Why does she do the broncho act?

Ziggy

Apr 5, 2000
Hungerford, Berks, UK
Visit site
My mare is on the whole a sweet tempered thing, keen to please and learn. But every so often she "goes off on one". About a month ago we were out hacking, all was quiet then all of a sudden she rounded her back and jumped into the air with all four off the ground, just like a broncho. Unfortunately I fell off and hurt my back hip and leg, somehow I got back on her because I knew I couldn't walk home. She was like a lamb. Because of my injuries I employed a professional jockey who has done wonders with other horses to ride her. He rode her a few times and couldn't fault her, well apart from her nervousness of traffic. Then yesterday he put his foot into the stirrup and she went mad. I have only ridden her the night before in the school and was perfectly behaved and did everything I asked of her. The broncho act started in December, to be fair to her she has only done it about 4 times but for no apparent reason. I have had her teeth and tack checked by professionals, all seems fine. She is only 6 and I don't want to give up with her, I am sure there is a reason for it but what I don't know. My vet is coming tomorrow to give her a full examination to see if there is aproblem with a muscle or her back or something. Sitting down a thinking about things seriously she always plays up when the farrier does her offside front and she isn't happy when I groom her offside - my hopes are that this is because she has a problem that we can rectify, otherwise I don't know what to do because she is a little dangerous to ride and I don't want either of us to get hurt. Don't worry I am not the kind of person to pass my problems onto someone else,, my mare will stay with me whether I can solve the problem or not.
Has anyone else had a similar problem, if so what caused it?

Have you had her long? It may be worth asking her previous owners, if you know them, about her history - although you can't be guaranteed an honest answer.

I think you should wait and see what the vet has to say - you've done all the right things - I'd have done the same - ie, check tack, teeth and back.

Something must be setting her off - horses do not normally exhibit such behaviour for no reason.

Good luck with the vet - keep us all posted.

newrider.com