When was your last fall?

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Had a couple lately so very much in my head at the moment. This might die a death but wondered -

When was the last time you fell off ?
What damage did you do to yourself physically?
What affect do you think it had on your confidence?
Have you recovered (mentally and physically)?
What about your horse, how's he/she doing?

this was my last fall off lol,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uAtw4hgrQ

was last year, and before that hadn't fallen off for a good 4-5 years ?

had a really sore back/ribs fir the next few days as I went straight through the jump :rolleyes:, I always seem to have rather dramatic falls :p

never affected my confidence, as I always get straight back on after a fall :), even it its just to have a wee trot/canter round, but that time the instructor got me to go over the jumps one last time :D

I have constant trouble with my back/knee's from old injury's,

well Timmy is fine (the horse I fell off) he also fell onto his face, nearly flipped right over, lucky he never or I would have been crushed :eek:, but he was fine yeah :D

My last fall was Sunday - see Trec thread!

Bum's a bit sore and think I might have jarred my arm as it's a bit sore too.

Hasn't affected my confidence much - Izzy was a bit naughty and excited, I was a bit unbalanced and nervous. These things happen.

Had a day off riding and just a bit sore now, Don't really worry about it, chalk it up to experience.;)

Don't think Izzy is losing any sleep over it!:rolleyes: Seriously though I don't think it has impacted on our bond, trust or anything. I got back on straight away and I don't think he was being malicious.

Last October when Archie decided that he wanted me and the new super doper new air filled saddle pad off his back pronto!!

To be fair to Arch - he had put in a couple of warning bucks before the bucking then dropping of shoulder trick;) My fault for not listening to what he was telling me. Hadnt fallen off for approx 19 years so it came as a huge shock to hit the deck.

As for how if affected me - well, the next time I rode him, my RI had to walk with me holding a rein just incase, I then decided that I would take the winter off and RI rode him for me. Got very bored and started riding at RS on the very safe horses and then got very bored of not riding my boy so bought Wee Robbie (our other pony) a new saddle and RI started to bring him back into work so that she and I could ride together. Had worked out really well as I will hack Arch out on my own again now.

Dont think it affected Archie although he did seem rather surprised to see me on my back - but I guess it felf better once I was off his:eek:

ETA - didnt really hurt myself, just winded and a bit sore!

Crikey - how odd - terrified of falling off and now I cant even remember when I last did:confused:

think it was about 12 years ago - on Solomon - going along a bridleway huge combine in the field 2 yards away and he was a little unsettled = so took him into the opposite field the other side of the bridleway to ride past, seemed sensible? Yes? ERrr NO!!! 10 feet in front of us was a grass small plane runway, knew it was there but had forgotten that I wouldnt hear the sound of planes taking off because of the deafening sound of the combine!:eek:

Yes you've guessed - a very noisy little bi plane thing took off straight in front of us - so Solly exited right through the corn field, couldnt hold him but managed to circle him a few times, he was starting to slow as I circled around again near my friend who was out with us on her bycycle.

Now felt I had the situation well and truly under control - as I flew past friend I flung my arm out and shouted 'The b****r doesnt want to stop!!' The b****r must have heard me.......planted all four thundering great hooves into the ground and I sailed like Mary Poppins straight over his head!:eek::D

Did quite a bit of damage to my already damaged back - long time in the horizontal position yet again = but the silliest injury was I had my lighter in my joddys pocket (see - smoking is absolutely treacherous:p) and it dug into my groin and had a lump like a testical that any man would have been proud of - it took about 6 weeks to go down!:D

Mine last one was a while ago now feb this year i think....hope im not due another one *frantically touches wood*....:p

Wasnt his fault really...

We had just had a really good schooling lesson and i felt rarther confidant.

I stupidly gave him aload of rien and kicked him onto canter, i saw us very quickly going towards the tree infront of the gate, so i panicked tried to pick up my washing line riens, managed to circle him very tightly away from the tree which ended up in me & the saddle under his belly LOL!

It put me off schooling...and definatly put me off cantering for a while. Just getting back my confidance in schooling now...will leave cantering till im more confidant.

Didnt hurt the slightest though got back on str8 away. Fin didnt seem arsed at all :eek::p:p

LOL, how apropriate!!

Today actually, it wont effect my confidence as Ive fallen off hundreds of times in the past. Ive scrapped my elbow open and it hurts to bend it, sore hip and back. She decided there was a dragon, dropped her shoulder and spun.... her best party trick!! :p:p She used to be effected by it but now just stands with a "O pants, she's not supposed to be down there" look on her face!!

I prob fall off once or twice a yr at the mo which is pretty goo. When I first got my girl it was probably monthly (she's had issues). And few yrs back I was pushing myself really hard after getting back into riding and would fall off weekly.... poor instructor just got used to me doing it!!

