When was your last fall?

When was the last time you fell off ?

About a month ago - Charlie tripped over her own feet in trot and I flew over her head!

What damage did you do to yourself physically?

Just a bruised bum, landed right on the ONLY blooming pole in the paddock! I'm well padded tho

What affect do you think it had on your confidence?

Nothing. I try to learn from falling off. The usual lesson is SIT UP!

Have you recovered (mentally and physically)?

Yes, from this one. I still get twinges in my back from a fall a fre years ago though.

What about your horse, how's he/she doing?

She just looked a bit bemused!

2 days ago! Asked for one last canter in the school, having done several on both reins perfectly, he twisted and I went out the side door!

I feel very achy and bruised but am now wondering if Ive cracked a rib? I haven't been to A&E as I didnt think I was hurt but my side is now hurting quite badly.

I think it has rocked my confidence a little as was very unexpected.

Not from this one yet as only 2 days ago. I have just recovered from a fractured spine from last September which has taken a while to get over.

He is fine and totally unaffected.

2 years ago, the last time I rode my horse. Decided he was in the wild west and became a bucking bronco...1st and only time he had done it, I managed to sit for what seemed like an ages and then Exit side door. :cry:

Twisted my knee so couldn't walk for a couple of days. :redface:

Totally destroyed it....Sent said horse (Heathcliff) to remedial trainer :timebomb:who then let him rip his leg apart in some electric fencing, so now 2 years on, still can't ride him as :-

1. Can't get a saddle to fit the fatso
2. Not really doing enough to find saddle to fit fatso as good excuse not to ride him
3. I do lie a little, I have ridden (well if that's what you call it!) for about 10 mins, was shaking so much I couldn't even hold the reins! :banghead::banghead:

Physically, totally - Mentally, nope and won't until I do get on with it. Hate myself for being such a wimp and I will do it! :furious:

Loves being a field ornament! :sluggish:

awww Maggiemoo I know exactly how you feel trust me once you get back on board your confidence will come back slowly but surely. I am two years on and I still get the jitters everytime I ride it gets easier x

About 2/3 months ago...........windy and rain plus chilly weather sent my horse a bit............loopy and he spooked and i wasnt ready......sp went out the backdoor!!

I've had a few falls on him -

1st - 6 weeks after I got him......reared vertical 3 times on main road...half bailed half fell off.......

2nd - riding bareback...no balance ;) need i say more :bounce::bounce:

3rd - CR SJ at keyso, had to go straight in at 2'6 (missed smaller)
mick went left (napped towards horses) and i kept going right

4th - really bad fall at XC schooling.......bad landing on both parts couldnt get up for about 40minutes, he had to be trailored home.

5th.........was the one i mentioned first, when he spooked!

Not fallen off since *touch wood*

Yesterday!!! Whilst galloping. Sounds more spectacular than it was. I was reaching the end and slowing down, tried to cirlce right but Bromps went left and we parted company. Whoops.

I think I've got bit of whiplash. Shoulders very, very stiff and base of my head hurts. Also have very stiff neck and can't look over my right shoulder. My elbow hurts too, must have knocked it. Apparently I landed on my head first then my shoulders.

This is gonna sound weird, but I'm glad I fell off. I was over-confident - falling had never entered my head. I'm very glad my husband was there and also another girl from the yard. Got straight back on and did it again, only this time we both went left and I stayed on. I have no worries about galloping again but I won't go on my own - I had planned to, which I now think is a bit dangerous cos if I had needed help I wouldn't have had anyone.

Mentally no probs but I'm still sore physically.

She was wonderful. She wandered a few yards and stood there looking a bit confused. She then looked about for grazing realised there wasn't any and came back over to me. She was more than happy to gallop again and got the biggest apple when we got home!

Only just seen this...

I last fell off last summer - cantering out on a hack bareback - talk about asking for trouble!
Thankfully I was fine, my own stupid fault - I couldnt balance going from trot to canter, and gripped with legs so she went faster - she was being perfectly obedient just my shocking riding! Happened several times over, then she decided to race another pony and that was game over!

Didnt hurt myself, and knew it had happened out of stupidity and poor riding, not her fault really.

She was very pleased, wandered off eating!

...Oh ETA Ive fallen off since then... In winter, bareback again at a walk going down the road and she spooked at a gate blowing in the wind... My stupidity again. And now she stops dead if she feels me wobble!

When was the last time you fell off ? couple months ago in a lesson

What damage did you do to yourself physically? nothing

What affect do you think it had on your confidence? a fair bit.....although at the time it didnt

Have you recovered (mentally and physically)? yes

What about your horse, how's he/she doing? perfectly fine!

