Why a Pelham?

G

Gwenllian

I do apologise for my ignorance, but what is a Pellham bit for?? When I had my horse, I watched him ridden in a Pelham.He is so well behaved(note well behaved, not well schooled) that you could almost ride him in his head collar.The young girl mumbled something about him not liking to go into his corners on the right rein.This I now know to be true, and since I've suddenly developed a taste for dressage, I'm working until my legs ache to try and school him and sort this out.He does insist on going round to the right with his head pointing left, and since he sticks his head down when I trot on this rein, he makes me feel very insecure.I ride him in a egg-butt snaffle.Would a Pelham help?? He certainly doesn't need it for brakes.He is not a plod, but he is very obedient about slowing down and stopping.He has had his tack, back and teeth checked, and he has had some 'treatment' from a Chiropractor, who said he had stiff hips (he's 17),but that he could be reflecting my stiff hips...well I can't do anything about that I'm afraid.Any body got any ideas??

I don't know about pelhams, Gwenllian, but you asked for thoughts, so here are a couple of things that I've found helpful for improving suppleness (the pony and I are both pretty elderly and stiff...).

If your legs are aching, maybe your horse is not answering to them willingly enough, and you should back them up with a stick. ( I know he's a saintly character, I'm not talking about punishment, but just a light tap if he doesn't respond after the first or second time).

There's an exercise where you ride in a spiral into the centre of a circle (at walk or trot), then out again, keeping the bend and using the inside leg.

Turns on the forehand.

Someone on the ground who can see exactly what you're doing and what's going on.

Heather is the pelham expert, but at the risk of making a total fool of myself, I think i am right in that a sensitive use of a pelham esp on two reins allows refinement of the aids. It was never designed to be used as a Strong Bit to brake a disobedient horse. I have been told, and using the logic above,it makes sense that a pelham with roundings is a waste of time. I am sure that Heather will correct me but i hope i have helped.

YES! YES! YES!
A pelham with roundings is a waste of time. If you can't handle two reins with sympathy and confidence pelhams are best avioded. Get some really good tuition in two reins, everyone has to start somewhere. Then try one. If your horse and you are happier, and schooling goes well it's the right bit.
But I couldn't agree more that roundings are useless.
Do you use a dropped nose band with your snaffle, just a thought it might help.
I used to use one with my stallion, you do have to be aware at all times what each rein is doing, you could make life worse.

newrider.com