I've had pretty serious falls but never done any major damage as such. Plenty of scraps and bruises, few scars, a broken nose and one fall in which I ended up suffering from "Scoliosis" and actually snapped my body protector in half, they recon wihout it it would have been very different. But just makes me more determind to do better and push harder!!

Two weeks ago (Tues). I was trotting and my mare spooked at a shadow and tried to whip round. Muscles aching in my shoulders from trying to keep hold of the reins and her pulling back. She won and took herself home (around 3 miles!) a kind stranger gave me a lift back to the yard and and we arrived at the same time as her! Have ridden past the same place once in company and twice alone since - there was nothing there first time just her being silly. Oh I decided you don't bounce as well as you get older - it was 2 days before my 40!

well i just started typing saying i fell off 2 weeks ago and have just realised it was actually on my birthday at the end of May!! so it was actually about 5.5weeks ago....didnt hurt myself...got straight back on and cantered some more then went out for solo hack....but then after a few days the confidence niggles started and then ever since i have been a bag of nerves cantering in the school. Think its worse because only 2 weeks before that i fell off when she bronco'ed and i pulled something in my knee....i wasnt 100% better and it was still very fresh in my mind.

mentally not recovered from those falls - although i landed on my feet both times. I feel i am gradually getting there confidence wise, and it really helped going out for a blast on a friends pony on monday.

Moet is ok, but i think she lacks confidence cantering too now....just building it slowly again!

5th November 2006. I remember because it was the first day when I got Joy on loan. Obviously didn't put me off though :rolleyes:

On that occasion nothing more than bruised ego and body.

I made me not want to do any fast work alongside a hedgerow. I'm still dubious about it now although I know what she's like so it doesn't bother me too much.

I learnt my lesson. Joy is funny about all things nature!

Same as ever really. She didn;t get hurt, just spooked sideways a bit and my seat was rubbish so I came off. She still a bit of a muppet who does little spooks but nothing to major and easilly manageable for me.

Gosh, um, Now I think about it..... must have been 1997 time, so 13 years ago!

Nothing at that time, although have injured myself badly in falls before!

Nothing, at the time but I have over the years increasingly been more worried about the possibility of falling off.

Yes, although a previous serious fall in 1993 still has a deep imprint on my mind that is not so easy to shake off.

Was beforeI owned my horse so don't know how the horse at the time is doing, probably fine :)

Incidentally after writing this I remembered I have fallen off since but don't know if it counts. I 'fell off' my little mare Lacey in 2008 when someone gave me a leg up a bit too much and I went right up over and off the other side lol, not sure if it counts as the pony was standing still before, during and after lol.:eek:

Haven't fallen off at all since getting into horses for the second time,:) feel like I'm tempting fate, seeing that in black and white.:rolleyes:

Fell off loads of times first time round as a kid and teenager, but was pretty gung ho back then.:D

About 4 weeks ago and before that 4 1/2 weeks ago and before that 4 1/4 weeks ago.... horse started broncing each time I mounted.

The last time I scraped my head on the side of a wall and landed with a thump on my back but fine (was wearing a hat)

I couldn't get back on and now feel sick every time I mount. Once I am on, I am fine.

Mentally - No. I have started making myself get on by myself like I used to but my heart is thumping and and my stomach churns with aprehension every time. Think it will be a while before I can mount in the carefree way I used to... I obviously have a long memory!

Obviously checked his back and saddle etc - all fine. I have moved to a bigger yard and he is a different horse. So relaxed - he doesnt move a hoof when I get on and seems loads more settled in general.

I last fell off Rhia a few months ago when she was having hormone problems. (Had to have vet treatment for) She had been quite giddy and I was riding bareback round the field, she threw in a buck when I asked for trot then stopped dead. I fell off landing on my feet next to her. Only injury was a small cut where the rein had wrapped round my finger :rolleyes: confidence fine, apart from the shock she had got me off because the only other time I have come off her was about 5 years ago.

We were heading for a big log in the woods. At the last minute I thought "Oh no it's too big for her she can't do it" so she stopped. I did a flying somersault over her head landing on my feet the other side of the jump. Everybody found it hilarious!

I am lucky to have such a safe horse, and a cat like tendency to land on my feet :cool:

Last autumn. I went out with a group of horses and finally galloped. I have never gone so fast on Arnie. He was a total doll and we yeeha'd all over the place. We decided to have one last wee easy canter up a hill - and he tripped over a fallen branch, it flew up and hit his belly, he stumbled over it and I came off.

He stood on me on the way over me but it wasnt his fault and he really couldnt avoid me and I had hung on round his neck and ended up right under him.