7th February 2010, the day it all went down hill

not much, had a bruise on my lower back, landed on my back / bum, it would of been more painfull it i wasnt wearing BP

a lot. have been petrified of riding in open spaces since, so much so only been back to meadow once and i was so scared, mouth went dry, i went pale, i was shaking. i even get nervous in the school now as she picks up on my nerves and im scared she will bomb of with me in the school, i tried walking her over a trotting pole and she cantered, so many tears since that day

physically yes, mentally- no way, i can only walk and trot her on roads now

shes fine, were looking for a new home for her though (see below :redface: ) as its no life for a TB x to be walking and trotting on roads all the time, she has been ridden on the meadow by a friend though and she was fine, its just me

Oh bless MinnieMoo, I started this thread after one bummer of a fall (literally - I've still got a numb ass from the experience two months on!).
Do you think you'll keep riding, do you have other horses?

April 2010. Silly boy hates bicycles so we were doing some desensitisation very slowly and carefully. However, he decides to rear up and nearly goes right over, sitting down on his bum, then rolls onto me as he gets up.

Broken big toe, internal bruising to nerves and soft tissue of foot, ankle and pelvis. Could not walk for a few weeks. No riding for around 6 weeks.

Initially, just terrified that he would rear again. It was the first time he has reared in his 11 years. But once a rearer blah blah...
I am fine in the school but out in the field I get a bit nervy. Flashbacks and all that.

Physically - Broken toe still really hurts and pains a lot. So does my ankle and foot. Still recovering from accident 2 years ago to the same foot and ankle LOL. I think I have arthritus in it now.

Horse is fine as long as he doesn't meet any bicycles. Hence cannot hack him out anymore except around my field. He does have a tendency now when he spooks to rock on the spot and get very light on his front feet, so, when he does this, I immediately think he is going rear again, so he gets a good dig in the ribs with the spurs.

I still love him loads.

Oh bless MinnieMoo, I started this thread after one bummer of a fall (literally - I've still got a numb ass from the experience two months on!).
Do you think you'll keep riding, do you have other horses?

yeah i will keep on riding, i still ride her out on roads, we have a nice ride we go on which we can get away from traffic but still enclosed as its round the private drive of a very large house which enters on one road, leaves on another but its not much fun, we do have a 3 year old new forest pony (Minnie) who we are backing this summer so she will keep me busy when we do find a home for annie between finding another but its gunna be hard getting my nerve back, a friend is going to dig out the details of a hypnotheripist for me which really helped her when she lost her confidence, but its just a waiting game for finding the right home for Annie

and claire ouch! hope your toe gets better soon

End of May, a few weeks after I got Lily. She spooked in the school and took off in canter (we had been trotting circles), ended up on the gravel section (the school was being enlarged but the surface hadn't been put down yet), that freaked her out even more and she took off to the other end of the school, nearly ran into the fence then turned sharply and stumbled. I came off over her shoulder and she ran over me!

Quite a lot of bruises and a deep cut on my chin.

It dented my confidence quite a lot because the hospital said I couldn't ride for three weeks so I had all that time to build it up in my head and was a nervous wreck when I first got back on her. We had a lesson and I was like jelly at the start but fine by the end of it. I am still a bit wary of riding her if there is nobody around in case something happens but I have been getting her to canter on the lunge on steadily smaller circles to build her balance. I still haven't cantered her intentionally but that is because I am waiting for my RI to say my position is good enough because I don't want to unbalance her myself (she's only 6) - or thats what I am telling myself anyway :tongue:

I still have the scar on my chin but otherwise I've healed quite well. Mentally I think I still have a little way to go but it is getting there - since the fall I have hacked her out alone and in company and had quite a few lessons trying to correct my position and stop tipping forward (which seems to be much easier in my new cob saddle :inlove:) so I think it won't be long before we are ready to canter intentionally :happy:

She didn't seem bothered in the slightest, after she ran me over she just went to the edge of the school and started munching the weeds

Errr......I can't acutally remember....I think it was about three years ago when Puz put in a sharp yet mahoosive buck coz she was feeling a little cheeky. I suddenly realised I was dangling out of the side door so let myself slide to the floor in a heap.

I guess it was complacency on my part that meant I was unprepared, she used to do this all the time but not so much for a few years prior to my little tumble.

A good few years ago (about 7 or 8) Puz spooked at something in a bush and her legs gave way as the ground was slippy and she went down on top of me, I was basically still in a riding position. I was bruised but that was about it. I've had a few falls over the years, one into a jump, one into a ditch, but to be honest this thread has made me realise that I haven't fallen off in ages, and the thought of falling off doesn't really bother me yet when Puz spooks/thinks of bucking/I think of the day I have to ride an exhuberant young pony out in the world I get a little nervous......why do I do that??? hehe

My sister has had a few dodgy falls, her mare is 16.1hh and back then didn't have quite so much control over her legs so the last time the lil sis fell off she got kicked on the way down, the bruise on her shin was so bad it was the same size as her knee!!!

