What's changed in your lifetime? Come join me

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Without giving away your age. :D

Photography
Sorting through stuff I have come across slides that my grandad took. Might share if you can get printed these days? no longer got the projector.
I recall the 126 that the film just slotted into the camera before I moved on to the 35mm.
@joosie what do you remember photography wise? I have to say I preferred my old do it yourself SLR, before digital was invented. I saved up for the soft focus slides and it needed is own rucksack to go anywhere! Took me a while to embrace digital to be honest.
As much as I like tech once people started buying their own cameras and using phones they no longer wanted to hire me for shows. They just wanted quick snaps shots. But it was fun for the seasions I did.

Tv
Well it only had THREE channels and no remote.;)

Music
Records LP and those little ones you only got one song on. But, you could stack them and get more songs. Don't know if all record players could do this.

Phones
Fixed to the wall.
Red telephone box moving onto phone cards. I guess that was the start of cashless wasnt it? :eek:

Computers

I remember we got our first PC when I was about 8/9. It was huge and slow and we used to all play solitaire together on it before covering it all over every night with special plastic covers so it didn't get dusty!

And then we got dial up internet, wasn't that always entertaining! I seem to remember not being able to make a phonecall at the same time, you'd have to choose one or the other.

As I grew up I was allowed half an hour a night on the computer to do homework but I'd always end up playing a horse game!

Now my dad and brother both have a PC each and my mum and I have our own laptops. Three of us also have a tablet and then we all have smart phones too.

Yes all the above, we had a computer when I was about 8, it was a BBC with DOS, so we (mainly my oldest brother) wrote our own games, for the most part, before we could play them as I think the only brought game we had was tennis :p

Car phones, those had wires too :D

My bedroom TV when I was a bit older didn't have channel buttons, it had a twisty knob and you had to tune the channel each time and it was black and white :p I got that one as we got a colour one downstairs :D

Reactions: Trewsers
We had that tv that you twisted the dial and the aerial was like a coat hanger.
Never had tv in my room, still don't.

Cars I remember the speed thing was in the centre and the heaters were rubbish.
No seat belts for the rear partners initially becausee cars didn't have those.

Mostly all of the above! We didn't get a colour tv until 1986 - bit slow on at my parents home!lol
I remember when telephones could not be unplugged either! They were hard wired into the house and only the man from Buzby or whatever could fix them or undo them!!!! And they were dial phones too.
Typewriters - I learnt on a proper one with ribbon and you had to be VERY accurate! No correcting ribbon back then or just starting again like on a computer!!! We moved on to electronic typewriters and then word processors. Hmm. Now that makes me feel old.
No such things as flat irons for hair. Hot brushes were the thing or heated rollers!lol
Foundation was always thick and quite heavy, maybe some of the more expensive ones weren't as bad???
People didn't wash their hair every day - some still don't lol personal choice but hair conditioner wasn't big when I was in my early teens and we all seemed to have frizzy hair!!!
Microwaves - I remember my mum getting one. We were all scared and she made us stand well back in the kitchen the first time she used it!!!

I recall getting our microwave. Then choosing between betamax and vhs videos.

The telephone had the speaking clock and music after 6pm want it? Dial type wasnt it beige.
Calculators were allowed in the classroom.
Black board and chalk.

I did my accountancy exams in 1982-5 and wasn't allowed a calculator at all for the first lot!

I got my first computer at work. And my first mobile in about 2000, I was a Luddite late adopter. It was the chrome slidy Nokia that all the WAGs had!

newrider.com