I had hoof prints on my boobs:eek:

I was okay about my confidence because it was just an accident but I've never flat out galloped again since. I know I wasnt galloping when it happened but I keep thinking "what if that had happened at high speed". I'm not a speedy sort of person though - I enjoy steady cantering with short faster bursts rather than yee ha's.

My last fall was September last year and I broke my upper arm. I was not able to ride for 5 months.
It was not Mac I fell off but he was the only horse I felt safe enough to get back on. The first time I got back on, i went for a solo hack for 20 mins and was back cantering within a few weeks.

My confidence took a nosedive when he played up a few times but once I learnt how to deal with him. My confidence grew and grew.

Sadly Mac passed away a few weeks ago and it has now been nearly a year since I rode a different horse. My confidence is at an all time low. As well as having to deal with my emotions in relation to Mac's passing, I have to deal with my new lack of confidence. It's 3 weeks since I have ridden and I need to get back on but it's just can't imagine riding another horse that is not him. :(

my last fall was about 2 and a half years ago. i was doing some preamble to backing kez and when laid over his back got mum to walk him on. Kez decided nope, he didn't like that and started broncing, catapulting me off the side. didn't hurt myself fortunately. It did make me a little wary of Kez but i couldn't let it get to me because of him being a baby and needing me to be super confident. I moved on and didn't think about it. Freaked Kez out a little bit but it was a good indicator that he wasn't ready to be ridden so we slowed right down and have him another 18 months before starting backing again. There's certainly been no long term damage to him, he's a chilled little dude :) my RI was saying at the weekend having Kez has actually been the best thing for me and my confidence wibbles. I haven't been able to wimp out, i've had to do things and feign confidence.

My last fall was in May, about 3 weeks after getting Ziggy.

Like an eejit I decided to canter him bareback though I knew he was anxious. He went faster, I tried to stop him, lost my balance, went right over his head and landed right on mine.

I landed very hard (on a sand track) and was quite shaken up; two black eyes and a sore face and neck, bad whiplash really. I've just started seeing a chiropractor to sort me out and apparently I was 1" shorter on the left side than the right! Ziggy stopped at once and just looked mildly at me as if to say, "What are you doing down there?"

It did affect my confidence for a while, but more to the point it made me more thoughtful and sensible about what I ask Zigs to do. I have cantered him again in the school and will go on cantering only in the school until he feels confident with going faster outside. We've worked up to a little trot every now and again, once that is going well will be the time to step it up.

I certainly feel that at 50 I don't bounce the way I used to!!!

I Fell off a weeks ago nothing major just a minor fall but I havent allowed myself to do anything really risky on the horses since my below fall which shattered my confidence.

I had a really bad fall two years back... I was hacking my mare and took her into a canter alongside other horses and she just bolted. She ran blindly though hedges open fields dirt tracks and no matter what I did I couldnt stop her and this I put down to nerves. When I managed to slow her she came to a skidding halt and I went over head and this is when she decided to jump straight down on top of me and gallop across me. I was trampled and landed on not a nice experience at all.

Three cracked ribs, fractured wrist and ankle plus very bad bruising.

My confidence was completely and utterly shattered I didnt want to do any fast work in places where she could possibly bolt or take a hold which meant staying in the menage always. It has been only over the past few weeks through friends and sharers help that have I started to hack out again although now hacks are always controlled and I only canter uphill and this is if I have the nerve. :frown:

I am still very, very nervous about fast work if someone asks for a canter on a hack or even in the menage my heart starts racing I anticipate that I am going to fall off always its like my mind tells me "your going to fall, your going to fall". The fall literally took me back to square one in my riding like I was a novice all over again. I felt like I had no control of any horse that I was riding and I was just useless. Plus you dont bounce as well in your early 30's as you did as a child you tend to break rather than bounce and boy did I break.

I have had a hell of alot help with her training from sharers, instructors and friends. My confidence is slowly coming back as she becomes better I become better although the cantering is all in my mind friends who have cantered and hacked her said she has been absolute angel stopped and slowed when asked 1million times the horse she was when I had the fall. Its my confidence rather than hers that I need to work on x:banghead:

My last fall was January 2009 on a cold, foggy day. Totally unexpected, was more shocked than hurt! It dinted my confidence so badly I had to be put on a lead rein by OH for months, right back to square one! I was a bit bruised but it winded me more than anything. Storm was just fine, she had me deposited on the floor exactly where she wanted me! Took ages for her to stop doing it, it had almost become a habit (bucking the moment I'd climbed on board). I think it was mainly cos she wasn't getting any turn out at all and she sensed I'd lost my confidence too which didn't help.

newrider.com