When did you last change your?

Every time i ride i have a different lenght depending on which horse im on and how my knee is feeling. Bally i ride shorter, he is narrower and his saddle which is like @Lissie is more comfortable for me riding shorter (im 5'4") on Logan again shorter as he is narrow and his saddle is an 18" which is far too big for me and riding shorter makes me feel more secure all round in it, the 2 ponies who are wider i ride a hole or 2 longer than the other 2 depending on what im doing,if lots of canter ill be shorter. Currently been back riding 3 weeks after 3 months off and i had all my stirrups longer on all of them the first 2 weeks as it is more comfortable for my knee and the break from riding did make it very uncomfortable when i 1st got back on but i put them all up to normal for each horse last week.
I do however take my feet out my stirrups regular and stretch my legs and ankles, this is more since my knee injury so for parts of the ride i am riding as long as naturally possibly to give some relief to my knee.

I think the knocking on your nobly ankle bone length is meant to be normal GP length, longer for dressage, shorter to jump. I ride in a dressage saddle and I have to just lift my toe a fraction to get my stirrup, its probably not quite half way between, nearer my sole than my nobly bone :)

@newforest I know that feeling! The other week I forgot and put too much leg on and she lept into a huge trot and I was chucked backwards lol. I've started a new thread on my position (which is bloody awful) so as not too go off topic on here.

Reactions: newforest
@newforest I know that feeling! The other week I forgot and put too much leg on and she lept into a huge trot and I was chucked backwards lol. I've started a new thread on my position (which is bloody awful) so as not too go off topic on here.
Will take a look.
Mine isn't forward like yours but she has the power and yes the transition to trot can be enormous.

Reactions: Lissie
She's rocket fuelled. I was once asked what an earth do you feed her? She gets meadow grass hay (low sugar) and grass in the field that's it! Can you imagine if I fed her, I'd never be seen again :p

She's rocket fuelled. I was once asked what an earth do you feed her? She gets meadow grass hay (low sugar) and grass in the field that's it! Can you imagine if I fed her, I'd never be seen again :p
That made me giggle. Yes bye bye Lissie.
I would get pictures of your dust.

I put mine up to 'ridiculously short' for hunting, mainly because I spend most of the time either off his back or sitting between lines, not because I jump. It's not ideal for if we have to trot between lines, but fine for most of the day.

Inspired by @Lissie's thread though I removed by knee blocks last time I rode. Was going to lengthen my stirrups too, but found they felt much longer anyway without the blocks. I really liked being 'blockless', felt lovely and comfortable, although I'm not sure it actually improved my position, and part of the nice feeling was probably because Raf felt good too so was striding out in walk and doing his 'endurance' trot (which I'm not allowed to do in a lesson but just feels the best). However I discovered that my half halt didn't particularly work without the blocks so need to ask my RI's advice about what I'm doing wrong. Raf just felt so narrow that I didn't seem to be able to squeeze anything!

@Bodshi I'm riding a huge heavily built 16.2hh. Dropped my stirrups down this morning and did feel like I was reaching for my stirrups but going to persevere and hopefully be used to longer stirrups for when Lots comes back into work.

If you trust the horse @Lissie ride no stirrups as much as poss, you will lose the reaching for longer stirrups feeling quicker the more no stirrup work you do :) havnt forgot a photo of me in the impala but kids are home now so i wont be riding him for a week or so but will get one soon as i can :)

@mystiquemalaika I don't trust him, he tried to have a bronco fit this morning haha. He's also a bit more spooky than Lottie, she never spooks just keeps going in a straight line (it's all she's interested in, going forwards) but this lad can sometimes see imaginary monsters in the hedge and I don't want to come off on the road.

Thank you! No rush :)

Reactions: orbvalley
When I took my blocks off my legs were swinging around like I was dowsing for water! Completely insecure which is funny as I have no knee rolls/ blocks on the other saddle at all.
I can be 'correct' or lower legs forwards for steep hills and jumping. I do think your terrain has a bearing on your length choice and position. ( that's my excuse and sticking to it unless someone can find me a better one) :D
I only have four lessons per year so we are always work in progress.

Reactions: orbvalley
When I took my blocks off my legs were swinging around like I was dowsing for water! Completely insecure which is funny as I have no knee rolls/ blocks on the other saddle at all.
I can be 'correct' or lower legs forwards for steep hills and jumping. I do think your terrain has a bearing on your length choice and position. ( that's my excuse and sticking to it unless someone can find me a better one) :D
I only have four lessons per year so we are always work in progress.

I don't actually think my knee blocks stop my legs from moving much, because my legs seem to rest on top of them. In my bareback pad (the Christ one) because I have no stirrups my legs hang down behind the thigh/knee rolls (whatever they are) and I feel really secure in it.

I like your terrain reference - one of the reasons I like to have short stirrups and be stood up out hunting is so that Raf can go up and down the bumpy bits without me banging about on his back :D

newrider.com