew it up!

I did bring them in during the day today as we had really heavy rain but the came in at 10am and put them back out after my son rode at 7.30pm tonight

Well in the last week Seamus has been out naked, had a no-fill, a lightweight, a flyrug with waterproof neck and back, and now in a medium with full neck. Bloody freezing, cold wind and pissing with rain. So sick fed up with it all :(

We have gone back to our WB M/W combo..... Keeps his neck clean!! End march e was nekkid some days :-/

Interesting how we are all different.
I have heard May is going to be cold! Cob has shed her coat, well half of her is summer.

newrider.com