It can be really nerve wracking when you've come off a few times in a row, but I always remember reading that nine times out of ten if you just relax as you fall then you'll be ok (I know there are some that are not this simple). I used to ride a horse that was a bit of a nut job and although I only came off once over the years, she reduced me to feeling like a total beginner, I had to go back to being led, still have issues when long necked horses put their heads up (slowly getting over this) and at one point was crying at the thought of riding. But there comes a point where you have to grit your teeth and when you get those feelings, stop yourself and put them out of your mind. The lady I ride out with is quite nervous, but as we spend most of our time at a fairly leisurely pace and nattering away (plus Puz is pretty steady) she is starting to relax

This seems an odd topic to discuss, especially related to confidence issues!!!:unsure:

For me the last thing I want to recall is the last time I fell off, but concentrate on all the great things I feel I've achieved since that time.:bounce:

Reliving those moments and dredging out the emtions attached to them will only serve to reinforce in my brain that riding is dangerous, it hurts and is scary!!!:help: Which I have spent a lot of time and effort to get rid of.

However, if you find it helps then that's also okay! I don't want to be accused of being argumentative! LOL!!! Just seems an 'odd' thread in the Confidence Club.:giggle:

July 08

Nothing it was in slow motion!

None, I laughed 'cause all I could think when I was flying through the air and doing my forward roll was "Boy I haven't fallen off since I was 12 this is going to hurt!"

Yup

He only got two steps forward, realised he'd just bucked mum off and then came and stood over me sniffing while I was lying giggling on the ground! He was a bit traumatised 'cause he was shaking when I got up, think he used to get hit if he had been naughty x

I think....it must've been 2 years ago.

My old pony Twig and I went to a local show and it was raining; that horrible fine mist like rain that gets you soaked without you really realising that it's raining.

We entered the clear round which was tiny and involved a 180 degree turn between 2 fences on the course. He was excited although not going that quickly and we turned and fell. Legs just went from under him and weeee down we went.

No damage to me and no obvious damage to pony although he got a week off as I suspected he'd be sore.

I don't mind talking about the negative things as I often find I keep them to myself for fear of sounding like an idiot in front of people - but in fact if somebody lures the information out of me I feel a lot better for getting it off my chest.

I can be a nervous nelly and am especially fearful of falling off. No idea why really... I've enough paddig to do not any serious damage :giggle: (Oh famous last words...)

To date the only fall I've had off Roxy was last June sometime. I was riding on my own in the menage at the old yard, we weren't quite using the right tack at the time and I asked Roxy to 'stand'. She didn't immediately and I don't know why but I *think* she chucked in a bit of a buck for good measure - either that or she leap forward for some reason - but either way I lost my balance over the right shoulder. I'm sure it was a buck as I was a bit sore in the baby maker area for a bit after... :giggle:

Realising I'd gotten to the point of no return I jumped out of the stirrups and managed to turn 180 degrees before landing on my feet just in front of Roxy :unsure: She looked at me a bit scared as if to say "what on earth happened there?!" Think we were both a bit confused as to what happened!

Anyway we decided to call it a day there & then. Got back on the next day (or the day after) with some help from a friend who had to walk us round on a leap rope (highly embarrassing) but it helped massively.

This seems an odd topic to discuss, especially related to confidence issues!!!:unsure:

For me the last thing I want to recall is the last time I fell off, but concentrate on all the great things I feel I've achieved since that time.:bounce:

Reliving those moments and dredging out the emtions attached to them will only serve to reinforce in my brain that riding is dangerous, it hurts and is scary!!!:help: Which I have spent a lot of time and effort to get rid of.

However, if you find it helps then that's also okay! I don't want to be accused of being argumentative! LOL!!! Just seems an 'odd' thread in the Confidence Club.:giggle:

LOL :redface: I get where you're coming from nicolaj, but I don't feel that the confidence club is exclusively for when things are going well, we should be able to discuss the bad times and the good. I really wish I could sweep my past falls under the carpet but unfortunately my brain hasn't let me where riding is concerned and I was interested to hear how other people have come back from bad experiences. Something about safety in numbers and acknowledging that although there have been some really crappy times, we're all still here and enjoying our horses. I did notice a thread with a link for a website discussing some very serious accidents involving horses and chose not to look at it so as not to jeopardise my very shakey new found confidence so I do see what you mean and don't at all think you're being argumentative.

newrider.com